Photo Food Journal Instagram-Style

Hi there! It’s been awhile since I’ve posted one of my photo food journals as part of What I Ate Wednesday.

I’m going to do it a little differently today by using photos from my Instagram feed. While these photos today don’t represent foods I ate on the same day, I do think they give an accurate idea of my usual choices and serving sizes, in case that is of interest to you. Plus, I thought it would be fun to share some of my more candid photos, as opposed to the more edited stuff that I usually post here on the blog.

Breakfast:

Even thought we’re having a really mild winter here in California, I’ve been less inclined to make green smoothies and have been making hot breakfast dishes like my Winter Breakfast Stew. I still like getting a LOT of greens in the morning, though, so I tried adding chopped, steamed spinach on top of a chocolate version of my stew recently. It was weird looking, but good (read: tolerable) once I got it all stirred together. The cocoa powder helped immensely, along with some extra raisins and a few drops of peppermint extract:

Sometimes I’m even up early enough to see the sun rise:

I still go hiking a lot, but less often now that I’m doing more yoga:

I am finding that with less intense exercise these past few weeks, my sugar cravings have greatly diminished. I’m not sure if this could be that intense exercise was causing my cortisol levels to rise or what? If anyone has any info about this, please let me know.

I’m only doing extended cardio like long hikes now about once every 10 days, even though it’s tempting to go more often with these types of views:

Not a snake, just plastic (yeah, it got me, too, ha ha):

Lunch:

I make a salad of varying size almost every day for lunch, plus one for the man. This one had way too many ingredients to list, but the highlight was the Paprika Hummus (recipe currently undergoing re-testing):

I usually write a good solid 3-4 hours in the afternoon. A few weeks ago, I flipped a big soup pot upside down (a tip I got from Dr. Fuhrman) and put my laptop on top. Ta-da! Instant stand-up desk:

It only takes one long hike for my feet (and the rest of me) to get really tired. I read online that soaking in an epson salt bath is good for that, plus the magnesium gets absorbed in the bloodstream and aids in recovery. I went to Target to find some:

Dinner:

I made dinner by steaming chopped delicata squash, tofu, and collards greens I cut into thin strips, served with a sauce of almond butter thinned out with lime juice and a dash of low-sodium tamari:

Dessert was treat of muffins I made using grated beets, almond pulp, coconut flour, and applesauce, topped with pumpkin seeds, currants, and coconut. Again, this recipe needs to be re-tested because the texture was a little off, but the flavor was yummy. This is how the batter looked:

Last night, my evening included prepping for today’s(!) Whole Foods cooking demo. Making the note cards made me feel a lot less nervous:

My evenings more usually include both reading and tv time. I scoffed when this newsletter turned up in my mailbox, and then realized how much of a nerd I am when I actually enjoyed reading it:

I hope you enjoyed this peek into my daily eats. See you soon!

Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or Google+.

And, if you have an iPhone or iPad, be sure to download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring over 150 healthy, whole food recipes.

Comments

I know, right? I must have gotten on a healthy person mailing list somehow, but it was probably the most appropriate piece of unsolicited mail I’ve ever received. :)

1. Patty says

Good luck today, Carrie, at your Whole Foods presentation. I know you’ll do awesome! Everyone’s gonna love you! I’ll be thinking of ya, and sending you tons of positive energy.

This was a great post. I love when you include lots of writing and photos. Food looks yum. Hikes look gorgeous.

2. Stacy L. says

Hi Carrie! I always love having a peek not only into your day of eating, but your day overall! It’s fun to feel like I’m getting to know you from afar (albeit, this is a one way friendship ;) . Also, I’m LOVING the VeganDelish app every since I purchased it a few months ago. I kid you not when I say that my weekly meal plan is 95% VeganDelish recipes – soo delicious!!

Good Luck at Whole Foods today!!

Thank you, Stacy!!! Your kind words invigorate me! I try to put my genuine personality into my posts, so if we ever get to meet in person, I hope I’m just like you think I am. :) I probably don’t write enough about the tough times I go through, mainly because I like to keep things positive, but I get so much support from everyone that it is really easy and therapeutic to be as honest as I can be.

Love the instagram photos, such a fun post!

I really love the idea of laptop on a pot for a stand up desk….I have been sitting so much lately and that is just what I need!

And I love that you were reading dry bean quarterly…I get really into my Co-ops monthly newsletter….I read it to anyone who’s around lol food nerds I suppose;)

Thanks Sarah…the standup desk has been fantastic for not feeling like a slug after a day of writing. My next big purchase is going to be a treadmill desk!

