Vegan Berry Protein Shake & How to Find Vegan Shoes

Good morning! I hope you had a nice weekend. Mine was good, especially after I started feeling a lot better yesterday likely due to another change in my medication. I was craving a protein shake on Saturday when I really wasn’t feeling well and thought you might be interested to know about some protein supplements that I occasionally use. These are the three that I have purchased in the past and live in my pantry:

Vegan protein powders.

I ordered them all from Vitacost, you can see my personal shopping list here (plus, use this link for $10 off if you’re a new customer).

I made a simple shake with hemp seeds, water, frozen berries, frozen banana, almond butter, maqui berries, fresh baby spinach and two scoops of protein powder (I used a combo of the Sacha Inchi and the Raw Protein for this one):

Protein Shake ingredients.

I recently bought these maqui berries so I added them for a superfood punch:

Macqui berries.

Here we go:

Vegan Protein Shake ready to be blended.

All done:

Vegan Protein Shake all blended up.

This really did hit the spot:

Vegan Protein Shake from Carrie on Vegan.

Here’s an outtake:

Roxy and smoothie.

The recipe:

Although I generally don’t worry about getting enough protein, I think there are instances when the protein powders can come in handy. My criteria for selecting a supplement include that it is vegan and that it doesn’t contain too many vitamins/minerals that I don’t need. I also like using a combination of different brands from different sources so I get variety in my diet.

Once I started feeling better, I went for a hike. It felt so good to have my normal energy back and to get out in the sun and fresh air:

Take a hike!

I also got some retail therapy when I went shopping for some new shoes for some upcoming events. Did you know that vegan shoe shopping is easy and inexpensive? That’s because shoes made with non-leather materials are readily available in most discount stores. I love, love,  love the store DSW and that’s where I found these:

Vegan shoe shopping.

How to tell if the shoes are vegan? Just look for the materials list on the inside of the shoe and make sure that there are no leather products listed. This one says “all man made materials”:

Check the materials list for non-leather sources.

You can do the same for clothes and bags, just check the “ingredients.”

I do realize that these discount items are often made in countries under horrible conditions for the workers, so I do try to be conscious about over consuming and recycling whenever possible. I recently went through my closet and gathered up two giant bags of clothes that no longer fit and donated them to a local charity.

What are your tips for finding vegan shoes and clothes?

Have a great day and I’ll see you back here on Wednesday. In the meantime, you can “like” my Facebook page here and find over 70 0f my best vegan recipes on my app, Vegan Delish, here.

Comments

1. PaulB says

Carrie,

My immediate reaction on the protein supplements is too many refined vegan products and not enough whole foods. I’m guessing you have an aversion to beans or bean products. Plenty of whole food protein there. But there is a taste issue.

When you compromise on whole foods, you will always lose something and that something is not for the better. I’m not against convenience. But I use a dehydrated lentil powder in my smoothies which has all of the original fiber and nutrition. I sprout my lentils first and then dehydrate them (I eat lentil sprouts fresh regularly). Then I crush them in a mortar and pestal and add them daily. A cup of fresh lentil sprouts have seven grams of protein and 81 calories. :)

On the shoes, all I can say is I bring my wife to DSW, but swear by New Balance 811s they are vegan and sooo comfortable. But looks like they have become the 812s. hhttp://www.newbalance.com/New-Balance-812/WW812,default,pd.html?dwvar_WW812_color=Tan&start=3&q=811&cgid=40015

Dont let the bad review fool you. These are optimal walking shoes. If you are walking anywhere, these are great!!! And made here. And yeah, they are vegan too!

Hi Paul (still Mr. Angry Face),

Nice to have your comments. I definitely do the bean thing, but occasionally do a protein supplement. For whatever reason, this weekend when I wasn’t feeling well, the smoothie just sounded good as opposed to eating “real” food. I love your idea of making lentil powder at home, this is brilliant!!! Thanks for the NB shoe recommendation, I love NB and wear them for the gym. I actually just got a new pair for a trip I have coming up, the soles are made from recycled egg crates. Hope you are well and thanks again for your input.

