I was tending to a sick husband all of last week and resting a ton so I didn’t get his cold, but I’m sooooo relieved that I fought it off and he’s finally feeling better! 🙌🏼😀💪
Sugar is particularly draining on the immune system, but treats were necessary for our emotional health (ha), so I made these easy date-sweetened, raw cookies that have the delicious flavor combination of chocolate and orange, with the optional superfood ingredient of vitamin C powder made from whole foods.
Orangey-ness can also come from using fresh zest:
I found everything I needed at iHerb.com and I’ve linked directly to each item in the recipe. Full disclosure: I am part of the rewards program with iHerb.com where I get a small commission from purchases when you use the links on my page. New customers can also get $5 off their first order using my code: GQM053.
Here’s the printable recipe with links to the specific brands I used:
- 1½ cups organic raw almonds, preferably soaked, rinsed, and dehydrated*
- ½ cup organic hemp seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened organic dried coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
- 1 scoop vitamin C powder made from whole foods
- ⅛ teaspoon organic orange flavor or zest of one large orange
- ½ teaspoon ground organic Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 cup pitted organic unsulfured dates
- *Optional first step: place almonds in a glass bowl and cover with filtered water. Soak overnight and rinse thoroughly. Then, place almonds on a flat tray and dehydrate at 115°F for 12-14 hours, or until completely dry.
- Add almonds, hemp seeds, coconut flakes, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vitamin C powder (optional), orange extract or zest, and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor. Turn on high for about 30 seconds.
- Then, with the processor on high, feed the dates one by one into the tube of the food processor, and run for about 2 minutes, or until the ingredients start to form into a ball. Stop and use a spatula to scrape down the sides, if necessary.
- Use your hands to form the dough into 12-15 cookies, and refrigerate them until completely chilled before serving.
To make your life even easier, I’ve added all of the items in the ingredients list to a shopping cart at iHerb.com; just click here to find them ready to go. 🙂
Other essential items recommended for this recipe: