Chocolate Dessert Hummus

Chocolate Dessert Hummus from Carrie on Vegan | www.carrieonvegan.com

Good morning! I hope you had a nice weekend. Since I’m in the final stages of writing my master’s of public health thesis and working very hard, I wouldn’t say that my weekend was nice, but it happened, I got a lot of work done, and I am almost finished. :)

Side note: I realize I still haven’t gone into detail about what my project is actually about, but because I’m working with an organization that might be using the research, I don’t want to give too much away. That being said, it involves vegetarian nutrition and it’s been a very interesting, challenging, and exciting experience. I hope to write more about it in the future. [Editor's note: I finished my master's degree in December of 2013. You can read about my final project on the Difference in Disease Prevalence Between Vegetarians and Non-Vegetarians here].

Dessert Hummus:

Dessert hummus overview.

Even though I try my darndest not to eat for emotional reasons (you can read all my posts about that topic here), sugar has always been my go-to during times of stress. I will say that my choices in recent years have been a lot better (i.e. no more plowing through pounds of candy), but the lure of something sweet will probably always stay with me.

I love using dates to replicate the sweetness in processed sugars, Dr. Greger did a video on the healthful properties of dates that can be seen here. As part of my efforts to make healthier choices, I am so excited to share this recipe with you for dessert hummus.

It must have been at least a year ago when somebody mentioned the concept of a sweet hummus to me and it totally blew my mind, but it’s really not all that different from making black bean brownies (get my recipe here). Let’s reminisce about those with a photo, shall we?

Black Bean Brownies

This new recipe for Dessert Hummus is so much easier to make than the brownies, though, it literally just takes minutes to combine the ingredients in a food processor. If you were really desperate, you could even mix the ingredients in a bowl and use a fork to mash it together (you would need to substitute date sugar for the whole dates, though).

For this recipe, I used cannellini beans, dates, water,  almond butter, carob powder, vanilla extract, unsweetened non-dairy milk, maca powder, and cinnamon. Here’s what the picture of what it looks like when it’s ready to be blended in the food processor (admittedly, not that pretty):

Dessert hummus ingredients.

The results are, however, in my opinion, spectacular. I served my dessert hummus with sliced apples:

Dessert hummus served with sliced apples.

Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Dessert Hummus

Author:
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups medjool dates, pitted
  • ½ cup water
  • 1½ cups canned cannellini beans
  • ½ cup almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon carob or cocoa powder
  • ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
  • 1 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Combine dates and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the dates have softened and started to break apart. Remove from heat.
  2. If your dates are very soft, then you may not need to boil them. In this case, you can simply soak them in hot water for at least 30 minutes before adding them to the food processor.
  3. Combine beans, almond butter, carob powder, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk, maca powder, and cinnamon in a food processor. Add cooked of softened dates and water. Process ingredients until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides. Serve at warm temperature or chilled.

I noted in the recipe that you can substitute adzuki beans for the cannellini beans. Adzuki beans are known to be easier to digest than many other types of beans, so I would suggest making this substitution if you are going to serve this dish to kids or people who don’t normally eat a lot of beans. You could also use 1/4 cup of almond butter and 1/4 cup of peanut butter for a really yummy variation (trust me, I tried it).

Conclusion:

Forgive me for not including any other pictures from my weekend in this post, but there just wasn’t that much excitement going on in my little office. I do have a fun outing planned tomorrow, though, and I’ll be back here on Wednesday with a brand new post.

Want more of Carrie on Vegan? Connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterest, or Instagram, and don’t forget to help keep my blog going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here.

Have a great start to your week!

Note: this post has been submitted to Wellness Weekends.

Comments

1. Oly Jacobsen says

Uhhh … that does awaken my sweet tooth, Carrie! I just have to try it … but will wait till the weekend, so I can share it with my husband! Otherwise you know where it ends up …

2. Nezumi says

I love the ingredients! Carob is so delicious but under used nowadays, it seems to me anyway. I know what will be my next desert!

That sounds great Carrie! I can relate because when I’m under stress I tend turn to something sweet as well, but I’ve been trying to stay away from dried fruit since it makes me tired..I save it for special occasions..Lately. I’ve been having either fresh fruits with nuts or frozen bananas, and berries with almond butter and shredded coconut definitely satisfies my sweet toot :)
    I also want to thank you so much for your blog.. this is the first time I post a comment, but I’ve been reading you’re blog since I read your story in Dr. Fuhrman’s blog a few months ago. You’re story is very inspirational. Congratulations on all your hard work and good luck on your thesis!

Awww, thanks for the really nice words, Esther. I’m glad I’m not alone in going after sugar when I’m under stress, and I love your idea of dressing up fresh fruit to make it a little more decadent. Take care! :)

4. Robyn :) says

I like using dates as a sugar substitute, too. This recipe calls for a lot of dates, though!! LOL I had never heard of adzuki beans until I bought some on accident (I thought they were something else). I am going to try this recipe after I buy some more dates. Or I could use date sugar of you could tell me about how much it would be.

Hi Robyn! I’m thinking this recipe could be made with about 1/3 cup of date sugar, but it might need more. You would also need more non-dairy milk for blending, maybe 1/4 cup. Let me know if you try it!

Wow – very unique recipe! I never would have thought of making a sweet hummus. Love the use of different beans other than chickpeas too!
    Yay! You’re almost done you’re thesis!

6. Patty says

Dessert Hummus sounds glorious, Carrie! I’ll give it a try soon! I just made your Peanut Butter Soft Serve, off of your Vegan Delish app, last night, and it was soooooo good! It was exactly what I was craving. After dinner, which consisted of a marinated portobello mushroom and steamed kale with cashew cream “dressing”, I really wanted something cold and “desserty”. So, I scoped out the desserts on the app and I had everything for the PB Soft Serve. It took me just a minute to whip it up and my taste buds were so happy and content. :) Doesn’t it seem like after being vegan for just a little bit, that you have most ingredients around as staples, other than your fresh produce? I love it when I want to make a recipe and I only need an item, or a few, and its the produce. Makes life so much easier.

So glad you liked the PB Soft Serve, Patty. It’s one of my favorites! And, yes, I love how easy it is to stock a healthy, plant-based kitchen. :)

7. Andrea says

Definitely going to try this. I have a.couple questions for you. 1) could I make this in the vitamix – I don’t have a food processor. 2) what is maca powder 3) are you going to put this on vegan delish 4) some website have pin it buttons (like your print it button) making it really easy to pin stuff could you do something like that so I can pin your great recipes to my food pin board. Thanks

Hi Andrea! 1. I wouldn’t make this in the Vitamix, it would be too hard to get out because it is so thick. What I would suggest doing is to use date sugar instead of regular dates and mash everything in a bowl with a fork. You could start with 1/4 cup of date sugar and see how the sweetness is. You might need more or less non-dairly milk to get the right consistency. 2. Maca powder is a super food, it’s supposed to be energizing. 3. Yes, the recipe is on Vegan Delish: Dessert Hummus. 4. Hmmmmm, I do have a “pin it” button at the bottom of each post, but I could def look into putting a pin it button closer to each photo. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Dessert Hummus! Yes please!!! YUM Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

9. Alissa says

As soon as I saw this, I was captured and knew I needed to make this as soon as I had a few minutes. It was so easy and oh so good! I did cut back on the dates, I used about a cup and think I could even do with a little less. I used peanut butter in place of almond butter because it’s what I had but I wasn’t disappointed…chocolate peanut butter goes so well together. :) Thank you for such an easy and delicious dessert!