My Three Year Vegan-Versary

Horizontal Vegan MoFo banner

Today is my three-year anniversary of going vegan!

I’m a little overwhelmed when I think about the changes that have occurred in my life during that time including discovering Dr. Fuhrman’s program and addressing my migraines, anxiety, and allergies with a whole foods, plant-based diet, getting diagnosed and treated for thyroid cancer, and finishing my research project on disease in vegetarians vs. non-vegetarians for my masters degree in public health nutrition.

To go along with my big change back in 2010, I changed my blog from its original name “Love Healthy Living,” to what it is now: “Carrie on Vegan.” I immersed myself in the plant-based community and have had the opportunity to meet many of my heroes (check out my “Vegan Celebrity Sightings” album on my Facebook page) and made new, dear friends, many of whom now I now cannot imagine my life without. I also created a recipe app, Vegan Delish, that is a huge part of my public health work.

And, of course, I’d be remiss if I didn’t highlight the fact that I have gained so much from you, dear readers, over these past three years. I know not everyone is vegan who reads my blog, but the fact that you’re interested and engaged and open-minded means so much to me and is one of the driving factors that keeps me going. And, to the veteran vegans and plant-based advocates who have “vegucated” me and cheered me on, thank you for your ongoing in inspiration and support.

As I celebrate this special day, I appreciate that my passion for continuing this way of living is based on the very reason why I became a vegan: a deep love and respect for all creatures and a desire to reduce suffering. Many people call this “ethical veganism” and it accurately describes my desire to live a compassionate life, all while enjoying the cruelty-free, whole plant-foods that are as nutritious as they are delicious.

Here are some of my favorite links you might want to check out:

My interview on Dr. Fuhrman’s blog “Interview with a Nutritarian: Carrie.”

An article I wrote for the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetic’s blog on why my veganism is more than just about food.

My list of Vegan Resources and a Carrie on Vegan Amazon store with my essential items.

A guest article I wrote for the Our Hen House blog called “How Cancer Grew My Activist Spirit.”

I’m very visually-oriented and I think my before and after vegan pictures are quite telling:

Carrie before and after pictures

Just yesterday, I celebrated my vegan-versary with my very first trip to an Animal Sanctuary: Pigs Peace Sanctuary in Stanwood, WA. I will be sharing the details of my trip soon, but please meet my new friend, her name is Betsy:

Betsy from Pigs Peace Sanctuary

Again, thank you for reading my little blog and for helping me discover and fulfill what I consider my life’s purpose: living a healthy, compassionate life and inspiring others to do the same. I’m hoping for a great future of love, understanding, and continued positive change for all of us. Save a life: go vegan!!!

Comments

1. Sharen Sammons says

Thank you for your inspiration. While I have been a vegetarian for almost 35 years, I have only been plant strong 1.25 years. One of the things that keeps me inspired to continue is reading your blog.

• Sharen Sammons says

For going vegetarian, I grew up in the Midwest and when I was 16, I did a science report on the agricultural industry. I was horrified by what I was learning and decided then and there to stop eating meat. Unfortunately, my mother who is NOT supportive in the least told me that I could not do that in her household. So, while I waited for my freedom, I educated myself so that when I went off to college, I was ready to go. I did. A couple of years ago, I gave up eggs, mainly for economic reasons, at first, I just was using too few eggs to justify the expense. Then, as I was looking around the internet, I stumbled on several blogs and the writings of several people, including doctors, and started educating myself about the evils of dairy. Then, I got my certification as a Nutritionist and investigated several other blos, including yours, and my plant-strong journey began.

Thanks for sharing that about your journey, Sharen. Wow, I bet a lot of people can identify with not having a supportive family. I am so inspired and encouraged by people like you who go against the grain even when it’s not that common or acknowledged, but it’s still the right thing to do.

Thanks, Suzanne! I continue to find so much inspiration from our amazing community that I know there will indeed be many more vegan-versaries to celebrate in the future. :)

Thanks, Katie!!! Did I identify Betsy correctly? I am so bad with names, apparently both humans and animals. :) Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement to visit Pigs Peace, it was really meaningful and the best way I could have spent my vegan-versary weekend (in addition to seeing you). :)

Hey girl! Congrats on the 3 years! That’s awesome! You have accomplish so SO much! WOW!!!!!! That’s great!

This week I am doing Mostly Liquids – I’m blogging about it. I also have improved my photo set-up for pictures on my blog that I blogged about today too! LOTS happening in the blogging world for many of us! LOVE hearing about it all!

3. bitt says

Pigs Peace is the best! So glad you got to go there. Happy Vegan-versary and may you have many more vegan-delicious years to come.

Thank you, Bitt. Your support and encouragement means a lot. I hope to visit many more sanctuaries in the future and do my best to raise awareness; my afternoon at Pigs Peace yesterday was a special time.

Happy Vegan-Versary Carrie! You’re just glowing in your after photo :) It’s amazing how changing to a plant based diet changes you from the inside out in such drastic positive ways! Dr. Furhman’s Eat to Live was the book that changed my life! I couldn’t even imagive what life would be like now, if I hadn’t read it. Thank you for sharing your story and experiences.

Thanks for the note, Chris! I’m so lucky to FEEL like I’m glowing, especially because this past year has been pretty hard. Dr. Fuhrman changed my life as well and I’m forever grateful to him for that. :)

5. Patty says

Carrie, Happy Veganversary!!!! I love little Betsy….she is a doll! This is a quickie comment today, because I’m super overloaded with my work today, but wanted to also just tell you I made the Chickpea Kale Burgers, and they were AMAZING and SO easy. I ate mine on a bed of greens with a homemade tomato dressing. They are delicious and I love the texture. xo

Congratulations on three years! You are a huge inspiration. Betsy is adorable; I can’t wait to hear more about your trip to the sanctuary. We adopted two potbellied pigs and they make the best pets!

7. bhoneycombe says

First of all – Happy Anniversary – what a great achievement. Just come across your site and love it.

I’m about 5 months plant-strong and loving it.

Please take a look at my blog – Called Plantalicious http://wp.me/P3EfqD-1 and let me have any comments – i’d value your feedback. Please share it if you feel your followers would be interested.

Thanks a lot – and here’s to many more plant-strong years!

Barry x

Happy Vegan-Versary!!!!!!!!! How exciting =D Three years! That’s just so awesome Carrie. I had my 4-year on the 1st of September, I guess it’s a good month to go vegan haha ;p

Look at how much you have accomplished in 3 years. You are incredible and a huge inspiration. I’m so happy to have had the chance to meet you =D

9. Lilly says

Thank YOU, Carrie for your wonderful blog. Someday I may get an iphone and get to enjoy Vegan Delish, too. You do so much!!!

Betsy is adorable. Oh my gosh, what a cute photo!

1. […] I’m glad you’re enjoying pictures from my trip to Seattle last weekend. In today’s post, I want to talk about my visit to Pigs Peace Sanctuary in Stanwood, WA, which is about one hour north of the downtown Seattle area. On a bigger level, too, I want to talk about my previous concerns about visiting an animal sanctuary and why it took me three years to get to one. […]