Bob’s Big Boy Roquefort Dressing…Veganized

I didn’t move to California until I was 12 so I don’t have any fond childhood memories of eating at Bob’s Big Boy fast food joint, but my husband sure does. It seems as if most native Californians have stories about Bob’s this or Bob’s that; I remember someone even telling me about a college fraternity prank for stealing the mascot statue one night (I am possibly incriminating my husband here?).

So, the other night when I decided to make my own version of nut cheese after being blown away by Gena’s cashew cheese, I certainly did not intend to make veganized version of Bob’s Big Boy Roquefort Dressing, but that’s what Alan immediately declared it tasted like (with much glee, I might add).

This recipe uses the same base as the cashew cheese: nuts, lemon juice and dried herbs. I simply thinned out the cheese with some apple cider vinegar to make it a dressing. I started with walnuts and pine nuts. I then added marjoram, oregano and lemon balm, because those are the dried herbs that have very high antioxidant activity, according to Dr. Greger.

By the way, I order my dried herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs. I don’t have any special deal with them or anything, but I like that they have organic versions and seem to be a great company. I order in bulk and then satisfy my anal-retentive tendencies by putting them in glass and stainless steel containers complete with labels:

If you soaked the nuts in water for a few hours ahead of time, then you could easily make this dressing in the food processor. I used the Vitamix instead and it worked great, too. Here’s what it looks like pre-blended:

After adding the lemon juice, the mixture blended pretty easily into a perfectly fantastic nut cheese that tastes very reminiscent of a blue cheese:

You can stop here if you want and put the cheese on top of a salad or in a collard wrap:

I even served it along side my dinner last night as a topping for a baked sweet potato, steamed spinach, beans, chopped onions and chopped zucchini:

To take it to the next step for a dressing, however, you’ll need to use some apple cider vinegar to thin out the cheese a little bit. I prefer to just stir the vinegar by hand into the cheese as opposed to blending it more in the blender because it then stays a bit chunky with little bits of walnut. Personal preference.

Here’s the recipe:

Here’s what the dressing looks like on a salad:

Gosh, this new technique of making nuts into nut cheeses has opened up a whole new world of vegan possibilities for me. As I eat more and more vegetables to stay healthy, I find that the flavor, texture and satiety that comes from using a nut-based dressing or topping makes all the difference. Avocados achieve the same result for me, but hey, after two years of popping avos, I need a little variety in my life.

I really hope you enjoy this new cheese and dressing, please let me know if you like it or if you have any nut cheese faves.

On another note, I had several questions from readers about how I’m adapting my food intake to lose the few pounds I gained recently. The biggest thing I’m working on right now is still working on my emotional eating behaviors. I wish this had an easy fix, but for me it has to do with my overall emotional health. In other words, happy me = less eating for comfort. A technique I’m using is called Emotional Brain Training (EBT), I introduced it in this post.

Another resource I’ve been reading about on Dr. Fuhrman’s Member Center that people are using with great success is called Shrink Yourself. If I weren’t already immeshed in EBT and having success with it, I would look into the Shrink Yourself program.

You should note, though, that I am not a health professional and I would urge anyone to seek professional counseling if you think you have an eating or mental disorder. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but it’s very important to get the right help.

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone, and I’ll see you back here on Monday.

This is my entry for Healthy Vegan Fridays #2, click here to find out how to submit your entry!

Comments

Thanks for the comment, Vicky! Ohhhh, fermented nut cheese sounds like a cool next step for me. Any tips? In regards to the emotional eating, the program EBT is based on a book called Wired for Joy by Laurel Mellin and the Shrink Yourself program is based on a book by the same name. I think either one would be great options for working on the issue. I think it will probably be something I always have to work on, but getting help is such a fantastic first step and is making all the difference for me. Hugs to you on your journey!

Well that certainly looks easy enough. Thanks Vicky! Does the flavor taste much different than making the cheese with lemon juice? Do you know if healthy bacteria forms after letting it sit overnight?

Yes, the flavor is much different than with lemon juice…. much more authentic tasting! Yes, healthy bacteria does form after letting it sit out. I have made it both with and without using a kefir starter (Body Ecology brand) and was able to make it both ways. You can tell when it is done, because there will be lot sof air bubbles throughout the mixture (make it in a glass jar so you can see) and it will smell slightly sour. If you have trouble, I would suggest first trying to leave it out for a full 24 hours, or buying some starter. Also, once you make it you can use 1 T as a starter for subsequent baches and it shortens the fermenting time! Let me know if you try it and how it works out for you!

I can’t wait to make this and the timing is so perfect! I actually worked at Bob’s Big Boy, first as a server, then manager, for about 8 years! Since you know the desert, where I worked is now a Coco’s on E. Palm Canyon, close to Native Foods (small prayer here that it will reopen).

What makes the timing so right is that I just wrote the other day, referencing how my life and diet had changed, that when I worked there, my meal every day was 2 pieces fried chicken, french fries, a “salad” (iceburg lettuce and a tomato slice) with extre blue cheese dressing to dip the fries in. Your husband will probably know that this was called the Chicken Snack.

Sorry for the long story, but your recipe got me so excited!

Hi Debbie! Thanks for much for the comment. Are you a member of the Vegan Meet-Up group here in the desert? I’d love to meet you in person someday. Thanks for sharing your Bob’s story, you’ll have to tell me if the dressing tastes at all similar to you. I think the walnuts are what gives it a blue cheese flavor and the lemon juice gives it the zing. I was also just thinking today how different my diet is now that I eat fresh fruits and vegetables as opposed to processed animal-based products. No wonder I have more energy than I’ve ever had in my entire life! Keep up the good work and thanks again for writing. :)

2. Robyn :) says

Do you remember California Grill that was across the street from Whittier College? That was a Bob’s Big Boy and my dad, grandma, and I would go there for lunch in the summers after picking her up from her hair appointment :) I liked sitting next to the window with the air conditioning vent.

I loved their dressing, too, so I am excited to try this version sometime.

Hi Robyn! I definitely remember the Bob’s before it turned into California Grill, I think I went there once with one of our classmates and her parents. Thanks for sharing your memory. :)

the next time you guys are in Portland, you will have to drive up NW Glisan to NW 23rd Ave – on the corner there (above the spa) there is a condo with floor to ceiling windows… in the corner window is one of the original Bob’s Big Boy statues!

we learned to ferment cheese like this in class, VERY fun. and now that I have Irish moss, it is easy to make a “block” of cheese – so cool! :)

1. […] What’s in it? Warming up this plate for the fall, I’ve adjusted the meal slightly to what appeals to me now at the Farmer’s Market. Baked sweet potato, sautéed spinach or fall greens, beans (I’d make chili or barbecue beans, personally), caramelized onions, roasted beets (or pickled – yum), and Carrie’s vegan take on Bob’s Big Boy Roquefort cheese spread. […]