Healthy Vegan Food for Winter

Golly, where has this week gone? It’s taken me a few days to put together this recipe compilation post; I’m busy behind the scenes updating older recipes to make them more printable and pin-able, but I promise I’m still here!

Some other cool stuff has been happening. I submitted my Winter Breakfast Stew recipe to Dr. Fuhrman’s recent recipe contest and, while it was not selected, it has now been included in his library of recipes:

Winter Breakfast Stew made in the slow-cooker from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

I really love this breakfast alternative; it uses both squash and kale, but it retains breakfast-ey flavors because of the dried fruit, cinnamon, and nuts. My favorite evolution of this recipe has been to stir in cocoa powder and eat it topped with extra pomegranate nibs, flax meal, and homemade soy yogurt:

Winter Breakfast Stew from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

I’ve also been experimenting (read: tried twice so far) with using the video function on my iPhone. I put two up on Instagram of my green smoothie-making process. Here’s one of them…if you can’t see it below, you might try using a different browser:

I hope this is not the extent of my New Year’s Resolution #7 to try incorporating video into my posts. I do like doing the video, I’m just finding it hard to use one hand to hold the phone and the other to do the kitchen stuff. I’m thinking I should try a table-top tripod? Other suggestions?

Anywho, here are the recipes I’ve re-visited recently and thought I’d bring back to your attention.

How to make Homemade Sprouted Lentil Protein Powder:

How to Make Homemade Protein Powder from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

4-Ingredient Hummus:

4-Ingredient Hummus from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Red Lentil Dal (fat-free!):

Red Lentil Dal from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Tomato & Butternut Bisque made in the slow-cooker:

Tomato & Butternut Bisque from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Almond-Pulp Cookie Crisps using the leftover stuff from your homemade almond milk:

Almond Pulp Cookie Crisps

Avocado Chocolate Pudding using frozen blueberries and silken tofu to make it lower in fat:

Avocado Chocolate Pudding from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Here’s what has also been keeping me busy:

Hiking in Morro Bay, CA | www.carrieonvegan.com

Hiking in Morro Bay, CA | www.carrieonvegan.com

We’re having a terrible drought here in California, but the clear days have made for spectacular views along the coast. This is an area north of me called Morro Bay:

Hiking in Morro Bay, CA | www.carrieonvegan.comI’m still spending lots of time in the kitchen and I’m responding to comments and e-mails, I just haven’t been quite as motivated to be inside as much, and I’m sure you can understand why.

There’s rain in the forecast though, so plan to see me back here soon. :)

Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+.

And, if you have an iPhone or iPad, be sure to download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring healthy, whole food recipes made using minimal oil, salt, or added sugars.

Comments

1. Kathleen says

I plan to take the plunge, inspired by you, to cut the fruit juice from my smoothies…It’s time. Going to use one of your recipes tomorrow am. I just find that the juice adds a lot but I know it is not nutritious and adds extra calories….

I’m glad you feel inspired, Kathleen. If you find you need additional sweetness, then I highly suggest frozen pineapple or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

ALL of those recipes, especially that pudding and the bisque! I don’t know about you, but it’s really easy for me to eat unhealthy foods during winter especially those containing lots of carbs etc. I’ve resolved to stay a bit healthier this year to avoid my late winter energy slump! These recipes are certainly inspiring me along the way!

Thanks for the note, Rachel! I have also been eating more grains and starchy veg this winter, but I kind of think it’s natural in colder weather. I guess I can’t justify the cherry ice cream I just made after lunch today, though. :)

No wonder you’re outside- it looks gorgeous! It’s rained solidly here for about 2 weeks so I’m just a teensy bit jealous ;) The light’s awful for blog photos too.
    Congrats on the Dr. Fuhrman recipe feature!

Hi Emma! Well, we finally got rain here and so it feels like winter. Now I’m ready for it to be warm again. :) I completely understand about the bad lighting for food photography. Today, we have a mix of sun and clouds so I took the opportunity to re-shoot an old recipe I’m updating. I’ve tried using artificial lights, but nothing compares to the real thing!

Thanks, Heather! Let me know how you like the Dal. Oh my goodness, I can’t believe the winter you guys have been having back East. It must be torture for a California girl!!! Sending you sunshine and hugs. :)

4. kum says

Thank you so much for inspiring people to try vegan fare!
    If you like Indian food, the blogs – vegan richa and vaishali’s holy cow are awash with vegan recipes.

Blog :global vegan fare

5. Paula says

Where you live looks like heaven! Here in WI it’s been terrible cold & there is over 3 feet outside my door. It makes it super hard to go outside when it is below zero. Thanks for sharing the recipes. I really need new ideas and gluten free since I’ve been GF for a month. I feel much better too. I really want to try the 4 ingredient hummus. I love it and hate buying store bought.

Thanks for the note, Paula! OH MY GOODNESS, I can’t believe how cold your description of WI sounds to me, I literally just got a shiver reading your comment. When will things start to thaw out and warm up there? If it’s any consolation, we often get very cold and foggy days during the summer months here on the California coast. Have you ever been to San Francisco in the summer? You have to bundle up and everyone is grumpy and cold. :) In the meantime, Paula, stay warm!!!

WOW – beautiful pictures! It has been raining here all week and weekend. I think it’s supposed to clear up next week. I can’t really complain though as we need the rain so badly. Sounds like you’ve been keeping busy! =)

Thanks, Kimmy! I agree, the rain has been much needed and kind of a nice change from all the dang sunshine (ha ha). I have been busy and I’m actually feeling better, too. I had a tough 6-8 weeks in December and January…pretty sure it was thyroid/female hormone related, but it seems to have gotten better with a few adjustments. Hope you’re doing well! Xoxo!!!