Macadamia Nut Milk

So I was debating which recipe to share today, either my homemade macadamia nut milk or the vegan Marionberry Ice Cream Pie I made yesterday. (How many of you are screaming at me, “Pie, Pie!!!” right now?)

I feel guilty for sharing so many desserts lately, like I am tempting you with too many treats, so I’m going to share my recipe for the nut milk:

Homemade Macadamia Nut Milk recipe from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Macadamia nut milk doesn’t require straining which means it can be made in about 30 seconds in a high-speed blender like a Blendtec. The ingredients are simply mac nuts, water, vanilla extract, and dates.

Here’s the recipe:

Macadamia Nut Milk

Author:
Recipe type: Beverage
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • ½ cup organic, raw macadamia nuts (like these)
  • 3½ cups cold water
  • 4 Medjool dates, pitted
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Combine ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until smooth. Keep refrigerated in an air-tight container and use within 3 days. Stir before using.

This is a winner:

It will separate upon standing, though, so you just need to give it a little stir before serving. It will keep up to 3 days in the fridge.

I’ve been using this on everything, including a simple breakfast of fresh mango and dehydrated buckwheat groats:

Mango and dehydrated buckwheat groats topped with macadamia nut milk.

I also made Alan a dessert smoothie with it using frozen peaches and it works wonderfully in hot beverages, too.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!

Comments

How do you think the mac milk would be without the vanilla and dates? Have you tried it that way? I only ask because I’m experimenting with different nut, grain, and seed milks and prefer less sweet (if at all!).

Hi Karen! Great question. Well, I haven’t tried the mac nut milk without the dates. I think considering how delicious the nuts are, though, that it would be great without the sweetness. Please do let me know if you try it.

2. Diane says

Perfect timing! I will for sure try this out — seems so quick and simple. Just yesterday I noticed, unexpectedly, that I was out of any sort of milk except a small 1 cup box of rice milk at the very back of the pantry — which was so out of sight that it was going to be there until well past the expiration date! Well, I found that disguarded gem and was able to complete the recipe that I was working with (Fuhrman’s Pineapple Cake — YUM!), but I would have liked a milk with a little more substance. The icing, though good, was a little runny because the rice milk was so thin. I always have a wide variety of nuts on hand, so this recipe will definitely be a handy one for me.

Ha ha, that’s a great story, Diane. I’m glad to hear your cake turned out okay…phew!!! :) Yes, you should definitely try making your own nut milk, it’s soooo easy!

What a great idea this is. I’m a new vegan so discovering all this is so much fun. I had a food blog for several years but now have a vegan blog and I’m loving this!

Mmmm yummy – sounds great! I love that you don’t have to strain it.
    Ha – I still write things on actual paper. I like to physically write out my to-do lists and grocery lists, though I kinda feel like the only one ;p
    Looks like you had a great weekend =)

5. Carrie Dale says

I keep trying to make plant milks for my son and he always prefers the store bought ones (unsweetened soy and oat) — but he loved this one. Thanks!!!

6. Kerry Cloud-Pitt says

I like your scrap-of-paper, chicken-scratch meal plan! I usually don’t do food plans because I over think them and think they need to be on some perfect, spread sheet-like document. I am working on letting go of the perfection that always freezes me in my tracks and your free form meal plan was an inspiration and a reminder that I keep it simple. 😉

Thanks for sharing this macadamia nut milk recipe! I made it and have been using it in my smoothies this week. I love that you don’t have to strain it and I also love how much cheaper it is to make than almond milk!

Oh, I miss macadamia nuts! I haven’t had one in over 2 years! WIth the nut allergy in our house we certainly make changes. This looks amazing and I am living through you for the taste! YUMMMO Got it pinned and tweeted. Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays!

9. Katerina says

Hi just wondering what do you consider a serving? 1 cup? Recipe sounds great just wasn’t sure about that one thing (considering how much to buy to make it last) thanks!

• Katerina says

Wow awesome quick response!! I will probably use it over some homemade granola, or just to drink as a snack, possibly putting some in my coffee. I’ve don’t the almond milk thing but am ready to take my lifestyle one step further with making my own milks! And macadamia has best health benefits (IMO haha)