Carrot Pulp Cookies (Raw, Vegan, Gluten-free)

I was busy yesterday afternoon getting ready for a weekend trip I’m taking to Disneyland!

Our hotel has a refrigerator so that’s where I’ll be stashing all of the food I’m bringing. I also have provisions for breakfast and snacks including fruit, nuts, oats, and dairy-free milk. I also made some carrot pulp cookies:

Carrot Pulp Cookies from Carrie on Living |

Here’s the recipe:

Carrot Pulp Cookies (Raw, Vegan, Gluten-free)
Recipe type: Raw Dessert
Serves: 24 cookies
  • 2 cups carrot pulp (made from juicing carrots) or shredded carrots with the liquid strained out
  • 1 cup unsweetened, dried shredded coconut
  • 2 tablespoons flax meal
  • ½ cup raisins
  • ¼ cup currants
  • 1 cup almonds
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  1. Combine ingredients in a food processor and process until combined. Use your hands to form two dozen cookies, flattening them as much as possible without breaking apart. Dehyrate at 115 degrees for 12-15 hours, flipping once during the drying process.

Recommended for this recipe:

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance. Note: there may be some affiliate links within this post.

I seriously cannot get enough of your blog!
    Sorry if that sounds bad – but you just have so many awesome things here!
    I LOVE the top picks from last week! Awesome! Your Traveling/Planning is really great as I am going on a mini trip next week and walked away with some of your tips! Thanks! LOVING your salads! Congrats on the activism once again and the progress of your ap! Thanks terrific! Those Pulp Cookies look awesome, too!

I always pack so much food when I travel. Living in Portland has me so spoiled. It’s funny because I think my style of eating is “normal” because I’ve been doing it for so long and I find it to be effortless most of the time. I forget how SAD the food can be when I leave my little healthy vegan bubble. Lucky for us that bubble is always expanding, huh?!

Have fun at the park. Your salad looks delicious, as well as the cookies. And I always love me a good old nut butter & jelly sandwich.

My entry this week is the spirulina blueberry smoothie. I had to put it in the adorable cat mug because even though it’s tasty it looks swampy :)

Thanks, Nikki! Yeah, my vegan bubble was totally burst this weekend at Disneyland. While I was happy to see fresh fruit available at many of the snack vendors, the amount of animal products being pushed and consumed was very, very depressing. This experience has only motivated me more to try and promote change, though. Thanks for posting your recipe for Healthy Vegan Fridays, it sounds delicious!!!

3. Danielle says

Great food to get you through the weekend! I think you’re going to be the most healthy person of Disneyland. Unless the Disney characters eat their veggies;) Have a great time!

4. Jenn says

There are actually a ton of vegan option at Disneyland, most on the California Adventure Side. My two favorites are at Flo’s Cafe in Cars Land, they have a tater veggie bake, just ask for it with no cheese. My other favorite is the Paradise Garden Grill over by Goofy’s Flight School, I get the veggie and tofu skewers. There are options on both sides though, Disney actually has impressed me with their food selection.

5. Cindy says

My daughter and I go a lot to Disneyland. Here’s our favorite’s: New Orlean’s Square for gumbo. Jolly Holiday Bakery for Grilled veg and whole grain salad. Carnation Cafe for Chef’s vegan burger. Of course the pretzels and popcorn are good! Have fun.

I travel a good amount for work, and finding non-SAD food to eat on the road can be a challenge. Sometimes it’s easy – I have a trip coming up to NYC which is about as vegan/ETL-friendly a place as you can get. Sometimes it’s not so easy – I’ve found myself stranded in small airports with a very overdue flight and not one healthy item to eat.

So I always travel with food. I usually take baby carrots, sliced bell peppers, apples, bananas, raw cashews and dried fruit on planes. I’ve also packed pre-cooked chickpeas and rice in containers. If it’s a car trip that gives me a lot more flexibility and I pack more perishable items like greens, and liquids like soups and soy milk.

But wherever I’m going, I always, always make sure there’s a fridge in my hotel room!

I find healthy, vegan travel my biggest challenge, Debbie, but practice is making it much easier. Preparation is obviously the best way to handle it and the hotel fridge makes a huge difference. Have fun on your trip to NYC!!!

7. Laura (Aussie) says

Hey Carrie – I know if you are staying at Disneyworld and Disneyland and you have a reservation you can put in a dietary request and then the chef will come to your table and pretty much make you whatever you want it really is amazing we had that when we went in Feb 2011. Hope you are having a great time. xx

Oh you are so prepared – I love it =)
    I have to do that too when I travel. But it’s nice to know exactly what you are eating. Sometimes places like that have some “hidden” things in them.
    Enjoy your trip there!

Ugh, I had a similar experience last year when my family took a trip to Disney World. I had to prep all my meals ahead of time and carry them around on my back through the park. Ah, some of the joys of being a plant-based vegan 😛

Yeah, it was such a pain. I left the food in a rented locker which worked pretty well, but it was a huge effort to make the food ahead of time. I suppose it was worth it to stay healthy, though.