Keep Calm and…

Keep Calm and Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

This is a big day for me…the launch of Carrie on Living!!!

Thank you for supporting this change, for being patient, and for being excited; I can’t tell you how much our connection has meant to me, especially in recent weeks. I started my blog just over five years ago because of ME and, while it is still very much an extension of my thoughts and feelings, I am most excited about what I can do for YOU. If I can play any role in inspiring your journey to healthy and balanced living, whatever that means for you, then I will have satisfied one of the reasons why I am on the planet. Seriously.

So, please take a spin around the new site, check out the various tabs and updates I’ve been working on. It’s still a work in progress and probably always will be, but I have put my heart and soul into it and I am so, so proud to share this with you.

On that note, I need a rest. I’ve gone through some of the biggest changes and challenges in my life these past few months, and there are still important changes going on (I promise I will let you know what’s happening, it’s all good stuff, and, no, I’m not pregnant, HA).

I’ll be taking about a week to 10 days off from blogging, although I’ll still be responding to comments and e-mails. I’ve also turned into a bit of an Instagram-obsessive, so you can always see what I’m up to in real time there.

Again, THANK YOU and here’s to many more years of health, happiness, learning, loving, and living!

Comments

1. candice says

You have definitely kept me inspired! Thanks for all that you do here, and I’m so glad that you are still blogging. Also so happy about your honesty… we are just human, and your evolving story is so relatable and normalizing.

2. Brandee says

Congratulations on your new site! Everything looks great! Enjoy your vacation! I’m looking forward to your new posts!

So happy for you Carrie!! Congratulations girl, this is a wonderful, exciting new chapter in your life. You have so much to share and give… I look forward to seeing more of your travels and new recipes as a result of the changes you’ve been making. You are already such an inspiration! xo

Yay! I’m so happy for you! And I’m so happy we’ve gotten to know each other as we both make positive changes in our lives. You’re such an inspiration to me, Carrie. I support you in everything you do. Love the new blog name!

Thank you, Jenni, and you have been such an important part of my (virtual) support team during these changes. It has been such a powerful experience to not only make these very personal realizations about my physical and emotional health, but to connect with others who are on similar journeys has been an unexpected and wonderful development. Sending you my utmost respect and well-wishes. Xoxo!!!

Thank you, Judy!!! Since I do look at my blog as my work or job, then I’m justifying my little blogging break as re-capturing that work/life balance and hopefully coming back with more spunk and zest than ever. Hope your summer is going great! :)

5. Rebecca says

Joy to you Carrie! Your blog is inspiring and I look forward to your future posts and applaud you for taking a break :) I have been taking more time to recharge my batteries too this summer and have enjoyed more peace and freedom in my life!

Thank you for the awesome support, Rebecca, and for sharing those lovely words about enjoying peace and freedom. I have so much to do in the upcoming weeks, but allowing myself to take some time off from the blog is a big step for me in recognizing and taking care of my needs. Xoxo!!!

Carrie, huge congrats to you on this wonderful change. Your new site looks great and I’m sure it was A LOT of hard work! Rest and relaxation is so important and we all understand that – so rest up and we look forward to having you back after your vaca! Great work! :)

Thank you, Rachael!!! Oh my goodness, anyone who runs a blog or website knows how stressful it can be to make big technical changes. Thank goodness I had some great help with the hard parts, and now I just feel so relieved that everything went smoothly. In other words, I didn’t cry or want to throw my computer out of the window once! :)

I’m glad to hear that! I’m going to be coming to you for some ‘om’ advice when I start building my second site soon. I’m keeping positive, but I know it’s not going to be the most fun thing I’ve ever done in my life. LOL.

