Chickpea Croutons & Summer Delights

Baked Chickpea Croutons.

Baked chickpeas are a great way to add some crunch to your life, whether as a crispy snack or, my new favorite way, as a topping for salads. I made a cinnamon version last year in a recipe you can see here, but I’ve updated the recipe to a zestier version that Alan, my husband, dubbed “Chickpea Croutons.”

Even though I generally don’t use oil in my cooking, this recipe works much better with some oil to get the crispiness; I recommend using coconut oil. I also used 1/4 teaspoon of salt (another usual no-no in my cooking), but a minimal amount used with the other spices is just enough.

These Chickpea Croutons are easy-peasy to make, you just combine everything in a big bowl:

Chickpea Crouton ingredients.

I like to spread them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for baking (makes for easier clean-up). After about 45-50 minutes in a 400 degree oven, here’s what you get:

Baked Chickpea Croutons.

I hope you enjoy this new recipe, I know I did:

Chickpea Croutons up close.

Summer is humming along, I hope these longer days are treating you well. I was on a road trip this past weekend and had the opportunity to visit a new Whole Foods Market that just opened up in Oxnard, California:

Carrie at Whole Foods Market in Oxnard, CA.

The produce area was incredible and filled with locally-sourced items (not that hard considering Oxnard is a huge agricultural area):

Whole Foods in Oxnard.

They have an Airstream inside that serves as the bar:

Airstream bar in Oxnard Whole Foods Market.

I loved seeing the huge, dedicated refrigerator for vegan and vegetarian items:

Vegan fridge aisle in Whole Foods Market in Oxnard, CA.

I didn’t buy any perishable items at the store because I had more driving to do, but I stopped at my absolute favorite place to buy produce, my local farm stand, on the way home. It doesn’t get much more charming than a stand that runs on the honor system and is guarded by a sleeping puss:

Shadow protecting the vegetables.

Until Friday, stay cool, take a nap, and eat your veggies. :)

Do you like reading my blog? Please consider helping me to keep it going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here. Or, if you already have my app, would you recommend it to a friend? The best link to share is the iTunes preview page (click here). Every download helps me cover the costs of running this website. Thank you for your support!!!

Comments

1. Patty says

Hi Carrie,
    The photo of the sleepy kitty, at the produce stand, is great!! Since the herbs are right there, it looks like he, or she, just had some catnip, and is sleeping it off! Ha ha! :) I love this idea of crunchy chickpeas. Now, this will be my recipe of choice this weekend. But, I don’t know much about coconut oil, coconut vinegar, etc., and I notice you do use them occasionally, and I’d like to try. So could you tell me your favorite kind, where you buy them (vitacost?), and if there is some source I should look up to know more about the whole coconut thing, or if you can give me a little info. Like, how do you liquify it? You know, I’m just really learning some cooking skills, so sorry for the basic question. It’s cool though, not only have you taught me tons of cool recipes and food ideas, but also you taught me how to roast a garlic, about Feedly, and about Vitacost! Thank you, awesome lady!! :)

Hi Patty! I get organic coconut oil at Trader Joe’s, but it is really easy to find at most markets. I liquefy it by putting it in a small bowl and microwaving it for about 20 seconds. Sorry, I should have specified how to do that! Thanks for the comment. :)

That’s awesome! I was actually able to take a day trip over to a WHole Foods this weekend, too! It’s only the 2nd one I have been to! This one was in Woodmere, OH. I hope to blog about it – if not today – tomorrow! The other one I have been to was the one in Las Vegas!

cute puddy!

great idea to add the dried onion for extra interest and texture. I’m going to do this next time I roast a batch. I tried balsamic vinegar & sea salt a while ago, I think the spiced version is best though.
    India x

Hi Shari! I hope I can afford to make my app available on Android, but time will tell. Thank you so much for your interest, though. :)

I love this post! It just screams of your passion.
    I am looking forward to trying the crouton this weekend. Hooray! Something new to try.
    The other day I was all excited that my “dumb”phone was giving up on me and that I’d be able to get an iPhone… then it came back to life and the practical side of me said just to wait for it to seriously croak before upgrading. I soooo want your app!

Great minds must think alike – I just put a recipe on my blog for spiced chickpeas too, but your salad looks tha bomb! Yum!

….. and I’m very jealous of everyone living in the US, because Whole Foods Market looks amazing.

Hi Carrie,

We’ve been making these for years without oil or salt and they still come out crunchy and flavorful, I promise?

Love & Kale,
    Chef AJ

7. Sharon McRae says

Hi Carrie, my family loves roasted chickpeas! We never use oil or salt, just toss them in some lemon juice with curry powder, garlic powder and garam masala. I put them in the oven at 350-400o and stir a few times and they really do get crunchy after around 45 min or so….the taste is amazing, too!

I love a Whole Foods Market and we always check them out when we are traveling. It’s also a great place to get a hearty salad when traveling.

I am glad that chef AJ mentioned being able to make the roasted chickpeas with no oil – I haven’t made them since going plant strong because of the oil. Good to know it will work.

Oh yum, those chickpeas sound so good! I love the idea of just eating them plain as a snack (in a salad would be good too though!).
    Ah I love a good trip to Whole Foods – new ones are especially fun =) I’ve never seen one with an airstream – very cool!
    Hope you’re having a great week Carrie!