Have you ever used peppermint extract? I am kind of obsessed with it right now and putting it into everything! The combination of carob or cocoa plus the peppermint reminds me of the old peppermint patties that I used to love, but can’t eat now because of all the sugar.
While this recipe isn’t truly “raw” in the strictest sense, the cookies are unbaked and come together in minutes. So, if you have a last minute gathering and want to bring a treat, I highly suggest these Raw Peppermint Bites (btw, who let Carrie run wild with the holiday photo edits? I can’t help it, it’s so fun!):
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup almonds (preferably raw and unsalted)
- 6 pitted Medjool dates
- ½ cup dried currants or raisins
- ¼ cup raw buckwheat groats that have been soaked, rinsed and dehydrated so they are crunchy (alternatively, you can use a crispy cereal or just leave them out)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon carob or 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut (for coating)
- Combine almonds, dates, currants, buckwheat groats, cinnamon, vanilla, carob and water in a food processor and process until ingredients are combined.
- Pour coconut onto a plate. Use your hands to form the dough into 12 balls and roll each one in the coconut.
I’ve made some other sugar-free treats that may also be appropriate for the holiday season including these Cranberry-Oat Cookies:
Or, these Sweet Potato Cookies:
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.