Thanks, Lisa!!! Congrats on your blog makeover. I had been meaning to do some updates for awhile now, but the need to change my blog’s name certainly forced me to sit down and make a plan to finally do it! I’m so happy it’s done and there weren’t even any horrible tech issues. Phew! :)

7. Sarah says

Yay!!!! I’ve been anxiously awaiting the launch of the new site and new life directions!!! I can’t wait to read more about what you have going on! Way to keep us in suspense! So far I’m definitely loving the change :)

Thanks, Sarah!!! Do you like how I made it all mysterious about what’s happening? Once I tell you, you’ll probably be like, big deal, but, hey, my life is usually pretty boring so I got to create some suspense whenever possible. :)

8. Marlee says

Carrie, your site has always looked beautiful and I sincerely hope you continue to feel better! Am I the only one wondering, however, how a post such as http://www.carrieonliving.com/2014/02/19/fatigue-the-ex-vegan-phenomenon/ and your comments under it (clearly quite opposite to what you’re saying now) can continue to appear? It must be so confusing for someone who’s just found your blog! I guess I’m glad I was raised vegetarian so I can say for sure that animal products are not necessary for health. My parents didn’t know any better about dairy and eggs though, so I made that change on my own 2 1/2 yrs. ago when I learned more. (For anyone reading who has acne, becoming vegan cleared my face!) I’ve enjoyed your site and will continue to follow for now, because I’m honestly curious to hear more about your process and your plan moving forward. Will you continue to list websites like http://nutritionfacts.org/ under your resources tab, when you are no longer in agreement with the science it presents? I feel bad that your chronic health conditions have complicated your journey to wellness. I have IBD, and struggle with chronic malabsorption issues and anemia, so I can relate to the struggle on some level, but I know that it’s not a result of my vegan diet. I guess I’m one of the ones out here hoping someday you can return to a vegan diet again, but best wishes to you whatever you feel impressed to do. I definitely admire your transparency.

Hi Marlee. You’ve certainly raised some interesting points, but I really like keeping the continuity of my journey. For the 3 1/2 years I was vegan, for example, I kept my earlier posts up where I was eating meat (although I de-emphasized those recipes, certainly). And, it’s not that I disagree with the plant-based science by any means, but I found for me personally, my body was having trouble. I hope that answers some of your questions.

• Marlee says

So, I read a bunch of the comments on your “Why I am No Longer Vegan” post today, and got a better sense of your blog overall. I don’t think I’ve been following for more than a year, so I didn’t even realize you started it BEFORE eliminating animal foods. Anyway, just wanted to say, I now better understand your desire to leave everything from the past all on the same blog to document your journey. And I also wanted to mention, the “Fatigue & the Ex-Vegan Phenomenon” post just happened to be one of the suggested ones that popped up at the bottom of my screen when I read this current post, or I wouldn’t have mentioned it. I was just a little perplexed. Not that I’m not still, ha, ha :), but it’s your blog, and your journey. I still wish you all the best and hope you might be able to return to a fully plant-based diet at some point. I was saddened and angered by the tone in which some of the more militant vegans were responding to your June 14 post, and I stand in awe of your ability to refrain from a similar tone in your responses. Don’t let comments from ANY of us get to you too badly. A lot of us are just disappointed, in shock, fearful of the repercussions on those trying to be vegan, etc. I join you in wishing this whole issue could be more of a topic of discussion in the health-conscious community, so that more people could go vegan and be successful at it! OK, that’s enough rambling. I may continue to follow so long as your recipes are clearly marked as vegan or not, so I can easily skip past the ones I can’t eat, rather than having to read through the recipe. Your blogging style and honesty about this whole thing appeals to me. Don’t change that. :)

9. Dawn says

The new site looks fantastic! The fonts are easy to read and all is clear. Good job. I know that is a lot of work. Enjoy your rest! I look forward to seeing your new posts.

10. Jeanne says

Hi Carrie!
    This new site looks fabulous! I am so happy you are continuing with blogging. I’ve been following your journey for almost the last two years and I hope there will be many more.

