What a special honor to review my friend Amie Valpone’s beautiful and inspiring cookbook Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body:
You probably know Amie best from her blog where she shares healthy, plant-based recipes that have helped her recover from chronic disease. This book is her first and it was just released March 8th, so consider yourself in the know, ha ha.
Amie asked if I would do a review and share one of the recipes from the book and OF COURSE I said yes. The recipe I chose is her Spicy Tahini Drizzle that is meant to go along with her Sunrise Nori Wraps (see printable recipe below):
Don’t the rolls look gorgeous? I am kind of obsessed with tahini-based sauces, so that’s the part that I made at home:
I’ve made this “drizzle,” I call it a dressing, going on four times already! I’m putting it on everything, like salads as mentioned in my last blog post (in this case it does look like a drizzle, though. Oops!):
Amie’s version calls for Chickpea Miso which I found at the health food store:
It’s basically fermented chickpeas and looks like so:
Turns out I prefer the Shiro Miso that is made from rice and soybeans, but you can use either one, depending on your tolerance to soy products and sensitivity to FODMAPS which I often struggle with:
This recipe is so easy to make, although I must insist that you use fresh lemon juice, it’s kind of key to the balance of flavors (I found this out the hard way and left it out one time):
Once you combine the ingredients into a high-speed blender, it literally takes all of 30 seconds to make:
I’m so excited for Amie and her book. She is an incredible health warrior and survivor, and she worked so hard to put together everything that she learned on her journey into this resource:
Here’s the printable recipe for the wraps + tahini (Text excerpted from EATING CLEAN, © 2016 by AMIE VALPONE. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.):
- For the Wraps:
- 4 nori seaweed sheets
- ¼ small head red cabbage
- very thinly sliced 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 small yellow summer squash, julienned
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- For the Spicy Tahini Drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tablespoons chickpea miso paste
- 1 tablespoon raw tahini
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- water, as needed to thin the drizzle
- Place the nori sheets on a flat surface. Divide the cabbage, carrot, squash, cucumber, and avocado among the sheets. Top each pile of vegetables with a heaping tablespoon of the Spicy Tahini Drizzle, and then roll up the nori sheets into a tube shape.
- Make the tahini: Combine all of the ingredients except the water in a blender. Blend, adding water 1 teaspoon at a time as you go, until the mixture becomes a thin sauce.
Oh hey, I’m giving away a copy too! Use the Rafflecopter link below to enter. One lucky winner who has an address within the continental U.S. will be selected at random on March 16, 2016. Good luck!!!
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance. Note: there may be some affiliate links within this post.