Hi there and welcome to the Virtual Vegan Potluck! Is it time for dessert yet? I hope so because I brought this Strawberry & Vanilla Bean “Nice” Cream and it’s starting to melt already!
As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog update seen here, I’m doing this special post today as part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck. This is my first time participating and I’m super excited!
Okay, so I suppose you want to know how I made my vegan ice cream, right? You do need an ice cream maker, I use the Cuisinart version that I got at my bridal shower nearly ten years ago <—-(wow, am I really that old?).
There are many ways to make a vegan ice cream base, but my favorite is using a can of coconut milk blended with with whatever sweetener and flavor you want. I also use unsweetened soy milk for the creaminess. Also, do you like that I call it “nice” cream? I think that is appropriate for a compassionate, dairy-free treat such as this one. I highly recommend serving it for Mother’s Day.
Here’s the recipe for this incredible Strawberry & Vanilla Bean version, I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1½ cups pitted Medjool dates
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator until chilled thoroughly.
- Combine coconut milk, soy milk, dates, strawberries, vanilla extract, and the seeds of the vanilla bean in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the base of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Ideally, you would freeze this an additional 1-2 hours after it’s done in the ice cream maker so it gets really firm. Then, about 30 minutes before serving, take it out of the freezer so it is then scoopable.
Enough talking, let’s eat!!!
Happy (virtual) eating and I’ll see ‘ya back here on Monday.