Dr. Fuhrman’s Getaway: Day 1 Wrap-Up

Hello! I hope you’re liking these posts from Dr. Fuhrman’s Getaway. I love sharing this experience with you and it’s great for me to re-cap it here so I can better recall everything that I’m learning.

I must say first that my overall experience so far is one of complete and total gratitude that I am even here. It is admittedly a big investment to pay for a vacation such as this one and I have my husband Alan to thank for that. Also, being here just reminds me of how so, so grateful I am to Dr. Fuhrman for his brilliance and that I am privy to the type of information that he is putting out. At this point two years ago, I was suffering from such chronic migraines and on a road to even worse health that I don’t know where I would be now had I not discovered his program (you can read more on my background and see some of my before and after pictures here).

Monday was the first real day of the Getaway and, boy, did it start out bright and early. The beach was gorgeous early morning:

Dr. Fuhrman did a brief pep talk before leading the pack:

It was a good thing I wasn’t there to look at the view, because it took every ounce of my stamina to keep up with his pace! I actually had to slow jog to keep up with him as he trudged through the soft sand (not the hard sand, mind you). Have you ever seen a line of baby quail racing as fast as their legs can carry them to keep up with their parents? That’s what I picture our group looked like as Dr. Fuhrman strided in front of us (in this case, Dr. Fuhrman would have been the Papa Quail with no Mama Quail as Mrs. Fuhrman was not on the walk, ha ha). I think I sweat more than I have in years on this walk. At one point, I was able to (breathlessly) ask him a question about my PCOS diagnosis and he gave me some reassurance that I am doing all the right things to manage it.

After all that, I had quite the appetite for our nutritarian breakfast:

In addition to the oatmeal and fruit pictured, I also had a bowl of an apple hot dish that was incredible, made with raisins and cinnamon and topped with homemade hemp milk:

I also tried some green smoothie that last week I would have said wasn’t sweet enough, but my taste buds already seem to be adapting to less sugar in my diet.

Dr. Fuhrman gave two incredible lectures yesterday before lunch that were filled with the basics of his program and then more advanced information about how eating the right foods can fight disease better than drugs or conventional medicine. My favorite statements of the morning were that “we are created by our food choices” and that “It can’t be reinforced or repeated enough that a low body fat percentage is the goal, not a low dietary fat percentage.” So for those of you who think that Dr. Fuhrman’s program is about eating low fat, nope, that’s just not the case. The idea is to eat whole food, healthy fat sources in quantities adequate enough to maintain an ideal weight and to increase the absorption of phytonutrients.

Believe it or not, I was equally hungry for lunch. I had a huge green salad with vegetables, beans, salad dressing and pistachios (top photo) and a second plate of fruit, beans, beets, more nuts, green smoothie and a peach freeze:

At dinner, I got to sit with the lovely Vicky from Sweet & Healthy Living; she’s an incredible blogger and we had fun getting to know each other better (sorry for the dark picture, I’m so used to photographing food that I’m not very good at using the settings for people!):

Dinner was equally delicious. I’ll let the photos do the talking:

After dinner, we were then treated to about two hours of “success stories” featuring truly remarkable stories of people whose lives have been saved by following Dr. Fuhrman’s approach:

I am hoping that next year I might have the nerve to stand up and share my story. I was almost brought to tears several times by the hope and inspiration felt in that room last night. I’m not a religious person and I realize that my devotion to Dr. Fuhrman borders on fanatical, but the difference for me is science. Every one of his claims is backed by scientific evidence and, for now, those results just can’t be disputed. Amen to that!

Note: I’ve been handing out my cards like a maniac at the event, so if you are a new reader…welcome! Please explore the site and e-mail me if you have any questions (carrieonvegan @ gmail.com with no spaces).

Also, I know I promised daily blog posts this entire week, but I have decided to go easy on myself and take a day off tomorrow. No worries, I’ll catch you up on everything in my next post. After all, I am supposed to be on vacation, right? :)

Note: this post was also submitted to What I Ate Wednesdays.

Comments

I am so envious you have the opportunity to be there – but so happy for you! Since Dr. F is my nutrition icon too, I’m living vicariously through you right now.

“I’m not a religious person and I realize that my devotion to Dr. Fuhrman borders on fanatical, but the difference for me is science.” – I could’ve written that sentence myself; I can’t agree more!

If you hear him say anything interesting or innovative this week about hypothyroidism, would you make a mental note of it and let me know? :)

Hi Amber! Thanks for the comment and for being excited for me. I can’t lie; this week has been one of the most inspiring and fun things I’ve ever done. Also, I’ve had more exposure to Dr. Fuhrman than I ever dreamed possible; it is almost surreal!!! I will email you next week with what I’ve learned about autoimmune stuff.

2. Jan says

Carrie ~
    I am so envious that you are there & happy and that you are able to share in the joy & all the fun and that you are learning so much. Just the food would have been worth the ticket price… to not spend hours chopping and prepping would be so beneficial. I just kick myself that I didn’t make it happen this year. If Dr. F. announces the 2013 location, please let us know! I will be there next year, no matter what!!

Enjoy the rest of the week. Bathe in the pampering and knowledge.

Hi Jen! Rumors are that the Getaway next year will be in San Diego. It has been an incredible experience so far; I highly, highly recommend going if you can. I’ll be there!

3. Robyn :) says

This is so inspiring :)

I have a question for you. If you are sore after a workout is there anything that you do or food that helps? I do stretch, but sometimes it is not enough and I need an Aleve. If there is anything natural to help I would be interested in that.

Enjoy your blogging free day!! Did you find out about the jelly fish yet? Hopeully it was just a rumor and you will be able to go in the ocean.

Hi Robyn! Good question on the soreness after exercise. Nobody has asked that question this week; have you searched the member center in the exercise section?

4. Sheri A says

Hi Carrie! Just wanted you to know I am really enjoying seeing all your pics of the Dr. Fuhrman retreat. I love the beach pictures and the food pictures. Thank you for sharing all of this with us! Every day I look forward to seeing more of your pics!! Have fun!!!! :)

5. Oly Jacobsen says

I was laughing so much when you described the setting of your power walk :-D Thanks for showing us what we’re missing out on! What a lovely experience! Wish I was there! Understandable that you can’t write every night. Enjoy your stay and have an awesome week! <3

Hi Oly! I’m glad you enjoyed the description of the power walk; it makes me giggle every time I think back on it, all of us scurrying to keep up with him! :)

Thanks for the recap – it looks awesome! Loving all your photos.

I went on a yoga hike in SF once (where you do urban hiking and stop in some really awesome places in the city to do yoga – recommend it the next time you’re in town!) and the leader walked SO fast, I definitely had to do a slow jog to keep up. And I’m a fast walker!

I also had a question – does Dr. Fuhrman have a specific goal body fat % range? I hear such different numbers from different sources, I was interested to ask.

Hi Liz! The urban hike in SF sounds awesome, do you have a link you could send me? In regards to your question about specific body fat percentage, I need to look over my notes and I’ll see about that. I don’t know that Dr. Fuhrman has a goal on that, most likely a range. He is saying that for most people, a lean body with healthy muscle mass is likely best for disease prevention. That message has been made clear to me this week.

Thanks, Yroko! It is quite amazing the amount and different types of healthy meals that have been available this week. Today at the Getaway, we get instruction in how to make them!