Vegan Adventures in San Francisco

Alan and I took a road trip last weekend up to California’s Bay Area. Although we primarily visited family just outside San Francisco, we had plenty of time for some vegan adventures that I thought I would share in a photo journal.

Saturday’s highlight was going into SF; I especially love visiting the Ferry Building:

At the Ferry Building

One of my favorite vendors is Far West Fungi:

Mushrooms at the Ferry Building

This is the only type of lobster I’ll consider eating now:

Lobster mushrooms

The farmers’ market was happening outside and I had so much fun ogling the summer produce:

Summer produce at the farmers' market

Farmers' market produce

Tokyo turnips

Tomatoes at the market

The flowers were out of control:

Flowers at the farmers' market

Dahlias are my absolute favorite:

Dahlias at the farmers' market

The only thing more beautiful than the flowers was this lady, Gena from Choosing Raw (you can read about her trip in this post):

Carrie and Gena

Gena and I got snacks at the market and had time to catch up before she had to leave for the airport. I had a fresh juice, the “Octet”:

Fresh green juice

After bidding farewell to Gena and the market, Alan and I headed over to the incomparable Gracias Madre in the Mission district for lunch:

Gracias Madre sign

I had the soft taco combo plate with greens, mushrooms, and plantains, topped with cashew cream and served with refried beans:

Taco combo plate

We had a service issue, so dessert was complimentary. Vegan flan and chocolate cake with housemade coconut ice cream – what a feast!

Desserts at Gracias Madre

Sunday was equally fun. I had the chance to meet fellow blogger and new friend Kimmy at the Dish Hike in Palo Alto:

Kimmy and Carrie

Brunch included a Basil Pesto Tofu Scramble and a Veganized Huevos Rancheros at the Plant Cafe (I subbed quinoa for the bread to make it gluten-free):

Brunch at Plant Cafe

Alan and I hit the road on Monday morning to come home. Lunch was a wonderful meal from the “Health Starts Here” section at Whole Foods: kale salad topped with lemon quinoa and roasted garlic garbanzo beans, eaten with a nectarine from the farmers’ market:

Whole Foods salad

Oh my goodness, what a fun weekend that was and included all my favorite things in life: friends, family, food, shopping, hiking, and eating. Even though I was ready to come home and get back to my routine, I suppose you could say that I left a piece of my heart, well, you know where:

Bay Bridge in San Francisco

Conclusion:

I’ll be back here on Friday with a new post. If you’re a Vegan Delish app user, make sure to update to the latest version (the update will show automatically in the App Store). The software bug that was causing a crash has been fixed…phew!!! You’ll also want to check out the “Summer Recipes” category that is just filled to the brim with easy, fresh offerings:

Vegan Delish Summer Recipes

Hungry for more Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+ and don’t forget to help keep my blog going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here.

Comments

That looks like a fantastic trip to San Fran! I used to live there, so Thank you for sharing! I’ve been wanting to eat at Gracias Madre. This summer it became “Cafe Gratitude” and “Crossroads Kitchen” in Los Angeles instead where I got to meet Tal Ronnen.

Health & Happiness, UrbanVeganChic

Hi Nina! Thanks for the note! I am super excited to try Crossroads Kitchen. I just read the review in VegNews and plan to visit the next time I’m in LA. How exciting that you got to meet Tal! :)

2. Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler says

Oy — of course I read this during lunchtime. Now I’m REALLY hungry! All of that looks SO GOOD. And gosh, I am a sucker for a good farmers market.

Well Carrie we nearly crossed paths in SF this past weekend! We also ate at The Plant Café and loved it. I wanted to try Gracias Madre but we didn’t have time to make it there. It’s on my list for the next trip. It’s difficult to resume real life after a nice trip away!

Hi Tami! I didn’t mention this, but I actually ate at the Plant Cafe outside the city (in Burlingame). But, I’ve been to the one on Pier 3, I love the atmosphere at that location. I agree, it’s hard to get back to normal life after a vacation, even just a short one.

Isn’t SF just the best!? You went to my favorite places, the ferry building farmers market is so incredible. A little more pricey than other markets in the area, but the variety cannot be beat. Those lobster mushrooms look amazing! Gracias Madre is one of my must-stops whenever we head into the city. Glad you had a good time!

5. abb says

Hi, Carrie. I, too, was at the Ferry Plaza on Saturday! Met up with some (non-vegan) family at a (non-vegan) restaurant, so I had my beans, hummus, and no-oil dressing with me, and it worked great. Ate at Cafe Gratitude in Berkeley the next day, chowing down on my favorite “I Am Fulfilled” salad. Love seeing your recap!

Hi! Oh darn, that’s too bad we missed each other!!! Wow, it was so crowded though, I had a hard time getting through the crowds. I’m envious that you got to Cafe Gratitude. I intend to get to the Berkeley location on my next trip. Thanks for the note. :)

6. Jeanne says

Hi Carrie!
    Your pictures always make me hungry. I have to ask, what do those “lobster” mushrooms taste like? Carrie, you look so good and peaceful.

Hugs,
    Jeanne

Hi Jeanne! Well, I have to admit, I did not buy any of those mushrooms since I was far from home. Also, I think they might have been a little too pricey for me. :) But, aren’t they neat looking? Thank you for the sweet words. Hugs back.

Sounds like you had a great time here =) That’s so great you got to see Gena – I would love to meet her sometime.
    All the food looks so good! I think I got the same thing as you the time I went to Gracias Madre… yummy.
    It was SO GREAT meeting you lady! Thank you for taking the time out for a hike with me =)