Who’s a fan of the incredibly talented food blogger, Angela Liddon? <raises hand>
I feel so lucky to have been sent a copy of Angela’s gorgeous book, The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow From the Inside Out, and it is absolutely filled to the brim with everything that we’ve come to expect from her: inviting, healthful, often decadent, yet totally manageable recipes that are made using real food ingredients.
Besides tons of new, never-been-published recipes, my favorite part of this book is the gorgeous photography. I am such a visual person and nothing inspires me more to get busy in the kitchen than to look at mouth-watering photos. I would estimate that nearly every two or three recipes has a full color photo and that really makes this book something special in my opinion. Oh, okay, fine. I also admit that I immediately flipped to the Dessert section of Angela’s book, ‘cuz girl knows how to make a mean chocolate treat.
In honor of U.S. VegWeek and Earth Day, Angela’s publisher has generously offered to send one lucky reader a copy of the book, as well as allowing me to share her recipe for Eat Your Greens Detox Soup with you:
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons (7 mL) coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped carrots
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped broccoli florets
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 to 3 teaspoons (7 to 15 mL) grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 5 cups (1.25 L) vegetable broth
- 2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) strips (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) torn kale leaves
- Fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
I’m thinking that the Oh She Glows Cookbook would make a fantastic Mother’s Day gift or birthday present for anyone celebrating this spring; I’m proud to add it to my cookbook collection:
P.S. I have a Carrie on Vegan Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff. Check it out and don’t forget to download my app for iPhones and iPads, Vegan Delish, for over 165 whole food, plant-based recipes.