In keeping with the theme of healthy foods for the upcoming new year, today’s post is about one of the staples in my smoothie-making kitchen: protein powder. I’ve had a few in my line-up for several years, both vegan and non-vegan, but the Sunwarrior Warrior Blend in the Natural flavor is a regular addition to my ingredient list.
Full disclosure: this is a sponsored post, but I only review products that I believe in 100%; all opinions are my own. I’m also hosting a giveaway, don’t miss the link at the bottom of this post!
Truth be told, I wish I had used protein powders more liberally in the past, because I feel more energized when I use them (don’t miss my 10 Reasons to Love Green Smoothies post). The ingredient list on this particular Sunwarrior brand is so clean, too:
- Proprietary Protein Blend (Raw Organic Pea Protein, Raw Cranberry Protein, Raw Organic Hemp Seed Protein)
- Medium Chain Triglycerides from Coconut
When I make a green smoothie, I almost always steam my greens gently first to reduce the oxalates and improve digestibility. Then, I use frozen fruit, a varying selection of raw nuts and seeds, water, and greens to layer it up in my Blendtec (see recipe below):
The last step is to add the Sunwarrior Warrior Blend. I’m sure the Vanilla and Chocolate Warrior Blend flavors are great, too, but I just like to keep it simple with the Natural flavor:
This smoothie has the flavors of fresh mint, too:
If you have picky eaters in the house, feel free to leave out the greens and you’ll have a much prettier version of this dairy-free, plant-based shake:
The printable recipe:Print
Vegan Protein Shake
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Smoothie
- 1 medium bunch fresh kale, stems removed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons MCT oil
- 1 medium frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 5-10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 small lime, juiced (about two tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 scoops Sunwarrior protein powder
- Place the kale leaves and spinach in a steamer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the water, hemp seeds, steamed greens (use tongs to prevent burning yourself), frozen banana, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen pineapple, mint, lime juice, cocoa powder, and protein powder to a high-speed blender.
- Blend on the “smoothie” program, or on high until ingredients are completely blended and smooth.
- Serve cold.
Items recommended for this recipe (some affiliate codes included):
- Blendtec high-speed blender (read my full review of the Stealth model here)
- Sunwarrior Warrior Blend protein powder in Natural
- Organic hemp seeds
- Non-alkalized organic and fair-trade cocoa powder
- High-quality MCT oil like the Bulletproof Brain Octane
Sunwarrior has offered to send one lucky reader a container of Warrior Blend in the flavor of your choice. To enter, please use the Rafflecopter link; one winner with an address within the continental U.S. will be randomly selected on Saturday, December 19th: