Carrot Pulp Crackers (Vegan & Gluten-Free)

Carrot Pulp Crackers from Carrie on Living

These crackers are an evolution of my Green Juice Crackers, with the most significant change being the inclusion of raw, soaked almonds with the inspiration from Gena’s Cheesy Almond Rosemary Cracker recipe and the use of strictly carrot pulp like Heather’s Raw Carrot Sandwich Bread.

It all starts with carrot pulp, saved from my juicer:

Carrot pulp

I’m not huge into juicing mainly because I’m lazy I prefer to just put my veggies in a smoothie, but it’s something I do now and again, either to drink or to use as a base for a soup.

For this recipe, you need to soak raw almonds in water overnight, and then rinse and drain them:

Raw soaked almonds

After putting the almonds in a food processor and blending them into a chunky texture, you then add the carrot pulp, ground flax seeds, ground chia seeds, coconut aminos, and all sorts of seasonings:

Ingredients for Carrot Pulp Crackers

It’s kind of a messy process getting everything together, but it’s worth it, I promise:

Making Carrot Pulp Crackers

Water makes it all go ’round:

Dough for Carrot Pulp Crackers

This recipe makes enough for two dehydrator sheets:

Carrot Pulp Cracker dough balls

I recommend using an off-set spatula to spread the dough thinly:

Carrot Pulp Cracker dough ready to be dehydrated

You can read in the recipe directions how long I bake the crackers, but you’ll need to score it into cracker shapes fairly early in the baking process:

Carrot Juice Pulp Crackers scored

Am I the only one who keeps her dehydrator in the laundry room next to the dust buster? It was either there or in the bathroom with the litter box (gross!):

Dehydrator in the laundry room

It takes many hours to get these crackers crisp, but this is my new favorite recipe:

Carrot Pulp Crackers all done

Carrot Pulp Crackers
Recipe type: Sides
Serves: 2 dozen
  • 1 cup almonds, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
  • 2 cups firmly packed carrot pulp
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
  • 1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 3 saffron threads (optional)
  • 2 cups water
  1. Place almonds in a food processor and process on high until broken into medium crumbles.
  2. Add carrot pulp, ground flax seed, ground chia seeds, coconut aminos, no-salt seasoning, red pepper flakes, dried onion, smoked paprika, and saffron threads (optional). Pulse ingredients to combine and then turn the processor on high, pouring in the water through the feeder tube. Add enough water that ingredients form a pourable dough.
  3. Divide the dough between two Teflex-lined dehydrator trays. Use an offset spatula to spread thinly. Dehydrate at 125 degrees for 2 hours. Use a knife to score the dough into cracker shapes and dehydrate for 8 hours at 115 degrees. Break the dough into crackers, flip, and bake for 6-8 more hours at 115 degrees.
  4. Store crackers in an air-tight container for up to 5-7 days.

Pin this!

Carrot Juice Crackers that are vegan, gluten-free, and a great way to use up the pulp leftover from juicing. This recipe is oil-free.

I love serving them with a green salad for some extra crunch and flavor:

Carrot Juice Crackers with a salad

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance. Note: there may be some affiliate links within this post.

I swear we are on the same wave length! I just bought sauerkraut mini crackers (they are FAR better than they sound) and I noticed they were made with a dehydrator, and I thought, “Hmm I bet I could make these!” Our dehydrator arrived today, and then you posted this recipe, so it’s all coming together, haha. Definitely going to give them a try using your recipe as a guide. Thank you!!!!!

Ha ha, you’re right, sauerkraut crackers sound really funky, but fascinating at the same time. 🙂 How exciting that you just got your dehydrator, I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Ohhhh, how I wish I had a juicer now. But one more kitchen appliance and I may have to buy a bigger house! (Oh, and I’d need a dehydrater too!) Actually, I’ve used my oven with great success in the past.

3. Jeanne says

Hi Carrie!
    These crackers look amazing and yummy! I just got a dehydrator about a week ago and the only thing I’ve made is banana chips. Perfect timing on posting this recipe! I also use the dehydrator in the laundry room, it would take up too much space in the kitchen. This way I can leave it out and I have more room for fruits and veggies on the kitchen counters.

Thanks Carrie!

Agreed and noisy, too. But, I find myself using mine quite a bit lately, especially because I’m trying to be better about soaking my raw nuts. Just make sure you have the space in a side room before you get one, I have to keep the door closed to my laundry room because the noise of the dehydrator is annoying (it’s like a loud fan).

Oh my goodness, these look absolutely yummy and will definitely get me into eating my carrots!! And I love the fact that almonds are added (I love almonds).
    Thanks for your site. As a newbie, on-the-road-to-vegan mama, I’m enjoying all of your great resources here.

Awww, thanks Demetria! 🙂 I love almonds, too, and these crackers are really one of my new favorite recipes. And, congrats on your soon-to-be-mama status! 🙂

Hi Suzanne! I agree, dehydrators are a big investment and I think funds are better spent on a high-speed blender or a food processor. That said, if you can swing it, I loooooove my dehydrator. 🙂

5. Jeanne says

I just sliced the banana and dehydrated the chips for 20 hours and they still never got super crispy, but they were good! Do you have the name of a really good book about dehydrating? Thanks.

These look so delicious!!! I make the exact same raw carrot cracker recipe every time I make raw crackers because I love them so much. But I really need to switch it up and am going to make these very soon.
    What’s with men and their coffee anyway? I’m a mean wife – I don’t let my hubby make coffee at home. The smell makes me nauseated…

How funny! I actually love the smell of coffee, but hate the taste! I just got Alan some Dandy Blend so he gets more of a variety; I don’t like him drinking too much of the coffee because of the acidity.

I made these carrot crackers and I loved them, as did everyone else! The flavor was great. The only problem is they were pretty fragile and crumbly after coming out of my dehydrator. I did not use coconut aminos…what does that do?

Hey Lauren! The coco aminos is just for flavor. My crackers were not super fragile, but moderately so. Maybe make them thicker or add some sunflower or flax seeds next time for a little more structure?

Hello again! I am going to make these again this weekend. I’m curious about baking them instead of using my dehydrator. Have you tried it, and what would you suggest for temp and baking time?

Thanks and have a great weekend,

Hi Lauren. Great question! I was wondering that myself because I’m going to make a new version of these crackers soon. I just did a little research and it looks like 20 min in a 350 was mentioned. I might try 325 just to make sure they don’t burn. I’ll let you know how that turns out for me and I hope you let me know, too.

Hi Carrie,
            I realized I hadn’t followed up on this thread. I made them again and baked them this time at 325, keeping an eye on them. It took 30 minutes to get them to the crispness I wanted. The dough was a little thicker this time, too!
            I posted the recipe on my site Edible Musings and gave you credit!!

Thanks for letting me know on the oven baking time, Lauren. I’m testing another cracker dehydrator recipe and the info is really helpful. Awww, thanks for the shout-out on your site. Xoxo! 🙂

8. Anna says

Can you make these crackers without the almonds? A friend of mine is allergic to nuts. I thought she would like this recipe if she could make it without nuts.

9. Christine says

These are really tasty! Finally something to do with the leftover carrot juice pulp. They will be a weekly regular in our house.