Hugs,
    Jeanne

Awww, thank you Jeanne!!! I LOVE my long-term readers such as you and can’t tell you how much I appreciate the kind words. I am looking forward to the future and where blogging takes me next. I hope you’re having a great summer! :0)

11. Nancy says

Carrie, I’m so happy you are continuing to blog! Your new blog name and logo are very cute! You are one of the nicest, most caring, thoughtful, and positive people I know of, and I support you in every way. I am very happy that your health continues to improve, and that you are giving yourself the gift of some time off. Have a great break, and thank you so much for all
    the wonderful positive encouragement
    and inspiration you give!

Hugs,

Nancy

Love the new look, Carrie! I was always hoping that one day we would be able to meet at a Fuhrman getaway or some other plant-based venue… do you think you will still attend these?

Keep calm and rest on!

xo

Hi Helyn! I would love to figure out a way to meet. Right now my appearances are through the BlogHer conferences, but I’m sure we will connect. Any chance you’ll be visiting CA anytime soon?

Congrats, Carrie! Your site looks amazing! You should feel awesome about all of your hard work, and go get some rest and relaxation in – enjoy :) Looking forward to all of your updates and posts coming soon.

Congrats on the new site, Carrie! It’s beautiful, just like you.
    Enjoy your time off, and I look forward to more inspirational posts.
    Cheers,
    Lauren

15. barb says

Love the new tittle and all, will continue to follow , can’t wait to see what is new . Happy for you

16. Fiona says

Hi Carrie – I followed your old website and may continue to look in here, although it probably interests me a bit less if you are not following the previous ‘nutritarian’ strongly science based approach. I guess I am a little confused about exactly what you are doing now…. although you are certainly entitled to do as you wish.
    I did use this as a resource for my patients to find healthy nutritional advice and recipes (along with several other sites) and will not feel comfortable doing so until your position is a bit more clear. I know that Dr Fuhrman’s approach is clearly not vegan and so this is fine with me as long as you still clearly the recommended very small amount of animal products thought to not cause health issues.
    I was worried in some of the comments to see people advocating things like the blood type diet with no refutation – there is just so much dietary nonsense with no basis in science that I guess I would feel uncomfortable if your blog became a mishmash of these things. I see a new category of ‘intuitive eating’ which raises a lot of red flags for me – although I see it has no information listed as yet. Intuitive eating has got many of my patients to chronic health distress….
    It also occurred to me to wonder if your issues with eating this way became a problem because of the previous psychological issues around eating that you have discussed frankly on your blog. I wondered if the health issues were not indeed nutritional deficits, but rather psychological issues around any ‘restrictive’ eating. I think this is an important distinction to be made – if it has any basis or relevance to you at all.

I guess if you have a public profile and also use it for commercial gain/enterprise then perhaps there is some more ‘obligation’ to be clear and frank.
    Although of course like everything on the internet it is always good to approach it with a healthy dose of skepticism!

Hi Fiona! Thank you for your comments and for sharing your perspective. At this point, while I have been in contact with Dr. Fuhrman about my journey, I don’t know how to describe how I am eating or what my recipes will look like. I do want to write more about my issues with disordered/emotional eating and how intuitive eating has helped. I appreciate that there is a fine line between telling someone “eat what you want” and putting it into perspective of how food choices affect our bodies and how we feel. For instance, I may want to eat chocolate all day, but then I will feel like crap. So, I have to balance my instinctual desire to eat decadent foods with the need to feel healthy and have energy to do everything I want to do. I don’t know if this provides you with any assurance about the future of my posts, but please know that I am committed to a whole foods diet in the context of balanced, mindful living.

Congrats on the new site! I know it takes a lot of work to change so much!
    I love the new look and name, and especially the part about “finding health and balance”. Just in speaking with people generally about a plant-based diet or making healthy diet changes, and as a budding RHN, the number one thing I’m always saying is that it’s all about balance. No one is perfect, no diet is perfect, everyone is different and its about finding the diet, habits, lifestyle etc that is balanced for you and creates balance in your body.