Summer is here, but that doesn’t mean we have to stop cooking. I like using the crock-pot when temperatures heat up, because it means I don’t have to heat up my kitchen with the stove or the oven.
And, even though I love my cold salads even more in the summertime, I do like the heartiness of a cooked, nourishing meal for dinner.
This Indian-inspired Dal is super easy to make. I do recommend water-sauteing the vegetables before adding them to the pot, but that step could be left out if you were really short on time:
Red lentils look like this:
I like to cook this on low for five hours. You could use a regular pot on the stove if you wanted, it would probably need to simmer for about 30-40 minutes:
Also, just to note, you can adjust the spices according to what you have in your pantry. If you are missing one, just leave it out or add more of another. I do recommend using garam masala or curry, though, that’s what adds the Indian flavor to this recipe.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 lb. carrots
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium tomato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions), chopped
- Chop carrots into 1-inch pieces. Chop onion and tomato. Slice bell peppers. Mince garlic.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of water. Add carrots, onion, tomato, bell peppers, and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Rinse and drain lentils and pick through for any debris.
- Combine carrots, onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, lentils, water, cumin, no-salt seasoning, dried oregano, turmeric, ground ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper in a slow-cooker. Set to low and cook for on low for at least 5 hours or until lentils are softened.
- Top with chopped green onions. As an option, serve over cooked brown rice or fresh salad greens with a dollop of dairy-free yogurt.
You can also find the recipe on my app, Vegan Delish (get it here):
Phew! What a busy weekend I had. I don’t know if I have mentioned this yet, but I have been getting ready to attend Dr. Fuhrman’s annual Getaway in San Diego this year. I am beyond excited. You can read about my experience at last year’s Getaway here and here.
So, forgive the short post, but you know how it is when you are trying to wrap up a million things before going out of town?
Have a great start to your week and I’ll see you back here on Wednesday. Also, I will be blogging from the Conference so stay tuned for that.
Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or Google+ and don’t forget to help keep my blog going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here. Thank you!!!