Dairy-Free Saffron Cheese Sauce

Dairy-free Saffron Cheese Sauce using cashews

I’m so excited to share a new dish with you today that is so easy and delicious! My sauce has simple ingredients, yet I thought it tasted totally gourmet and elegant. Here’s what it looks like in the high-speed blender pre-blending:

Saffron Cheeze Sauce in the Vitamix.

It took less than a minute to get this sauce:

Saffron Cream Sauce.

I decided to make some steamed cauliflower and kale to go with the sauce. I was really lazy so I just piled the veggies in the steamer, cauliflower on the bottom, kale on top:

Cauliflower and Kale in the steamer.

Eight minutes of steaming and the veggies were good to go. Here’s my bowl with the cheese sauce on top:

Veggies with Saffron Cheeze Sauce.

I have never used saffron before and it added that gourmet flavor; I loved it!

Dairy-Free Saffron Cheeze Sauce
Recipe type: Sauce
Serves: 4-6
  • 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
  • ½ cup nutritional yeast
  • ¾ cup unsweetened almond or other non-dairy milk
  • ¼ cup white wine vinegar
  • ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads
  • 1 teaspoon dried garlic
  • 1 tablespoon onion flakes
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric
  • 3 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari
  1. Combine cashews, nutritional yeast, unsweetened soy milk, white wine vinegar, saffron threads, dried garlic, onion flakes, dates, turmeric, and low-sodium tamari in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
  2. Add additional vinegar or non-dairy milk if necessary to reach the desired constancy. The sauce will thicken as it sits. Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.

1. Renate says

the lentil spinach dish looks great. but i see this

1/2 tsp Aleppo red pepper flakes
    2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
    2 tsp garam masala

in the ingredient list. where do you get those things?

Hi Renate, good questions. I assume you can use just regular red pepper flakes and paprika found at any grocery store. The garam masala is an Indian spice but I have found it at natural food stores. If you can’t find it, you can leave it out or substitute a blend of cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper. Does this answer your questions?

2. Ceil Hook says

That cheese sauce sounds so good. I want to say that I enjoy your blog very much. I enjoy your recipes, and I relate to many of your food-related struggles. Thank you for sharing your experience, strength and hope with us.

3. Jan-Marie says

Carrie ~
    Another great looking recipe from you! I have saffron in my cupboard and I remember Dr. F. suggesting we use more of it. Of course, it is very expensive, but I will give these “cheese” sauce a try. I love your recipes so I’m sure this one will be a hit too!

Have a great weekend. Enjoy the sunshine in your home away from home. :-)

Wow… thank you for sharing that.
    I felt like I had a very good handle on my emotional eating habits and have been in very healthy habits since having gone vegan 3 years ago. But something happened recently that has me back on a bad track. I know it’s only temporary, but sometimes I beat myself up over more than I should and it’s nice to see a post like this as a reminder to be gentle with myself.

And your cheese sauce looks delicious!

5. Debbie says

I too am struggling during this holiday season. It has been hard for me not to slip into old indulgences. Thanks for sharing!!!

I’m glad this post helped you, Debbie! It’s hard to stay committed to healthy eating and I just wanted everyone to know that it’s something I struggle with, too.

6. Jeanne says

Hi Carrie!
    I too am struggling with this holiday temptations. Thanksgiving was easy , nothing tempted me but for some reason everything looks good for xmas.
    I was waiting for my saffron to arrive and UPS came to rescue and delivered it before lunch time. It was such an easy recipe that I made it and served it on broccoli, it is great! Both my husband and I enjoyed it. My question is, when you have a recipe that contains nuts to make a sauce, do you eliminate your nut serving for the day?
    take care,

Hi Jeanne! So glad you liked the saffron sauce, I love the idea of serving it on broccoli…yum. To answer your question about monitoring the consumption of nuts/seeds in a sauce, the answer is that I do try to estimate how much I eat and then add that to my daily tally. My general rule of thumb is to get some nuts and seeds with each meal, not too much and not too little. If I am using a sauce that contains either, then I won’t add anymore to the dish.

Carrie, I just wanted to say I made up a batch of this sauce at the beginning of the week and I love it. It’s so creamy and decadent! I’m had it with tempeh scramble, water sauteed veggies and the last few days I’ve been using up the last bit by thinning it will a little water for a really lovely salad dressing.

Thanks so much for this and so many other recipes. I would have been lost on my plant based journey without your site and you are a total inspiration!

Wow, thank you Kath!!! Your comment makes me feel so good. I’m so glad you like the Cheese Sauce, I thought it was pretty darned yummy myself. I love your idea to thin it out for a salad dressing. xoxo. :)

8. bettylion says

Where did you get that steamer? I do not own one, but cooked vegetables in 8 minutes sounds great. I like that yours has a window!

Hi Nancy! I’m away from my computer at the moment, but my fave nooch is listed under my resources page. Let me know if you can’t find it. :)

9. Norma says

I would live to try your sause but I can’t have the yeast know of anything else I could use ( I’m allergic) :/

Hi Norma! The sauce is great even without the nutritional yeast. You might want to substitute some other flavorings, though, like dried herbs or even some fresh dill or something like that. Give it a try and let me know!

10. melinda says

Hi there! I know this thread is old so maybe you won’t get this. I am trying to stear away from soy milk due to breast cancer and the conflicting info on soy. Have you tried this saffron cheese with almond milk or do you have any other suggestions? Same question on your Caeser dressing which i want to make this week too! thanks!!

Hi Melinda! I also avoid soy now, I wonder sometimes if it caused the growth of my thyroid cancer. :( Anyway, I absolutely think you could substitute almond milk for the soy milk, just make sure it is unsweetened. Take care!

11. Elisa Hernandez says

This is so great! I’ll be using your recipe for mac and “cheese” tonight :) i’m so excited!