How to Make a Chickpea Flour Omelet

One of the most beloved “new to me” recipes of the year so far has been the egg- and gluten-free chickpea flour omelet. This recipe has been going around the blogosphere in many different formats and under many different names, but I am just happy it is in my repertoire now so I can share it with you!

Chickpea Flour Omelet | www.carrieonvegan.com

The inspiration for my recipe came primarily from my friend Sayward’s blog, Bonzai Aphrodite. Sayward has made the omelet one, she calls it a Pudla, plus the scramble version. I have also seen this dish called socca which I understand to be of Mediterranean origin.

No matter the name, the base of this high-protein, fiber-rich, and plant-based dish is made from chickpea flour, also known as garbanzo bean flour (yes, I am so anal as to make labels for the bulk items in my pantry):

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

The nutritional profile of the flour is fantastic, it is high in protein, iron, and fiber. Note: you can buy sprouted chickpea flour, too.

My recipe uses a mixture of the flour, baking powder, water, herbs, and whatever vegetables you want. I start out by mixing the dry ingredients:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

I like to get whatever vegetables I am going to use ready at this point. I especially love shallots and mushrooms:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

Next, I add the water, lemon juice, and vegetables (plus the nutritional yeast which I had forgotten earlier), and stir:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

I sometimes need to add a bit more water to the batter at this point to make it nice and pourable. I have also found that a light spray of cooking oil really helps to keep the batter from sticking to the pan:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

Since I usually make one omelet for me and one for my husband, I like to use two skillets so they cook at the same time. The make-shift lids taken from my saucepans help the tops cook through and get ready to be flipped:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

The only reason I turn this dish into a scramble version is when it sticks to the pan which usually means I didn’t use enough oil to start or I just got too excited and didn’t wait long enough before trying to flip (this version had chopped red bell peppers):

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

No worries, either the omelet or scramble versions are equally delicious:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

Here’s my recipe:

Chickpea Flour Omelet

Author:
Recipe type: Main Dish
Serves: 2-3
Ingredients
  • 1¼ cups chickpea flour
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon dried turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning or your choice of dried herbs
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
  • 1¼ cup water, plus more if necessary to achieve a pourable consistency
  • 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • ¼ cup chopped mushrooms
  • 2 handfuls of baby kale, chopped finely
  • Coconut oil spray, optional
  • Sea salt, optional, for topping
Instructions
  1. Combine chickpea flour, baking powder, dried turmeric, no-salt seasoning or dried herbs, and nutritional yeast in a medium-sized bowl. Add water and lemon juice and use a whisk to stir together, getting rid of any clumps.
  2. Stir in minced shallot, chopped mushroom, and chopped kale. The consistency of the batter should be pourable and not too thick. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water and stir again, if necessary, to achieve the proper consistency.
  3. Spray a medium skillet lightly with coconut oil and heat on medium. You can use two skillets if you want to make and serve both omelets at the same time.
  4. Pour half the batter into your skillet. Place a lid over the pan to help it cook faster. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the omelet cook for 3-4 minutes.
  5. Once the top of the omelet has started to cook, use a spatula or a plate to help flip the omelet onto the other side. If your batter sticks, then you can always make it into a scramble, using a spatula to scrape the batter off the bottom of the pan.
  6. Reduce the heat to low, place the lid on the pan, and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes (if making a scramble version, then it will cook faster, maybe another 2-3 minutes).
  7. Serve hot, topped with a bit of sea salt, if desired.

This dish is pretty much the ideal meal for me, especially when served with a side salad topped with home-grown broccoli sprouts:

Chickpea Flour Omelet from Carrie on Vegan| www.carrieonvegan.com

Is this Chickpea Flour Omelet new-to-you as well? Do you have a favorite version?

Help support my work! I have an Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff. Your purchase provides me with a small commission. Check it out and don’t forget to download my app for iPhones and iPads, Vegan Delish, for over 165 whole food, plant-based recipes.

Comments

I just discovered chickpea omelettes in the past few weeks and I actually posted one on my blog earlier today! Soo good. The shallots and kale sound like great veggies to put in it!

I love how quick and versatile chickpea omelets are to make! I recently discovered them too and have made them many times since.

Synchronicity! I just made a chickpea pancake yesterday! I love them because they’re a great way to amp up a salad with something from the pantry. I am usually lazy and make a plain version and then put lots of vegetables on top.

Great minds, Cassandra!!! I usually experience blogging synchronicity where I have a post all planned in my head and photos in my camera, and then another blogger writes about it and blows mine away. :0)

4. Patty says

Well, this looks simply fabulous! I want it right now! I think this is something I’d make/eat for any meal of the day. I like the idea of serving it with a salad, Carrie, that sounds like a nice dinner. Thank you, for this recipe, which is new to me too….I’ve never made Chickpea Flour Omlet, or Pudla, or Socca, or whatever we call it by. Yum! :)

5. Shari says

I love chickpea flour omelets! I add a pinch or two of Kala Namak (black salt) which adds a distinctive eggy (slightly sulphury) flavor which is so good. I have also used chickpea flour to thicken sauces or gravies as an alternative to grain flours (and much healthier too) !

I need to try this. I’ve seen all kind of recipes and never been adventurous enough to give it a go. I have used garbanzo bean flour (maybe it was mixed w/ something else?!) as a coating for baked onion rings before. There are delicious! Guess I better pick up some chickpea flour. I’ll have to check out that sprouted version! Thanks for sharing :)

Yum! This is my favourite thing to make when I’m in desperate need of a protein kick – and it’s a great way to get rid of the last scrap of veggies in the house. :D

8. Andrea says

I’ve been making an omelette just like this for a few months now for breakfast or as a pantry dinner. So versatile! I add flaxseed and vital wheat gluten and makes it a bit thicker.

i just made this for lunch right now!
    OH YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I love chickpea omelettes – thanks for reminding me of them! I love your recipe – just nicely flavoured :-)

Mmmm I love chickpea omelets. I’ve never tried a scramble though – what a fun idea. I wasn’t in love with the last recipe I tried, so I’d like to give this one a try.

11. Carolyn says

I tried the recipe yesterday, and I really messed it up badly. One, it had lumps and I probably did not add the liquid slow enough. Two, I didn’t add enough water and it was too thick to spread out. Three, it stuck to the pan. On the other hand, it tasted good and was quick and easy. Next time, I will make some corrections and use a non-stick pan.

Oh darn, Carolyn! The non-stick pan is essential, otherwise you need to use oil to keep it from sticking. Also, I like to use a whisk to get the lumps out. Give it another go and let me know what happens…good luck! :)

Hey Carrie, I used to be a regular chickpea flour omelet maker but have fallen out of practice. Your recipe looks like a great one – love the simple ingredients list and that it’s soy-free. It seems like so many recipes add all kinds of extras in! Is this going in the Vegan Delish app? Hint hint ;) Can’t wait to try it – and I use your app as my go-to!

I love chickpea flour omelettes! I make one all the time based on this recipe from Vegan Richa http://www.veganricha.com/2012/08/chickpea-flour-omelette-with-spinach.html
    I never use oat flour, just sub another tbsp of ground flax. I’ve never actually put the veggies in the omelette. I like to sprinkle them on top and fold the omelette over so it looks more like a traditional omelette. I also love adding a little Daiya or avocado on top for some creaminess.

14. Tara says

Made these for dinner and I’m in love! Cheap, easy, versatile and nutrient packed. I folded it in half, filled it with spinach and Olive hummus and for good measure I grilled it in my panini maker to get everything all smelty and topped it with salsa. I wasn’t brave enough to try to flip it in the pan haha. Delish! Thanks!