Carob-Almond Wafers & What I Ate Yesterday

Today is What I Ate Wednesdays where I post a photo journal of everything I ate yesterday. I started off with a green smoothie using a blend of collard greens and spinach as the veggie component (this is my favorite recipe, I just substituted the watercress for the collards and spinach). As you can see, I maximize my Vitamix capacity and I usually end up with leftovers for the next day. In other words, between Alan and me, this much makes 4 good-sized smoothies:

I have found myself reducing my portion size just a little bit since I lost a little bit of weight before my surgery and my stomach size is appropriately smaller. I find this amount is enough to fuel my morning workout but not too much that I’m not hungry for lunch:

Even as we start to get cooler mornings here in California, I love a cold, refreshing smoothie for breakfast. I usually just put on an extra jacket after I drink it until I warm back up. 🙂

Lunch yesterday was a big salad with romaine, tempeh, chickpeas, jicama, onion, quinoa, tomatoes, pine nuts and some of Dr. Fuhrman’s Almond Balsamic Dressing:

For dessert, I had an Asian pear and about 3 tablespoons of almond butter:

I had a community lecture to attend last night after dinner, so I made something very simple which was just steamed kale topped with water-sauted mushrooms, onions, garlic and black beans. First, I steamed the kale:

Then, in a separate pan, I just heated up a teensy bit of water and added the onions and mushrooms:

During the last few minutes, I added the garlic, black beans and just a touch of tamari for flavor. I sprinkled some sesame seeds on top so it would look pretty:

How amazingly simple is that?!? I need to make more meals like this, it came together in 15 minutes.

For dessert, I had something special that was fresh out of the dehydrator.

I used the food processor to mix together almonds, dates, currants, water and carob:

I used these dates, by the way, they are already pitted for lazy busy people:

I then spread the mixture thinly on a piece of parchment paper set in a small baking sheet:

I put the batter on the paper onto a dehydrator tray and scored the batter into wafers:

I dehydrated these at 115 degrees for 10 hours and then flipped them, taking them off the paper, and dehydrated them for another 10 hours on the other side:

They ended up being crunchy, sweet and very waferish!

I ended up eating about 5 wafers for dessert last night:

Ideally, I think these wafers served with some fruit would be a great dessert, maybe even something I’ll consider for the holidays this year. The wafers are not overly sweet, but they definitely are an indulgence, albeit a healthy one.

Here’s my recipe:

Carob-Almond Wafers

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12 wafers
Ingredients
  • 1 cup almonds
  • 1 cup dates, pitted (you can use Medjool or Deglet Noor)
  • ¼ cup dried currants
  • ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 tablespoon carob
Instructions
  1. Combine ingredients in a food processor and process until combined but still slightly chunky. Spread batter onto a small parchment-lined baking sheet and use the back of a spoon to ensure that batter is spread as thinly as possible in order to have a wafer-like consistency.
  2. Place batter on parchment paper onto a dehydrator tray and dry at 115 degrees for 10-12 hours. Flip the wafers, removing the parchment paper, and dry for another 10-12 hours or until wafers are crisp.
  3. Alternatively, you can bake these wafers in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

Comments

1. Gina says

Carrie………I love that you used those dates for ‘busy’ people. 🙂 I use those all the time! I can’t wait to try out the recipe for the Carob-Almond Wafers. They look so easy to make, and my dehydrator needs a workout. I didn’t use it at all over the past couple of months. Be well!!! xoxo

2. Oly Jacobsen says

Hi, I don’t have a dehydrator … but I’m sure that I can make them in the oven as well, cause they look super delicious!
    Nice to see, how healthy you eat <3
    Happy Halloween! I ended up making a Pumpkin-Kale Lasagna 🙂

All looks so tasty!
    I have a dehydrator but have never used it! I can’t wait to try your recipe – looks so delicious and not too hard! The dehydrator has always scared me – time to conquer my fear I think!!!!

I was scared of the dehydrator, too, Sandy, but it’s really easy and you should definitely try using it. You can’t mess up these cookies, either. Now if only I could conquer my fear of the pressure cooker!!! 🙂

I am definitely going to try this week! No more excuses!!!! lol
        I recently bought a pressure cooker too!!!!! I have read the instructions about 3 times…. nearly time to try I think!!!

Huge success with cooking beans! I’m yet to attempt anything else in the pressure cooker too lol!
            LOVE LOVE these dehydrator crackers! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!!!
            These will now be a regular addition to my daughters lunch box!

Wow, Sandy, I’m so glad you liked the cookies!!! I love how simple the ingredients are. It is on my to-do list this fall/winter to start using the pressure cooker. I will definitely post about it on my blog and hopefully will come up with some creative recipes! 🙂

4. Laura Aussie says

WOW!! Carrie I cant wait to make these wafers they look delicious…maybe would be nice with a fresh bowl of cherries…I will have to cook mine in the oven will let you know how they go. THANK YOU!!

So many delicious things going on in this WIAW post! I think it’s perfectly okay to enjoy a smoothie even when cooler weather comes. I mean that’s what a blanket is for right??

6. bitt says

I’ve always struggled with sugar addiction too. As a kid I hoarded candy and binged on it. As an adult I hid bags of candy in my drawers and work and would binge again on them until my head would sweat from the toxins. Later even as I got rid of artificial stuff from my diet, I would still find a way to overdo it on dates and fruit. It wasn’t until I had to give those up that I realized they too had become an addiction, probably because I had bad candida and it makes you crave what feeds it. I find now I am able to eat smaller portions of fruit with more control. It didn’t help in the raw food movement that binging on fruit was encouraged. I think if you feel obsessed with any food it’s good to take a step back and examine the reasons.

Hope you are feeling better and healing fast.

I’m glad you’ve worked out some of your issues with sugar, Bitt! It is very freeing for me not to feel compelled to binge on sugar, but to enjoy the natural sweetness from fruit. Thanks for the comment. 🙂

• bee says

Bitt…I can totally relate. I started on the 811 diet and it totally caused major sugar addiction isssues. Im transitioning to dr fuhrmans diet but I still binge on dates. How do u deal with this? I also feel like im always hungry despite being full. Ugh

Hi Bee! I’ve also had a problem with eating too many dates in the past. To be honest, at one point I had to just get rid of them and not have them in the house. Now I am able to keep them around and I rarely eat them anymore, unless blended into a salad dressing or an occasional sweetened dessert.

Great job completing the Vegan MoFo! I’m not sure how you managed to keep up with posting at all given everything you have going on right now but I’m sure glad you did.

Your wafers look yummy; I still have not used our dehydrator yet so this would give me a good excuse to bust it out. And I can see TJ’s AB being a good dipper for these too and I’m always looking for a good excuse to eat almond butter!

Carrie, thank you for posting on your struggle with sugar. I think it gives many of us hope that we can overcome it too. Thank you for taking the time to write and for being so transparent!

Everything looks so good! I think I am going to try those wafers. I don’t have any carob powder handy, but I do have cocoa. I’ll try them with both! Thanks so much for sharing at last week’s Meatless Monday 🙂

Great question, Alix! I think it depends on how low the temperatures of those devices can go (some of those are limited) and how much space you will need. For little jobs like dehydrating fruit, they are probably pretty decent. I use an Excalibur brand – check out my Amazon store here: http://astore.amazon.com/caronveg-20

1. […] I alluded to some news I had regarding healthy, vegan recipes in my post on Wednesday, and the news is that the recipe app I’ve been working on for the past 6 months was submitted to Apple this week. I talked about the app in this post, but it is essentially the best of my whole food, vegan recipes in a super cool format for iPhones and iPads: […]