2. Diane says

Carrie –

I think your vegan shoes are adorable – I have some myself! However, I do want to ask you how we can justify creating these petroleum based products made from chemicals that end up in our landfills for the next thousands of years. This seems to go against the healthy, organic, natural lifestyle for sure. I’d appreciate your response. Thanks, Diane

Great question, Diane! I really do appreciate your comment about finding consumer products that are made from natural materials. I have to say that I never really thought much about it but that’s just ignorance on my part. Do you have any recommendations for natural product shoes? I’d love have some resources to look into. :)

Well, leather certainly isn’t an option for most vegans. Interestingly, I heard Colleen Patrick-Goudreau do a podcast on the topic of leather once and how the leather goods industry has higher demand than the meat industry so leather isn’t just a byproduct of the meat industry. This was news to me. I was just doing a little research and came across a bunch of Tom’s shoes that are vegan and made with recycled and sustainable materials. They’re cute too!!! http://www.toms.com/womens/vegan

• Diane says

I realize that leather and veganism are not a match, but I do see a slight bit of hypocrisy here, but that’s ok. It’s the same with the fur industry as well -fake furs are filling up the land fills along with fake Christmas trees, but that’s another discussion for sure. Thanks for the link to Tom’s – they are really cute!

I hear what you’re saying, Diane, but it kind of reminds me when a nutrition professor once told a class I was in that the best protein option for humans would be human flesh (the whole class groaned at that for obvious reasons). I suppose we do the best we can to make choices that fit within our morals and sometimes there are prices to pay for that. I think recycled or sustainable materials are probably the best option and I thank you for reminding me of that.

This is such an interesting topic and I’m glad it’s come up! I’ve actually done some recent research on the topic of leather, vegan alternatives, and environmental impact for a class I’m hoping to teach on animals in fashion next year. While there are certainly major issues with petroleum-based faux-leather materials that should not be ignored, it is irresponsible to assume that leather is without devastating environmental impact. Leather tanneries have horrifying environmental and human health impacts, not to mention the well-researched land and environmental impact of raising bovine animals for their skin and flesh in the first place.

Thank you for the comment, Katie! I really appreciate your reminder of the environmental impacts of processing leather, not to mention the moral aspects. Wow, an animals in fashion class sounds absolutely fascinating (although certainly very sad and concerning) and I bet I could learn a ton from it. I think a fashionistas guide to veganism might be in order? Can you change your dissertation topic, ha ha? :)

Wow that smoothie looks great! I’ve been wanting to try a new protein powder as I always use Vega, and the Garden of Life is next on my list =)
    I don’t really like to use stuff like that generally either, but I think it’s ok for the pretty active and busy person.
    And thanks for the shoe-buying tip! I’ve been having a hard time finding some that I like and those are cute!
    I sometimes end up buying clothes from somewhere I probably shouldn’t… I can just picture the horrible sweat shops, but try to avoid it when I can. I like to try and find cute vintage clothing stores and find some “previously loved” stuff so I feel slightly less guilty ;p
    Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Gorgeous smoothie! I’ve been getting back into smoothie mode lately. The only protein powder I’ve tried is the Vega brand and I like all of the flavors. Thanks for sharing the ones that you use!

I love DSW too. Also, I’m so lucky to have a little independent shoe store just down the street from my house that only sells non-leather shoes. And I have 4 large garbage bags full of clothes sitting in the basement waiting to go to charity in the next few weeks. Cleaning out the closets feels great :)

5. Carrie says

Your smoothy looks delicious…I may need to splurge on those super berries soon. I’m not a big protein powder person, but have fallen for the Sunwarrior – raw Warrior Blend (vanilla). As an occasional pre-workout snack it hits the spot and digests well for me! (beans / bean powders sadly do not). Thanks for your posts…and just want to mention how impressively you handle some occasionally “tricky” comments here. Your kindness and open-minded outlook has not gone unnoticed!

• Monkie says

I was actually thinking the exact same thing when I read those comments :) The world needs more people who can take criticism well, confidently, kindly and without being defensive

Thank you, Monkie, I can’t tell you how good your comment made me feel. I won’t pretend that I never get defensive or sensitive to criticism (that’s something I’m working on), but when I also realize that I’m not perfect and I have a lot to learn. Xoxo.

6. Jenn says

Interesting…I always battle myself when it comes to shoes–almost-vegan shoes are cheap, but frequently use animal products as glues or binding agents. But those that are certified vegan ARE ridiculously expensive. And the ones that aren’t sold as vegan still *might*be.

Ack! I didn’t realize that even shoes made without leathers could have glues made from animal products. Darn!!! Thanks for the heads up, I just learned something. :(