Spinach, Lentil, & Wild Rice Casserole Featured on Fooducate

Spinach, Lentil, & Wild Rice Casserole from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Yesterday, I was honored to have a brand-new recipe from my healthy kitchen featured on the Fooducate website. Are you familiar with the Fooducate nutrition app that grades food products? While the app is not specifically focused on plant-based nutrition, it is a valid resource and one that I both recommend and respect.

Being that Fooducate’s founder, Hemi Weingarten, and I are both super interested in nutrition and food, I reached out to him recently about featuring one of my recipes. This Spinach, Lentil, & Wild Rice Casserole (topped with nutritional yeast and a sprinkling of dulse) seemed like a great fit because it’s both healthy and delicious:

While it’s not the most beautiful casserole I’ve ever made (see my friend and fellow blogger Helyn’s fabulous casseroles), I love the flavors and nutritious ingredients of this one like onions, mushrooms, peas, and tomato sauce, not to mention the spinach, lentils, and wild rice:

For the full recipe, please visit the Fooducate Healthy Recipe page. I’ll also have it published on my Vegan Delish recipe app ASAP.

I thought it might be fun to show you an outtake of how I photographed this dish. I ended up taking my “photo studio” outside on the patio to get some good natural light. I recently ordered some vinyl photo backgrounds (I ordered mine through Etsy Swanky Prints <—-I have no affiliation) to give some depth and texture to my images. It’s part of my New Year’s Resolution to make this blogging thing a viable career, helped along by improving the quality of my pics:

Something else fun about my post on Fooducate? It was the first time I saw the “MPH” in print after my name, reflecting the recent completion of my masters degree in public health nutrition. Being that I put my heart and soul into getting that degree (biostatistics, ugh! nutritional epidemiology, ack!), that made me feel really proud. :)

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend, friends!

Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+.

And, if you have an iPhone or iPad, be sure to download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring over 150 healthy, whole food recipes.

Comments

Yum, I love everything in that casserole! Casserole aren’t meant to be pretty, they are meant to be comforting and yummy! Great job getting it on Fooducate!

Thanks, Megan! I was mainly disappointed in how it looks like mush, but I wasn’t really intending it to be blog-worthy, it just kind of happened really fast how it ended up being on Fooducate. Thanks for making me feel better for it not being the most photogenic thing I’ve ever made, but what it lacks in “sex appeal” makes up for in flavor…I promise! :)

2. Alocasia says

I posted this on Fooducate, but just in case you’re here first, I’m making this tonight. Sounds great. I have everything but almond milk. I do have soy milk. Can I use that instead? Thanks.

Xoxo, Suzanne! Thanks! I still think the casserole looked kind of weird, but I tried to gussy up the background to distract from its ugliness. :)

Great looking recipe Carrie! Rice, lentils, spinach, mushrooms, peas… YUM. I think I will be making this very soon.
    I hadn’t scrolled all the way down your post yet and was thinking to myself how positively gorgeous your pictures looked and was slightly jealous of your awesome looking table only to discover that you found super cool cheater backgrounds. LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, I think I’ll get some myself. One of my goals for this year is to really improve my food pictures and I’m so excited about this!

Hi Kimmy! So are you saying that the vinyl background fooled you? Yay! I’m so happy, except now you’re probably going to think all of my backgrounds are cheaters, which, frankly, they probably will be. Check out the site and let me know what you think. I literally spent about 3 hours deciding on which ones to buy, it was a lot of fun to pick them out. :)

4. Sarah says

I love that your article author credit on Fooducate is Carrie Forrest, MPH!!! The MPH suits your name particularly well :)

5. Patty says

Carrie, this is SO great, and wonderful, both to see your MPH after your name, and to have your recipe on Fooducate!

Thank you, Patty! Both situations made me very happy. I have admired Fooducate for awhile so it was a true honor to have a recipe featured. And, as far as the MPH goes, I am just so, so happy to be DONE!!! :)

6. Alexandra says

Congratulations on finishing your Masters that’s amazing :) Thank you again for letting me interview you last year!

Thank you, Alexandra!!! It was so much fun to talk to you, I hope your studies are going well. You are a bright star and I can’t wait to see which direction you take with your future career. Xoxo!!! :)

7. Gail says

Hi, Carrie, I first saw this recipe on Pinterest and it sounded tasty enough that I came right here to check it out. In the small picture there the white bowl and plate melded together and looked like an asymmetrical dog bowl, lol. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned that as bloggers are all so particular about their photos.
    I plan to make the recipe tomorrow, but am curious about what happened to the dulse. Do you add it before or after baking
    Congratulations on your new degree.

Hi Gail! I agree, that picture was pretty atrocious. I could not for the life of me make the casserole look like anything other than a blob. Your description actually made me laugh. Anywho, I sprinkled the dulse on at the very end, just for extra flavor and nutrition. It’s completely optional. :)