This post is to share a super simple healthy recipe for you that can be a dessert or a snack using a secret ingredient: jicama! I thought since we are getting near the holidays where luscious, decadent desserts reign supreme, it might be nice to have an easy, less rich dessert option.
Do you know what jicama looks like? It is a hideous thing:
But once you peel off the skin and chop it up, its creamy white flesh hides beautifully in the fruit salad:
I used some characteristic fruits of fall for the salad including persimmons, apples, and pears, with some sweet additions like mandarin oranges and kiwi. The jicama adds bulk, unsweetened dried coconut adds richness, and a splash of fresh lime juice pumps up the flavor.
And here is the printable recipe:
- 2 mandarin oranges
- 2 sweet red apples like Fuji or Honeycrisp
- 2 Fuyu persimmons
- 1 pear
- 3 kiwi fruit
- 1 medium jicama
- 1 small lime
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Peel the mandarin oranges and divide into segments, placing them into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Chop the apple, persimmons, and pear into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Carefully cut away the peel from the kiwi and slice the fruit. Add to the bowl and use a large spoon to combine the fruit.
- Rinse any dirt of the jicama and use a vegetable peeler to peel off the skin. Chop the jicama into bite-sized chunks.
- Juice the lime and pour the juice over the fruit. Sprinkle the coconut on top and stir well to combine.
My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance. Note: there may be some affiliate links within this post.