We’re having a taste of summer here in California!
I’m certainly not complaining, the warm weather has lifted my spirits and satisfied my urge for change (well…almost…more on that below).
Cold meals have suddenly become a lot more appetizing with this hot(ter) weather. This incredibly simple salad was inspired by the bowl of avocados that I picked from my mom’s tree last week that all managed to ripen at the same time – that’s nature for ‘ya, but it sure puts the pressure on:
Back to the salad…it’s really just canned garbanzo beans mixed with some chopped veg, with a simple dressing of mustard and freshly-squeezed citrus juice. The avocado makes it divine:
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans
- ¼ medium red onion
- 2 medium limes
- 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 large celery ribs
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 medium avocado
- Rinse and drain the beans well and pour into a large bowl.
- Chop the onion very finely and add to the beans.
- Juice the limes and lemon and pour the juice into the bowl, as well as both the grainy and yellow mustards.
- Slice the red bell pepper and celery and then chop into small pieces. Add to the mixture, along with freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Lastly, cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and use a dull knife to cut it into cubes. Use a spoon to scoop the cubed flesh into the bowl.
- Stir the ingredients well to combine and, ideally, let sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving (this gives the salad some time for the flavors to meld).
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Sitting poolside while munching is pretty much my ideal scenario, wearing yoga clothes all day long ‘cuz they’re so dang comfortable:
I could get used to this:
Oh yeah, the teaser I gave about change? It involves something very important to all of us females…hair! If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, then you’ll know I’m no longer a blond, seems as if going back to my roots is a theme with me these days. I’ll share an updated photo as soon as I get a good one…my darker color is requiring some tweaking.
Hungry for more avocado-based recipes or celebrating Cinco de Mayo? If so, then you might like my recipe for the World’s Easiest Guacamole.
Or, if you’re like me and just have an abundance of avos in the house, you could always go for this Avocado Chocolate Mousse served with some goji berries on top (just a suggestion that I highly advise you take at once, ha ha):
By the way, congrats to Kate M. who won my second $100 Vitacost.com gift card giveaway. I hope to have some more cool stuff to share with you soon, so stay tuned.
P.S. I have a Carrie on Vegan Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff. Check it out and don’t forget to download my app for iPhones and iPads, Vegan Delish, for over 165 whole food, plant-based recipes.