Dairy-Free Tropical Island Ice Cream

Dairy-Free Tropical Ice Cream from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

With summer just around the corner, we’re all taking time off and going on a tropical island vacation soon, right? No? That’s okay, me neither.

But, we can pretend by making a dairy-free version of ice cream that will transport you to vacation bliss with every luscious spoonful. As well as being completely vegan, this recipe is also only sweetened with the fruit and dates with the lovely balance of vanilla bean and coconut.

Here are the ingredients:

Dairy-Free Tropical Ice Cream from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

They get blended up before freezing:

Dairy-Free Tropical Ice Cream from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Then, the mixture goes into the ice cream maker for 30 minutes and transforms into this:

Dairy-Free Tropical Ice Cream from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

The vanilla beans totally made this recipe. Here was my bowl (x2):

Dairy-Free Tropical Ice Cream from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Here is the printable recipe for the ice cream:

Dairy-Free Tropical Island Ice Cream

Tropical Ice Cream 6 servings
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 1 cup frozen pineapple (you can also use fresh or canned)
  • 1 cup frozen mango (you can also use fresh)
  • 1 13.5-ounce can organic, natural coconut milk
  • 2 vanilla beans
  • 1 ½ cups Medjool dates
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
Instructions
  1. De-frost the frozen pineapple and mango in the refrigerator overnight. Place the coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight to chill thoroughly.
  2. Using a sharp knife, cut off the ends of the vanilla beans and down the middle of each pod. Use the flat side of the knife to remove the seeds. Add the vanilla bean seeds along with the pineapple, mango, coconut milk, dates, and soy milk into a high-speed blender. Process on high until smooth.
  3. Pour the contents into the bowl of an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for processing. In general, the ice cream needs to churn for about 30 minutes.
  4. Pour the ice cream into an air-tight container and place in the freezer for an additional four hours before serving.

Pin it!

Dairy-Free Tropical Ice Cream

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!

Comments

• Pearlie says

Hey Carrie~ I bought a really nice ice cream maker @ the Thrift store that still looks new & it works. So I been looking for an icecream recipe & seen ur ad. So as I was reading ur recipe.. I noticed a picture of ur icecream maker.. It’s the same one that u have. I’m so glad I will make some of ur icecream cause I know that the amount of the recipe wil fit . I got a deal.. Only for $8. =)

1. Cat says

Hi Carrie, would you mind sharing your recipe for your cacao drink? I haven’t been able to make one that tastes good yet!

Hi Cat! Well, mine is pretty simple: 1 T cacao, 6 oz. hot water, 10 drops of liquid stevia or 1 T coconut sugar, and about 2 T of soy milk.

2. Candice says

Hi, Carrie! I recently came across your blog and am loving it! Thank you for all of your awesome recipes and inspiration!

• Suzanne says

I remember at my friend’s bridal shower, her older (8-10 yrs older) sisters saying that they wanted to have another shower as their stuff was dated and old…I see this now that I am 19 years into marriage! Thank goodness for birthdays and Christmas!

I bought my ice cream maker for myself for my bday last year – under $50 and put to good use ..I now feel good (well, relatively speaking of course!) about my boyz eating ice cream and can make vegan ones for less! Everyone thought it crazy that I bought my own gift – but I got what I wanted and no one is complaining now when they are served up the creamy goodness (last night’s was irish cream served with Oh She Glows strawberry oat bars…mmmmmm)

Love your blog Carrie

Hi Suzanne! Thanks for the note. Hey, there’s an idea, to have a bridal shower every 10 years or so. I could use some more kitchen supplies. :) Irish cream ice cream sounds divine. Enjoy your weekend!!!

This sounds so incredible, and I love anything with vanilla beans in it!! It’s been so hot lately that it looks like I might be making this every day!!

Hi Kimmy! I don’t think the food processor will work, you need an ice cream maker to incorporate air to give it the right texture. Otherwise, it’s going to taste like a super-duper thick, sweet smoothie and not like ice cream.

4. Alison says

Hey Carrie,

Thanks for another great post! :) Do you make your own ketchup for the BBQ sauce? Or is it Dr. Fuhrman’s? I am looking for a good SOS-free recipe or inexpensive store-bought version. Any suggestions? Also, could you let me know how much of each ingredient you added to make the BBQ sauce? Thanks!

That ice cream looks insanely good! And I’m doubly thrilled that it’s banana free, because bananas and I don’t get along, shall we say, and it’s really hard to find whole-food ice cream recipes that don’t use them. Can’t wait to try this!

6. Laurie says

You’ve convinced me to order an ice cream maker! I got your model because it sounds like you’re happy with it. As I read the reviews, a lot of people mentioned they have trouble getting their ice cream to firm up. Have you had any trouble with soupy ice cream and do you have any tips?

Hi Laurie! The key to getting the ice cream to firm up is to freeze it a few hours after it’s done in the ice cream maker. I like to use the maker in the morning and then freeze the ice cream for about 3-4 hours and have it after lunch. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for linking-up to 5-Ingredient Mondays, Carrie. I cannot wait to try your ice cream, I’ve definitely been in an ice cream mood since summer arrived! Hope to see you back this week: )