Please tell me I’m not the only one to cook greens with oatmeal…please, please?
I had a curly kale salad with a tamarind dressing at a restaurant recently and, because the dressing was sweet, it inspired me to make a breakfast dish incorporating curly kale. This version using oatmeal, strawberries, tahini, and cocoa powder tastes like unbaked kale chips to me and it’s yummy, I promise!
I started by making oatmeal in the traditional way, combining everything except the kale and final toppings into a pot. After the oats were almost all the way cooked, I added the curly kale which I had torn into bite-sized pieces:
The oat and fruit mixture got all stirred together while the kale wilted just a little bit:
This dish is my new breakfast obsession, I seriously can’t get enough of it. By the way, check out my pretty new bowl! I was lucky enough to have a pair sent to me by the uber-talented vegan potter, Amy Bavier. She’s going to be sponsoring a giveaway with me next week, so stay tuned for that:
Here’s the recipe:
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ medium ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon unsalted tahini or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 cups curly kale, torn into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon green stevia powder OR 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional, for extra sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional, for topping)
- Combine oats, almond milk, banana, strawberries, cocoa powder, tahini or almond butter, and raisins in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally so as not to burn. Add more almond milk if necessary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until oats are softened.
- Place the kale on top of the mixture and stir in gently for 2-3 minutes, or until the kale has wilted slightly and is coated by the oat mixture.
- If you prefer extra sweetness, stir in the green stevia powder or maple syrup.
- Serve the oatmeal hot, topped with the ground flaxseed and/or hemp seeds.
Don’t hate it until you’ve tried it, is all I can say (although I can totally understand if this isn’t your thing – my husband won’t touch this dish):
If you’re looking for other breakfast recipes, you might like my Sprouted Oat Groat Cereal, my Slow-Cooker Winter Breakfast Stew (this one has kale in it, too), my Sweet Potato Pudding, or my Chocolate Pear Smoothie…all great choices if you ask me.
Also, I wanted to sincerely thank you for all the comments and messages regarding the passing of my cat, Roxy, and dealing with the loss of a companion animal; I read each and every one of your notes and am so grateful for all of the support. As I mentioned in my post, Alan and I memorialized Roxy by dedicating this week’s Our Hen House podcast to her which you can hear around the 45-minute mark.
P.S. I have a Carrie on Vegan Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff. Check it out and don’t forget to download my app for iPhones and iPads, Vegan Delish, for over 165 whole food, plant-based recipes.
This recipe has been submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.