Vegan Cream of Brussels Sprouts Soup

Hi there and happy hump day!

I almost named this the Costco soup because I got the majority of ingredients from the refrigerated section of that store, including the giant containers of butternut squash, brussels sprouts and organic baby spinach:

Brussels sprouts soup ingredients

Other ingredients included an onion, tomato, mushrooms, seasonings, vegetable broth and a basic cream sauce of cashews blended with unsweetened non-dairy milk.

Making the soup wasn’t that hard, I started by dry-sauteeing some onions and mushrooms in my biggest pot:

Brussels sprouts soup ingredients onions

The next steps simply involve adding the ingredients in this order: tomatoes, butternut squash, spices, vegetable broth, brussels sprouts and spinach:

Brussels sprouts soup steps

Once all the ingredients are added and cooked, you end up with this:

Brussels sprouts soup ingredients simmering

I can’t imagine eating big bites of brussels sprouts (sounds so unappetizing!), so I blended the soup in batches in my high-speed blender and then stirred in my vegan cream sauce of cashews. Looks so much better, don’t you agree?

Here’s the final recipe:

Cream of Brussels Sprouts Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 10-12
  • 1 lb. button mushrooms (about 2 cups chopped)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 lbs. butternut squash, chopped
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram or dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning (I use Costco Kirkland brand)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 6 cups no-sodium or reduced-sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 lbs. brussels sprouts, sliced
  • 1 lb. fresh spinach or your choice of fresh leafy greens
  • Fresh lemon juice
  1. Place a large pot on the stove and turn on medium heat for a few minutes. Once the bottom of the pot is hot, add onions and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir onions frequently until they start to cook, about 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to stir frequently. Don't allow the onions to burn.
  2. Add chopped tomato for additional moisture and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
  3. Add spices and butternut squash to pot, topped with vegetable broth. Bring to a boil on high heat and then turn back heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Pour in sliced brussels sprouts and add additional water or broth as needed to cover. Put lid on pot (slightly ajar) and simmer for 10 minutes or until squash and sprouts are cooked through.
  5. Using a high-speed blender, batch process the soup until it is blended, being very careful not to burn yourself. Stir in Vegan Cream Sauce (see recipe below) and serve hot and with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for added flavor. Freeze or refrigerate leftovers.

The recipe for the Vegan Cream Sauce:
Vegan Cream Sauce
Serves: 8
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
  1. Combine ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until smooth. Sauce will thicken as it sits.

This soup is incredible! I don’t know if it was because I used my homemade vegetable broth as the base or what, but it was so creamy and flavorful.

I love that I was able to freeze a bunch of leftovers, too. This may be the first soup I turn to next week:

Brussels sprouts soup leftovers

Pin it for later:

Vegan Cream of Brussels Sprouts Stew recipe with a cashew cream sauce. This is a hearty recipe full of healthy vegetables and flavor.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance. Note: there may be some affiliate links within this post.

1. Arlene says

Carrie please know we are all thinking about you over here in the UK. Our thoughts and prayers are very much with you and we keep you in our hearts daily. You are so so brave and we wish you well for the next step in your journey. Without doubt your wonderfully healthy eating will speed up your recovery in a wonderful way.

Love and hugs to you from across the pond!

2. Katherine B. says

Carrie, Sending you positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery! Thank you also for your wonderful website. I have been leaning into being a vegetarian this past year and my ultimate goal is to be vegan. I don’t have an internet connection at home so just check your site once a week or so at the library, but absolutely love your recipes and photos. I don’t like to cook but you are definitely inspiring! (Found your site after getting hooked on Brooks Palmer’s Clutterbusting book and blog.) Again, sending you lots of love and best wishes!

3. Kim says

Oh wow, I want to try that. I love brussel sprouts and am trying to find a way to incorporate them in my diet aside from roasting them and this looks great! I actually think it looks good even before you blend it. I love chunky soup! But the idea of a “cream” of soup is awfully enticing… I’ve only made “cream” of broccoli and cauliflower so far, so I may try this soup both ways.
    Still thinking of you, love your positive attitude!

Beautiful soup. I love green soups! Also, you have the first surgery on a Monday morning which is great! Looks like you’re getting your freezer stocked with plenty of nourishing recovery foods 🙂

5. Gina says

Hi Carrie…the soup looks SO good and healthy! I’m going to try making my veggie soup broth in my crockpot per your suggestions and can’t wait to incorporate it into some beautiful soup like this one you just made.
    I’m sending continued hugs and prayers your way!

6. LB says

Hi Carrie,
    Vegan Mofo – Love that title!

I met you and Alan in Amelia Island in August. Sending healing energy to you and your caregivers for Monday.

Hugs from Florida

7. Laura S says

Brussels sprouts in soup? Never would have thought of that! Was the brussels sprouts flavor pronounced? (I love them so I wouldn’t mind if it was.)

Hopefully knowing what to expect has helped you mentally prepare for the surgery and daily life afterwards. Seems that you’re in pretty good spirits, all things considered. Your attitude and outlook continue to inspire so many people!!!

Best of luck to you with your surgery. What a good idea to prepare a giant batch of nutritious, easy-to-eat, beautiful soup for yourself. You will be so grateful to have it there waiting for you. I hope the surgery goes well and that your healing is speedy and complete.

9. Lilly says

Sending all the best wishes and prayers your way for a really healing experience and smooth-sailing surgery. You are going to do GREAT! I’m thinking of you all the way. You have a big fan club of nutritarian friends sending the most positive vibes your way.

Can’t wait to make your Brussels sprouts soup. It looks delish.

10. Oly Jacobsen says

You are still in our thoughts and prayers. Lots of love to you, your family and surgery team.
    Delicious soup! Looking forward to making it!

That all looks GREAT!!! I’ve tried brussel sprouts in soup before, I will have to remember that next time I make something, or try this recipe myself! Good luck with your surgery and recovery!!! Thanks for linking this up at Meatless Monday recipe hop 🙂

12. Mael Coluim says

Hope all is well with you tonight as you recuperate from your operation.

I made this soup this evening and it is soooo good! I tried it before adding the cream sauce and it was delicious. But WOW that cream sauce just made it superb! I don’t usually care for Brussel Sprouts, but I love them in this soup.

Hi Mael, thank you so much for the great message. I’m so glad you liked the soup, that makes me so happy. I am doing much better, I am home from the hospital and hope to be blogging again soon. xoxo.

13. Shanthi says

I am new to your blog and so glad i found.
    I was searching for eat to live recipes and you have a great collection here.
    I am interested to know your opinion on organic veggies and fruits.
    I want to follow eat to live plan but it really scary to buy all organic stuff since we tend to eat lot of raw veggies in this plan.
    This is particularly holding me back going for this diet, since i do not want to eat lot of raw veggies and fruits that have lot of pesticides…
    can you please advise me.

1. […] you might like include my Beet-Based Blended Soup (this one takes some work, but it is worth it), Dairy-Free Cream of Brussels Sprouts Soup (another time-consuming, but delicious one), or my EASY Tempeh & Vegetable Soup (there’s […]