Two cool things to share with you today, the first being this recipe for Coconut Buckwheat Cereal Mix. This is a great blend to make ahead of time to serve with berries and your choice of non-dairy milk (homemade coconut milk is a great option) or even a homemade raw milk kefir or yogurt.
To start, you’ll want to get some coconut flakes that are unsweetened:
The flakes are easily toasted at 325 degrees for 5-7 minutes when spread out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet:
Your choice of about one cup total of nuts and seeds is a nice way to add protein and nutrition your mix. I like these raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds from Vitacost.com (I am not an affiliate, but new customers get $10 off using this link):
Combine everything in a bowl:
For storage, I’ve been using the silicone-wrapped glass bowls from Lifefactory.com (full disclosure: I was sent a set of the bowls, but all opinions are my own):
I love how the tops have a clasp to keep them secure, not to mention that all the materials are BPA/BPS-free and fully resuable:
Here’s the recipe for this gluten- and grain-free blend:Print
Coconut Buckwheat Cereal Mix
- Yield: 8
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes*
- 2 cups buckwheat groats that have been soaked, rinsed, and dehydrated at 115°F for at least 8-10 hours
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ raw sunflower seeds
- *To toast coconut flakes, heat your oven to 325°F. Spread coconut flakes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, keeping a close eye on the flakes so they do not burn. Let flakes cool on the pan for 10 minutes before using.
- Combine toasted coconut flakes, buckwheat groats, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Serve with your favorite non-dairy milk (homemade coconut milk is a great option).
- Store in a glass container the fridge for up to a month.
Finally, the ‘peeps at Lifefactory would love to send one lucky reader a set of four of these storage bowls, two 2-cup and two 4-cup sizes. Woo-hoo! I’ll select the winner at random on Monday, March 9th. Continental U.S. residents only, must be over the age of 18 to enter:
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!
Note: this post was submitted to the Fat Tuesday link-up party hosted by Real Food Forager.