How to Make a Micro-Chopped Salad

Micro-Chopped Salad from Carrie on Vegan

I try to eat at least one salad a day with lots of raw vegetables and I fully admit that it’s a challenge to make them appetizing and enjoyable on a regular basis.

Micro-Chopped Salad Technique:

However, one technique I picked up from other salad aficionados that I love is to put the ingredients in a food processor to change the texture and offer a little variety. This weekend, as the temperatures climbed here in Southern California, a version with chopped green vegetables, garbanzo beans, and a light vinegar dressing sounded refreshing.

I decided to use celery, kale, romaine, sunflower sprouts, onion, and broccoli slaw, mainly because that’s what I had in the refrigerator. I’m certain you could use whatever sounds good to you. It is important to give your ingredients a rough chop before putting them in the food processor, though, to make it easier for the appliance to work.

I layered my ingredients in the bowl (the order is of no importance, I just tried to make it pretty for the picture):

Layers of veggies for my chopped salad.

I pushed the “pulse” button several times and this is what I got:

Micro-Chopped Salad after processing.

I used a spatula to push the vegetables around a bit and pulsed it again for just about another 5-10 seconds:

Another shot of my salad.

I topped the salad with some coconut vinegar (I buy mine at Vitacost…use this link if you’re a new customer and we’ll both get $10 off), and some garbanzo beans.

Here is the printable recipe:

I uploaded the Micro-Chopped Salad to Vegan Delish this weekend, here’s a screenshot of the iPad version:

Micro-Chopped Salad on the iPad

I liked this salad so much on Saturday, that I made it again on Sunday. For the second version, I used the same vegetables, but topped with a simple dressing of almond butter mixed with the vinegar and some chopped olives and sauerkraut that I got at the farmers’ market:

Micro-Chopped Salad with olives and sauerkraut

Weekend Milestones:

I hope you had a nice weekend. I worked really, really hard and wrote the last section of my master’s degree paper just this morning. I can’t tell you how good it feels to get near the end of this project. A few other milestones occurred this weekend (in addition to my four-year blogging anniversary just last week!).

First, we reached the end of Part I of our Summer 2013 Healthy Vegan Challenge, woo-hoo! Congrats to everyone who participated. This Challenge mainly exists on Facebook, so feel free to join the group here and stay tuned for announcements regarding Part II of this Challenge.

Secondly, Saturday was the 8-month anniversary of my thyroid cancer surgery. You all have been so sweet and supportive and interested in how I am feeling. I would say that I have about 85-90% of the energy I had before surgery, but every six weeks I am having blood work done to monitor my thryoid levels and make adjustments to my replacement medication.

I’ve also had laser work done on my scar and that is really starting to heal nicely. I posted a picture on my Facebook page, but here it is again in case you want to see the progress (I posted other progress pictures here and here).

Carrie's thyroid cancer scar at 8 months.

Conclusion:

That’s it for today! I’ll be back here on Wednesday with a brand new post. In the meantime, connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+ and don’t forget to help keep my blog going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here.

Comments

Delicious looking concoction! Can’t wait to try out this trick.

And a HUGE congrats on all your progress health-wise, your scar looks like it’s healing really really well!

P.S. I’m going to have surgery in 6 or so weeks and my doctor asked me to bulk up on protein & iron – Did you get a similar request prior to your surgery? If so, do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Hi Caity! Thanks for the note. I appreciate your kind words. I’m sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery, I hope it goes well. My doctor didn’t have any suggestions like that, although he did ask me about supplements I was taking to make sure I wasn’t a bleeding risk. You might want to clarify with your doctor about the protein/iron. I’m not a health professional, but I don’t think the body can store protein and I’m not sure the best way to increase iron without causing side effects. Also, it might be worthwhile to test your iron status first before making any kind of change. That would be my personal opinion. :)

I love my Vegan Delish app and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see more recipes like this on it! I’m always on the lookout for new salads, especially yummy veggie-intensive ones. I also love that you use almond butter for a salad dressing. I love doing that. I’m going add this salad to my meal plan for an upcoming five-day sugar detox.

