Healthy Vegan Eats: Pressure Cooker Split Pea & Kale Stew

Happy Wednesday to you, I’m so glad you are here reading my blog. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, but blogging is the activity in my life that brings me the most satisfaction of anything else that I do, from the creativity to the feeling of having a supportive community to the sharing of ideas. I also love that it is a constant in my life, no matter what else is going on. So, I just wanted to say thank you for being here.

I’m feeling slightly overwhelmed at the moment since I am in the beginning stages of planning my final MPH in nutrition project. I’m definitely doing something with vegetarianism and health, but analyzing research and doing serious academic work scares me, especially when it’s a new process and I feel pressure to do it well. I keep reminding myself that I don’t have to be perfect and that it’s normal to feel this way. My plan is to take it one day at a time, like anything else.

Since today is Wednesday, I’m participating in the blogging party where we post a picture of everything we ate the day before. This is not a vegan blogging event but I like showing off what a healthy, vegan eats. :)

Breakfast was a green smoothie that included collard greens and kale. I wanted it green and, baby, it was:

Now that is a green smoothie.

I added some lucuma powder which seemed to do a great job in adding a little extra sweetness to cover the taste of the greens.

I’ve been fighting my sugar cravings lately and I had a cup of Teeccino after breakfast:

Teechino

After a stint on the stair mill at the gym yesterday morning, I had a lovely salad for lunch:

Green salad with broccoli, beans and avocado.

I also had a slice of this bread:

Black rice bread from Food for Life.

I’m not being paid to say this, but I really love the products from Food for Life. They have a whole list on their website with all of the vegan offerings, check it out here. I don’t eat processed grain products very often, maybe once or twice a week, but I find that a piece of toast or a tortilla is a welcome addition to a salad or soup.

Dessert was a Fuji apple:

Fuji apple being eaten.

My beautiful friend Shoshannah came to visit me yesterday evening all the way from Amsterdam. I made her dinner in the pressure cooker starting with these ingredients inspired by The Chef & The Dietitian:

Ingredients for Split Pea Stew

I also used some dehydrated shiitake mushrooms that I rehydrated in some hot water:

Dehydrated shiitake mushrooms.

I also threw in a sweet potato (unpictured). The pressure cooker looked like this before cooking:

Split Pea Stew in the pressure cooker.

After it cooked for eight minutes, I stirred in the chopped kale and used a hand-immersion blender to get a nice texture:

Split Pea & Kale Stew in the pressure cooker.

I served it with some cashew cheese sauce and it was pretty incredible:

Split Pea & Kale Stew with Cashew Cream Sauce

Here is the recipe:

I rounded off this food-fest with some Tahini-Cherry Ice Cream. I got so excited I forgot to take a picture!

I’ll be adding the soup recipe to Vegan Delish in the next few days and that will be recipe #75! I’m also in the process of converting my recipes to the metric system so I’ll be able to make the app available worldwide. For all of the latest news on the app, make sure you like the Facebook page here or sign up for e-mail announcements here.

Until my next post on Friday, have a great day and rest of your week.

Comments

1. SusanM says

I just got a pressure and have been interested in recipes, so thanks. Hang in there with developing your MPH project!

Great eats! Oh do I ever love Food for Life food too! I try not to eat much processed grains either, but I like their gluten-free bread and the rice wraps a few times a week.
    Have you tried the millet bread? It’s pretty yumtastic =)
    I’ll have to try out your stew, it sounds great!
    Happy Wednesday Carrie =)

3. Abigail says

Hi Carrie! This looks amazing. Would you mind sharing cooking instructions for those of us without a pressure cooker?

Hi Abigail! Split peas require 20 minutes simmer time so that is the only adjustment you need to make to cook this stew on the stove. Just start by water-sauteeing the onions and then add all of the other ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Enjoy!!! :)

Hi Debbie! Yes, you could absolutely make this stew in the crock pot, just cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours until the peas are cooked through. Enjoy!!!

4. Angela says

And I’m so glad you’re here to write this blog, Carrie! Keep staying positive about your MPH project. I’m in the same position working on my MPH thesis, so believe me, you are not alone. Keep calm, carry on, and keep eating your veggies, my friend. Be well.

Everything about this post is delicious. I’ve been adding spirulina to my green smoothies to make them extra green. I love it! Your soup looks wonderful. Seriously, you can not go wrong with kale and sweet potatoes. I think it’s one of my favorite food combinations.

Is your app available for android phones? I tried to find it but came up with nothing.

Good luck on your MPH project. I have to do a similar project for my DNP program and I’m quite nervous and excited about organizing the whole thing and working independently. But I have about 2 years before that part even happens, so it’s just a constant linger of anticipation on the future horizon. I’d love to hear more about your project!

6. Helena says

Thank YOU Carrie, for writing a consistently great blog. I don’t like split pea soup at all (did you know it is a traditional Dutch dish called Snert, which translates, at least in my mind, to something like “yuck”? ) but you make even that look like a recipe I want to try :) Good luck with your MPH!

7. Alexandra says

You are seriously making me want a pressure cooker ;)
    Have you tried any gluten free breads from food for life? I just found out that I can’t have gluten anymore at all and sometimes I just want some toast with avocado.
    You will do amazing on your project don’t worry :)
    School is incredibly overwhelming but it will be fine!

8. Gira says

I made the split pea & kale soup last night, and it was great! My boyfriend and I were both surprised at how tasty it was even without adding any herbs or spices. I read Dr. Fuhrman’s book in August, and you inspire me to make healthy nutritious food at home. Thank you Carrie!