An Omnivore’s Photo Food Journal

This is my first photo food journal since my big diet change from earlier this summer, but I thought you might want to see more of what I’m eating these days (you can also see a full list of my previous photo journals here).

Note: if you’re suffering or in recovery from an eating disorder, feel free to skip this post or, at the very least, consider it as entertainment and not as a guide for the amount of food to eat in a day. Everyone is different and you should consult your health professional for dietary advice.

While I went through a long period of drinking green smoothies every morning, that got a little old and so now I’m alternating between those and days where I start with a green juice followed by cereal.

The juice fixin’s (candy cane beets, cukes, lemon, carrots, and parsley):

Green juice fixins' Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Served in an adorable vintage-style green Mason jar I found at the hardware store:

Green juice in a vintage Mason jar from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

My breakfast cereal included unsweetened coconut yogurt, homemade almond milk, blueberries, buckwheat groats, cinnamon, cacao nibs, molasses, and Sacha Inchi protein powder (a great plant-based source of omega-3’s!) from Vitacost’s Earthblends line (use this link for $10 off your first order):

Breakfast cereal from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

The Sacha Inchi powder tastes like peanut butter to me which is never a bad thing:

Buckwheat cereal from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Unpictured to go along with the cereal was a mug of my Chocolate Mint Tea.

Lunchtime included a salad with wild salmon that I ordered online from Vital Choice (I just became an affiliate, too, because I really love what they do). I made the salmon pretty much exactly the way I made my Maple Baked Tofu, btw:

Wild salmon salad from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Dessert was some dark chocolate, I looove this brand I get at Trader Joe’s (note to self: need to do an updated Top 10 Favorite TJ Items):

My favorite dark chocolate from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Dinnertime was a new fave: ground bison cooked with chopped kale and mushrooms and served with a slice of cheddar cheese and sauerkraut (weird combo, I know, but it hit the spot):

Ground bison dish from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

And, because I was still hungry, I cooked a plantain for the first time in my life. I found it at the market near the regular bananas, but you can see the difference between them here (plantain is on the bottom). You want to let it get really black before using it for the most sweetness:

Banana vs. plantain from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

The flesh is slightly pink:

Chopped plantain from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

I cooked it with a teensy bit of coconut oil:

Fried plantains from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

And served it with some almond milk; pretty tasty but not sweet enough for me:

Fried plantain from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

My day ended with a gorgeous sunset off my new balcony:

Sunset from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.comLife is good!!!

I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter.

Comments

1. Geoffrey Levens, L.Ac. says

No surprise about Sachi inichi flavor as I think they are actually an indigenous, wild, jungle peanut!

I LOVE plantains. They get pinker (more carotinoids) the riper they get. Often cooked when totally green and pale, no love there. If you wait until peel is totally black they are delicious raw! Also good raw when like the one in your photo but the more black on peel, the sweeter. Amazing how “filling” they are.

Okay, cool, Geoffrey, thanks for the input in the plantains. I had a feeling I didn’t wait long enough to cook that one, but I was getting impatient after it had already been sitting on my counter for a week! Anywho, I’ve also heard they are incredibly high in resistant starch, so that must account for the filling factor.

2. Geoffrey Levens, L.Ac. says

:) Also about 1/3 more calories per lb than bananas. They can be cooked at any stage, but if you eat them raw the riper the better for flavor. I love them cut up or even mashed and put into a curry dish!

Stumbled on this recipe awhile back and tweaked it to my needs (I use flax instead of egg and bake on parchment paper instead of fry). I filled two ways, both were wonderful– 1) frozen blueberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon) and 2) sautéd onion, mushroom, garlic, red bell pepper etc.

I could never make her method of folding them work so I just made two disks, stacked filling on top of one in place for baking, and the other was sitting on piece of waxed or parchment paper and I just flipped it over on top. Then crimp edges.

WOW, what an awesome looking recipe!!! I had no idea that plantains could be used in place of flour. Brilliant. I love your idea to bake them instead of frying, too. Now I regret throwing away the plantains I had left over, but I’m going to get some more soon and try this. Thanks, Geoffrey! :0)

• Geoffrey Levens, L.Ac. says

I found it looking for recipes for traditional Ecuadorian cooking before I moved here. Surprised the heck out of me too!

3. Linda says

Just curious, do you soak & dehydrate your buckwheat groats before using them? My boys prefer it that way, crunchier. Do you know if that increases nutritional value, or whether it’s just for ‘fun’ factor?

Hi Linda! Yes, I def soak and dehydrate the groats before using, otherwise they taste really gross to me. I think there is some nutritional benefit, but it might have to do with rinsing away some of the oxalates, kind of like sprouting.

Your new home seems so positive between that fab kitchen and a beautiful view. I just wanted to mention, I am trying to get off of a SAD diet and trying to lose weight but if I ever ate all that food you just showed for one day, omg I don’t think I would lose an ounce. Every bit of it looks delicious.

Ha ha, thanks Judy! Well, I have gained some weight recently, but I needed to, to support my hormones. The key for managing my weight (not gaining or losing too much) is to not feel restricted. I highly recommend the book Intuitive Eating to get rid of the diet mentality and develop a healthy relationship with food. It’s one of the best resources I’ve ever found, and I am no longer obsessive about my food which is a lot considering I have dieted and hated my body for the good part of 30 years.

5. Sarah says

Oh how I love Sacha Inichi Seeds!!!! There used to be a company that even made Sacha Inichi butter thats was absolutely delicious, but it seems they went out of business :( And I bet Sacha Inichi + Planatin would make for an excellent combination! Once I had them as chips with guacamole and it was one of the best combos ever – though your combo sounds quite delicious too! I’ve been wanting to give them a a try again, so I think you have just moved them up higher up on my list :) Also, I’d love to hear more about your experience with Vital Choice. I’m looking for a good source of seafood too, but have wondered about the mail delivery and all.

Carrie, everything looks delicious! I adore plantains and like another commenter said, the riper (i.e. the more black they are) the more sugary sweet. The greener, the starchier (great for making grain-free breads!). P.S. Love the new blog layout!