Smoked Paprika Hummus

Smoked Paprika Hummus from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Hey there, it’s me and I’ve got another bean-based recipe for ‘ya. Before that, what do you get when you mix onions and beans?

Tear gas!

Okay, apologies, it’s Monday morning and way too early for fart humor.

Seriously, though, one of my endeavors is to help make beans more accessible to folks. We know legumes are incredibly healthy, but I think digestive complaints keep us from enjoying them as much as we should.

In fact, as we speak, I have just started my first batch of sprouted garbanzo beans, and they should be ready in about a week. After they’ve sprouted, I will then cook them and that should do the trick to make them gas-free, to be direct. Have you ever been more excited for an update? :)

Until then, here is my recipe for Smoked Paprika Hummus. I used canned, cooked chickpeas, and I sometimes find that the canned beans are easier to digest than when I home cook them. Also, I think blending beans into a hummus or spread also increases their digestibility:

Smoked Paprika Hummus

Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients
  • 2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans
  • 2 medium lemons
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 teaspoons low-sodium miso paste
  • 1 shallot
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Instructions
  1. Squeeze juice from lemons and pour into a food processor.
  2. Rinse and drain beans and add to the food processor, along with the tahini and miso paste.
  3. Chop the shallot roughly and mince the garlic. Add to the food processor, along with the paprika and ground cumin.
  4. Turn on the food processor and let it run for about 15-20 seconds, or until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
  5. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

I wanted to note that I’ve heard some concern that smoked paprika might not be healthful taking into account the smoked aspect (i.e. smoking foods increases carcinogens which we then consume). If you have this concern about paprika, then I might suggest that you simply substitute sweet paprika for the smoked variety.

Enjoy!

Smoked Paprika Hummus from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

P.S. You might also like my 4-Ingredient Hummus, Roasted Garlic Hummus, and Chocolate Dessert Hummus.

Hungry for more? Download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring healthy, whole food recipes.

Comments

The fact that this has both smoked paprika AND miso makes it my kind of hummus! That’s interesting about the potential carcinogens though, I had never considered it. Although for the amount of smoked paprika you need to use in any given recipe, I cannot see it being that harmful.

2. Connie Jo says

Ha Ha ha!! seems garbanzos really have that ‘tear gas’ effect on me, moreso than others. Never had miso paste in my hummus recipes.. this sounds good!

3. Dawn says

I have been using a strip of kombu in cooking dried beans and this does seem to help with digestibility. Please let us know how you sprouted the garbanzo beans and how the dish turns out.

Thanks, Dawn! I also use kombu when I cook my own beans, but I’ve heard that cooking them on the stove top might actually be better in terms of digestibility than using the pressure cooker, which I’ve been doing for about a year now. So, after I sprout my garbanzo beans, I am going to cook them on the stove top and see how they turn out.

4. tracy says

hi carrie – do you have a particular brand of raw tahini that you buy, or have you experimented with making your own?

also, i wanted to mention that i really enjoy your recipes, and reading about your journey with plant-based living, especially related to your thyroid. thank you for sharing so openly and honestly.

best, tracy

Hi Tracy! I do have a brand of tahini that I prefer, it’s called Max Sesame and it’s made from unhulled sesame seeds for maximum calcium. I’m on the road and can’t include a link here, but it’s on my Amazon store which is accessible from my sidebar or on my Resources tab. I do want to try and make my own at some point, but I haven’t had a ton of success making my own nut butters as of yet. Thank you for your kind words. Xoxo! :)

5. Patty says

Oh, Carrie, that was funny! Thank you! I love having a laugh anytime, and especially on Monday mornings (although for me it was a Tuesday afternoon laugh). :) I have had the same experience, where canned beans, or blended in to Hummus or spread, are easier for me to digest. This recipe sounds really good! Thank you for posting it! I’m going to checkout your new Vegan Delish web-site later. Also, I saved your “10 Ideas to Stay Healthy” list. Thank you, for sharing that. I’m drinking some green tea right now (one of the ideas from your list.) Chat soon!

6. Melissa Zonfrilli says

Hi,
    Your recipes sounds delicious. I would like to avoid soy. Can I substitute the miso paste or would omitting it make a huge difference in the texture?

Thanks so much for the recipes
    Melissa

Hi Melissa! I would substitute the miso paste out and use a teaspoon of coconut aminos or even a teensy bit of salt. The miso was really only for a bit of saltiness.

I love miso for condiments and sauces! I would love to try hummus with gochujang, it would provide a strong red color! Smoked paparika is yummmm!