Love your pictures! Good luck tonight, although I know you won’t need it because I’m sure you’ll do awesome! Wish I lived closer so I could come support you (Atlanta is a bit far away to travel for it :))!

Amy, thanks! This was really interesting! I am honestly starting to wonder if that’s why I was having sleep and fatigue issues. I am already feeling a lot more energetic after one week of doing more yoga and less cardio/weights. Do you read Chris’ website regularly? It looks like there might be some info so maybe I will sign up. I realize it’s paleo so a lot of the recipes won’t work for me, but I like reading about the other stuff.

Love this post Carrie! I like seeing what you eat and what you’ve been up to.
    I’m usually up early enough to the see the sunrise too… but I don’t tend to see the view you have there ;p
    I’ve cut back on the cardio workouts too, my sugar cravings have not diminished, but my stress levels have recently increased, so maybe my sugar cravings have diminished but the stress increased them again.
    I can’t wait to hear how the demo went!!!!!

Thanks, Kimmy! The demo was pretty crazy. It was a lot of work to prep (3 hours and I could have used at least 2 more), but overall it was great and I had FUN! I learned a ton of stuff, like that I for sure need to wear a mic and I need to get more skilled at cooking while talking. But, I can’t wait to do another one!!!

I enjoyed this post about your daily eats – your dinner & grated beet muffins look amazing including the chocolate version of breakfast stew! Mild winter in California sounds lovely, what’s the average temp. there? Here in Paris, it’s about high 40s/low 50s, not too bad compared to Chicago or Boston. Your hiking photos are simply gorgeous – the beautiful sceneries remind me of these mountains/hills in Vegas or Arizona! Thank you for sharing! :) x Rika

Thanks for the note, Rika! How about if we trade…you come to SoCal and I’ll come to Paris? Better yet, let’s visit each other so we can show each other around? Safe travels! :)

7. AmyLu says

Hi Carrie,
    No, I hadn’t visited that website before. (And I didn’t even realize it was Paleo, sorry!) I had read another article somewhere else recently on the topic of exercise intensity and frequency and effect on cortisol (which I cannot locate now) and in the process of searching for it again, found this article. I’m glad the info was helpful, and I’m glad you are feeling better:)

No problem, Amy! I appreciate the link and info. I read a few paleo blogs just to get input on exercise and inspiration for grain-free dishes, so I’m used to avoiding the “eat more animal products” stuff. :)

8. Shosh says

Hi honey! Congrats on your successful demo! I’m so impressed! I wanted to mention that I also have had major issues with sore feet after walking, hiking etc (of course twinsies forevah) and at first I thought it was about shoe choices, then maybe about hard ground then I just thought I was getting old and getting plantar fasciitis. I’m wondering if the Epsom salts helped? I found that purposely stretching my feet and legs really helped prevent the pain and relieve it too. After a ton of research I read online somewhere that the pain in the soles of the feet could be caused by tight muscles in the calves, hamstrings etc. Anyway, just wondering if the salts helped you? Love and kisses! Xoxo

Hello my twinsie/love! The Epson salts did seem to help my feet and muscles. Even better than that, I recently bought some magnesium flakes which was a different type of magnesium and that was soooooo relaxing to soak in a warm tub of that. Have you ever tried the barefoot shoe thingies? I know there are some books out there on the topic, but I haven’t really done much research on it. Xoxo!!!

• Shosh says

Oh nice! I’ll be on the lookout for magnesium then! :)
        I haven’t tried the barefoot shoes thing, I am a big fan of the whole barefoot concept but those shoes are just too ugly for me. :) I either try to go really barefoot or wear minimal sole shoes. It’s awesome, except in winter here you do come to appreciate some nice thick boots protecting your feet from the cold wet ground! Miss you my darling! Xxoo

Hmmmm, I might try going barefoot more, too, except I worry about that plantar f(can’t spell it) thing. I’m going to do more research on this. I can sure appreciate that you can’t go barefoot in the winter where you are, though. Your toes might fall off!!! :)

• Shosh says

Oh and if you are interested in ideas on exercise intensity and frequency, check out Art DeVany. He’s another paleo type fellow but he’s regarded as a very smart and interesting thinker about exercise. Love you!

Thank you for the referral! It’s been so cool these past two weeks where I’ve traded cardio and weights for yoga. My energy is way up, I’m calmer, and my sugar cravings are so much easier to manage. I can’t wait to read more from Art. Xoxo!!!