Congrats on finishing your masters’ work!

Hi Maggie! Thanks so much for the kind words on Vegan Delish. I’m soooo glad you like it! I plan on adding more and more recipes and I appreciate the suggestion for more salads. Your suggestion got my creative juices flowing. Thanks again!!! :)

3. Oly Jacobsen says

So much to celebrate and be thankful for, Carrie! Congrats <3 I have a slicer for my food processor, which I often use. Andthen I have a spiralizer for vegetable noodles. I never get tired of salads!!! Sometimes I dehydrate some veggie to give it another texture… and then I make an awesome dressing with almond butter, vinegar, dates and fresh grated ginger :-)
    Enjoy your week!

Hi Oly! I love the idea of dehydrating veggies and putting those on salads for some variety in texture, too. You have a great week as well! Hugs.

You’ve been BUSY! Wow! Congrats, girl! LOVE this Chopped Salad! I really thing a lot of people underestimate salads…NOT ME! LOVE them!

HI Carrie,

What a wonderful easy way to make a big salad! I eat lots of crunchy salads like that too. I am just getting acquainted with your blog, after having had the opportunity to be at Vida Vegan in Portland. (I was the one with the cool service dog.) I write a blog at Fat Free Vegan called Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle. Ihttp://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/
    I’d love it if you had time to take a look sometime.
    Congratulations on all those important and impressive healing milestones. I am really enjoying following your blog

all the best to you,

Maria

I’m a big fan of chopping my salad too, although I have never even heard of coconut vinegar! I’ll give it a try :)

You look fabulous Carrie! Congratulations on all you’ve accomplished!

Peace&love

7. Patty says

Beautiful salad and beautiful lady!! :)

Great job, Carrie, on another wonderful salad idea! I love this one. It looks so delicious. It’s nice to have different ideas for our salads. It does get old eating the same texture, sometimes. I like the idea of this style of chopping just to change things up. Thank you for all of these wonderful ideas and recipes. I’m going to make this one this week! I have a feeling my husband will be happy to see a new salad style. :)

You look great Carrie! I’m so glad to hear that you are feeling so well, and that you are healing more and more each day.

Thanks so much for the note, Patty! My husband also likes this chopped salad; it’s so much easier to eat because there’s a lot less chewing involved! :)

Never thought to put the whole shebang in the food processor! I’m digging the bite-sizedness of it all.

You look adorable, Carrie. Continued good health, and congrats on getting closer to finishing your paper :-).

9. Paula says

What a great idea for salads. It would help with the chewing, especially when using kale. This week I made salad with some purple flowering kale and shredded carrots. Just added a bit of dressing and it was yummy, but next time I am going to use the processor.

Hi Carrie!
    How did you know I was looking for a good micro chopped salad mix? I need to get my greens up and knew this would be a good way. Thanks for the two options.
    And congratulations on your milestone. Awesome!
    Jodi

I try to eat a salad a day as well, so I’m drawn to new ways of preparing them! This is such a cool idea. I tried this the other day with broccoli and cauliflower, to make it more of a couscous texture, but I like the idea of using actual greens and celery too. I’ll have to peruse your dressings, as it looks like you post some yummy ones on Vegan Delish. :-)

Ohhhh, that’s a great idea to process the cauliflower and broccoli, I bet that turned out really well. I have made cauliflower “risotto” that way.

12. Jennifer says

I just wanted to let you know how much I love your site! After checking it out I saw that you are a thy ca survivor/patient- I am currently 6 months post op from tt and major neck dissection.I became a vegan when was diagnosed 8 months ago and I truly feel that all this healthy eating has given me a fast recovery. I have lost the pregnancy weight and have not had a cold or flu since becoming a vegan! You are an inspiration and I look forward to trying many of your recipes.

Hi Jennifer! Thanks so much for the note. I am 10 months out so we are both newbie survivors. I also felt that my healthy, vegan diet aided in my recovery, although I’ve had ups and downs with getting my energy levels back up and the right dosage of medication. Let’s keep in touch and feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk more about it! :)