High-Fiber Muffins

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Well, it doesn’t get much sexier than a High-Fiber Muffin, eh? I ran into one of my senior-ish neighbors recently and she started talking my ear off about how good digestion is so important when one gets older. Um, hello, digestion is my middle name! So, of course, I agreed with her, but I would argue that good digestion is important at any age.

One ingredient that is new to me that I found in the bulk section at the health food store is ground psyllium husk, otherwise known as a key ingredient of <ehem> Meta-mucil, which I only found out because I was doing research on it.

Anyhow, the ground psyllium husk works great in these muffins, along with some ground chia seeds and flax meal for good measure. I combined the three wonder fibers with water in a bowl and let the mixture set for just about five minutes:

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

For the dry ingredients of the muffins, I put sunflower and pumpkin seeds in the food processor, along with some uncooked quinoa:

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

After processing those ingredients for about 45 seconds, I added a ripe banana and some unsweetened applesauce:

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

I then stirred all the ingredients together in a bowl, with some cinnamon and raisins thrown in for good measure. Here’s what the dough looked like pre-baking:

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

I was a little nervous for how these were going to turn out, but the tops got nice and firm and the quinoa inside the muffin cooked up nicely:

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

• 1 ripe banana
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ⅓ cup raisins
  • Nonstick cooking spray
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin tin lightly with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Combine the ground psyllium, ground chia seeds, and flax meal in a small bowl. Add water and use a spoon to stir together. Set aside for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
  3. Place the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and uncooked quinoa in a food processor. Pulse for several times until the seeds are broken up, but not pulverized. Add the banana and applesauce and pulse until combined.
  4. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the cinnamon and raisins. Add the psyllium, chia, and flax mixture and stir gently until incorporated. Use a tablespoon to transfer the batter into the muffin tin.
  5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops of the muffins turn a golden brown. Let cool completely before removing from the muffin tin.

These are not super sweet muffins, but they have a subtle banana flavor. A smear of almond butter is one option, but they are also good just by themselves:

High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Despite their less than glamorous name, these High-Fiber Muffins are a light, delicious, and, dare I say, delicate treat:High-Fiber Muffins from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+.

And, if you have an iPhone or iPad, be sure to download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring over 160 healthy, whole food recipes.

Note: this recipe has been submitted to the link-up parties Wellness Weekend and Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Comments

Let me know what you think, Lauren! I’m def going to be using psyllium more in the future. It wasn’t like it was all crazy laxative effect or anything, maybe I should have mentioned it in the blog post, but I didn’t want to get too specific, ‘ya know? :)

Thanks, Rachel! I, too, was very interested to see how uncooked quinoa turned out…mainly because I was too lazy to cook it ahead of time before adding it to the muffin mixture. It was kind of neat how the quinoa stayed crunchy on the outside, but cooked on the inside. :)

1. Linda says

Just checking: no baking powder or other leavening agent? Everything in them I can eat, woo-hoo! I’ll make them to go with my supper salad tonight.

What an interesting ingredient – psyllium. I’ve heard a little bit about it! Your beautiful muffins sound amazing with all these fantastic goodies in it!

Thanks, Rika! Don’t let the Metamucil connection scare you off of psyllium, it’s actually not that more “potent” than flax or chia in that department, if you know what I’m sayin’. :)

I’ve never tried psyllium, but these muffins sure make me want to, I’ve never met a muffin I didn’t like ;-)

Thanks for linking up to Healthy Vegan Fridays!

4. Sydny says

What was the consistency like on the inside for you? I can’t tell if
    A. I’ve grievously under-baked them
    B. I need to let them set a while yet
    C. They’re just a stickier consistency than a traditional wheat muffin

Hi Sydny, the muffins should be moist on the inside, but not terribly undercooked. The outside should be crisp. The inside will definitely be sticky, but still cooked through.

5. Ine Therese says

Just found your blog, and immediately downloaded the app!

Can’t wait to start using it :)

6. Kristen says

Hi Carrie,

I would like to make the high fiber muffins and add pumpkin for the flavor and health benefits. Do you think I should reduce the applesauce or banana to prevent them from being mushy?

Also, I read your post about PCOS and IBS. I, too, suffer from these. The PCOS symptoms started in junior high- weight gain, painful/irregular periods, and facial hair. I’ve been on the pill for more than 20 years and have added metformin recently. These have helped, but it’s not a cure. I didn’t even get a correct diagnosis until my mid-twenties.

I didn’t know that there was a connection between PCOS and depression. I don’t know why not one of my doctors has ever told me that, or tried a different medicine. These conditions have taken a large toll on my life also. I’m already a vegetarian, and I’m looking to add foods to my diet that will increase insulin sensitivity and help IBS symptoms.

What are the best foods to help the symptoms of these diseases? Thanks for sharing your story.

Kristen

Hi Kristen, thanks for the note. It’s been awhile since I made this recipe, but I think a substitution of pumpkin for the applesauce would be appropriate. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve also suffered with PCOS. I am finding it to be a huge challenge to figure out which way of eating will help the most. So far, I know sugar is a contributor to reduced insulin sensitivity, so I’m using a higher protein diet to help ease the sugar cravings and, hopefully, help address the cause. I will be writing more in the future about what other resources I find. Sending you my continued very best.