Dairy-Free Tropical Island Ice Cream

Tropical Island Vegan Ice Cream from Carrie on Vegan

With summer just around the corner, we’re all taking time off and going on a tropical island vacation soon, right? No? That’s okay, me neither.

But, we can pretend by making a dairy-free, vegan version of ice cream that will transport you to vacation bliss with every luscious spoonful. As well as being completely vegan, this recipe is also only sweetened with the fruit and dates with the lovely balance of vanilla bean and coconut.

I’m sharing the recipe and instructions below, but also wanted to incorporate a version of “What I Ate Wednesday” into this post.

Photo Food Journal:

Yesterday morning started off with a kale and strawberry green smoothie topped with dehydrated buckwheat groats:

Energizing Green Smoothie topped with buckwheat groats from Carrie on Vegan.

I then had a mugful of hot cacao and soy milk:

Hot cacao and soy milk from Carrie on Vegan.

Lunch was a bit delayed and was larger than normal. I heated up some leftover steamed greens that were mixed with tempeh and soy curls that I had marinated in a homemade BBQ sauce (ketchup, tamari, and a dash of maple syrup), plus a few slices of baked sweet potato:

Leftover steamed green dish from Carrie on Vegan.

This was my first time making soy curls, I bought them while I was in Portland for Vida Vegan Con. I like the texture, but considering that they are a processed food, I likely won’t be buying them in the future. It was fun to try them, though, and I think they are fantastic for “once in a while” occasions. Here was my bowl topped with scallions and chopped red onion:

Steamed greens, tempeh, and soy curls in BBQ sauce from Carrie on Vegan.

And, of course, dessert was a brand-new version of vegan ice cream that I make using coconut milk as the base. I made a Strawberry & Vanilla Bean version last month (see the recipe here), but this version uses mango and pineapple for that tropical flavor.

Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients for Tropical Island Ice Cream from Carrie on Vegan.

They get blended up before freezing:

Ingredients for vegan ice cream getting blended.

Then, the mixture goes into the ice cream maker for 30 minutes and transforms into this:

Ice cream is done!

The vanilla beans totally made this recipe. Here was my bowl (x2):

Tropical Island Ice Cream from Carrie on Vegan.

With the heavy, late lunch, I wasn’t hungry for dinner, so that was my last meal for the day.

Here is the printable recipe for the ice cream:

This recipe has been uploaded to Vegan Delish, my recipe app for iPhones and iPads:

Tropical Island Ice Cream on Vegan Delish, the recipe app for iPhones and iPads.

Get this recipe plus over 100 more of my favorites here!

Conclusion:

One of you lovely readers asked if I would add a “pin it” button to my blog so you easily pin the images to Pinterest. Done! When you are on the site and you mouse over an image, you will see that feature on the right side of each photo. I also try to pin my images to my boards here.

Thank you so much for reading and I’ll see you back here on Friday!

Comments

• Pearlie says

Hey Carrie~ I bought a really nice ice cream maker @ the Thrift store that still looks new & it works. So I been looking for an icecream recipe & seen ur ad. So as I was reading ur recipe.. I noticed a picture of ur icecream maker.. It’s the same one that u have. I’m so glad I will make some of ur icecream cause I know that the amount of the recipe wil fit . I got a deal.. Only for $8. =)

1. Cat says

Hi Carrie, would you mind sharing your recipe for your cacao drink? I haven’t been able to make one that tastes good yet!

Hi Cat! Well, mine is pretty simple: 1 T cacao, 6 oz. hot water, 10 drops of liquid stevia or 1 T coconut sugar, and about 2 T of soy milk.

2. Candice says

Hi, Carrie! I recently came across your blog and am loving it! Thank you for all of your awesome recipes and inspiration!

• Suzanne says

I remember at my friend’s bridal shower, her older (8-10 yrs older) sisters saying that they wanted to have another shower as their stuff was dated and old…I see this now that I am 19 years into marriage! Thank goodness for birthdays and Christmas!

I bought my ice cream maker for myself for my bday last year – under $50 and put to good use ..I now feel good (well, relatively speaking of course!) about my boyz eating ice cream and can make vegan ones for less! Everyone thought it crazy that I bought my own gift – but I got what I wanted and no one is complaining now when they are served up the creamy goodness (last night’s was irish cream served with Oh She Glows strawberry oat bars…mmmmmm)

Love your blog Carrie

Hi Suzanne! Thanks for the note. Hey, there’s an idea, to have a bridal shower every 10 years or so. I could use some more kitchen supplies. :) Irish cream ice cream sounds divine. Enjoy your weekend!!!

This sounds so incredible, and I love anything with vanilla beans in it!! It’s been so hot lately that it looks like I might be making this every day!!

Hi Kimmy! I don’t think the food processor will work, you need an ice cream maker to incorporate air to give it the right texture. Otherwise, it’s going to taste like a super-duper thick, sweet smoothie and not like ice cream.

4. Alison says

Hey Carrie,

Thanks for another great post! :) Do you make your own ketchup for the BBQ sauce? Or is it Dr. Fuhrman’s? I am looking for a good SOS-free recipe or inexpensive store-bought version. Any suggestions? Also, could you let me know how much of each ingredient you added to make the BBQ sauce? Thanks!

That ice cream looks insanely good! And I’m doubly thrilled that it’s banana free, because bananas and I don’t get along, shall we say, and it’s really hard to find whole-food ice cream recipes that don’t use them. Can’t wait to try this!

6. Laurie says

You’ve convinced me to order an ice cream maker! I got your model because it sounds like you’re happy with it. As I read the reviews, a lot of people mentioned they have trouble getting their ice cream to firm up. Have you had any trouble with soupy ice cream and do you have any tips?

Hi Laurie! The key to getting the ice cream to firm up is to freeze it a few hours after it’s done in the ice cream maker. I like to use the maker in the morning and then freeze the ice cream for about 3-4 hours and have it after lunch. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for linking-up to 5-Ingredient Mondays, Carrie. I cannot wait to try your ice cream, I’ve definitely been in an ice cream mood since summer arrived! Hope to see you back this week: )