You probably remember that I was selected as a Blog Ambassador for Canadian Lentils at the recent BlogHer Food conference in Miami. What an honor! I had a lot of fun representing the brand and bringing attention to the fabulosity of lentils. 🙂
Lentils are packed full of protein and fiber, and are delicious and easy to cook! As part of my sponsorship, I created two lentil-based dishes – one was my Blueberry Baked Oatmeal with Lentils. The other recipe is this Wild Rice & Lentil Salad that I’m sharing today: This recipe was born out of necessity; I had just come back from my whirlwind trip to the East Coast and didn’t have a whole lot of ingredients to work with (not to mention being completely jet-lagged and barely capable of boiling water). It doesn’t get much easier than throwing everything together in a big bowl!
Also, did you know that wild rice isn’t really a grain, but a seed?
I served this salad warm on the first day and cold over chopped romaine for lunch the rest of the week.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- ¼ cup pitted green olives
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ large red onion
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 large lemons
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the lentils and wild rice in separate saucepans according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the cucumbers and olives into bite-sized pieces and add to a large mixing bowl. Mince the red bell pepper and onion, and dice the avocado, and add to the bowl. Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds, pour in the cooked lentils and wild rice, and stir to combine.
- Lastly, squeeze the juice from the lemons and pour over the salad. Stir well and top with freshly ground pepper, if desired.
My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.