Eating My Way Through Portland

Hello from the Pacific Northwest! Alan and I arrived in Portland on Thursday afternoon. It was really warm and muggy but we walked around downtown for awhile before having dinner at the lovely vegan cafe, Prasad:

20120720-204209.jpg

This was my first visit here and, wow, it is good. I had a bowl with steamed kale, brown rice, dahl and applesauce that hit the spot after a long day of travel:

20120720-204452.jpg

Despite having a not-perfect night of sleep due to the city sounds that I’m not familiar with, I had plenty of energy for a day on the town on Friday.

Alan and I went back to Prasad for breakfast where I had the fruit plate with almond butter and cashew cream and a smoothie made from banana, almond milk, cacao and a few other ingredients I’m forgetting:

20120720-204601.jpg

To be honest, I thought the fruit plate would have included a lot more, well, fruit, but it was okay and the cashew cream ended up getting stirred into my smoothie for extra sweetness:

20120720-204825.jpg

I enjoyed a little walk around town after breakfast. All the rain up here sure makes for some perty flowers!

20120720-205016.jpg

We took a trip up to Pittock Mansion for some sight-seeing in the mid-morning and hit up the vegan menu at Los Gorditos Taqueria for lunch. Here are some photos of the mansion, it was neat to see:

20120720-205130.jpg

After a trip to the vegan mini-mall, I ditched Alan and met up with my friend Kristina from Spabettie for dinner at the lovely restaurant, Blossoming Lotus, which specializes in healthy, vegan food with a definite gourmet touch.

I had a green juice from the happy hour menu (unpictured), and then the collard wraps for dinner. They were filled with falafel, nut pate and veggies and were absolutely delicious!

20120720-205325.jpg

Kristina and I couldn’t resist sharing the marionberry “live” cheesecake. Kristina recently had the pleasure of doing a vegan cooking immersion with the original chef from Blossoming Lotus, and knew that the lightness and incredible texture of this dessert comes from Irish moss. Ohhhh, I really must try my hand at using this mysterious ingredient. Here’s a photo of the cheesecake:

20120720-205421.jpg

As you can see, I’m eating my way through Portland, but trying to make good choices and enjoy the decadence! So much more fun and food ahead! Hope you have a great weekend.

Comments

1. Veganwtsn says

Oh! I love Prasad! Both times I ordered their raw tostada and loved it! Each time had its own seasonal veggies but a kicking spicy sauce. I agree that your fruit plate leaves something to be desired, maybe more color?

2. Merrill R. says

I’m so jealous you get to spend the weekend in Portland! I’ve only been twice but I have to admit my favorite place it not a restaurant but Powell’s, the gigantic bookstore. I can literally spend hours in there! The food looks delicious too!! Have fun Carrie :)

Welcome to Portland, Carrie! Glad you’re finding our delicious healthy vegan foods. We’re really spoiled up here :)

Prasad & Blossoming Lotus are my favorite spots and now you know why! Los Gorditos is just down the street from my house. Love the vegan menu there. And yes, the rain keeps us surrounded by pretty flowers and greens.

Enjoy the rest of your visit!

and the one bite of cheesecake did NOT make it home ;)

so happy we were able to get together – a lovely meal and some great conversation. I hope you have several more great meals – look forward to hearing your thoughts on Portobello.

Cheers, talk to you soon! XO

5. Lilly says

So glad you are enjoying Portland. It’s a great city. Hope you come to Seattle someday soon. We don’t have fewer vegan restaurants, but some beautiful sights as well. Enjoy! Looking forward to your creation of the collard wraps – as I’m pretty sure you will try to find a way to recreate that great meal in your inspired way.

Thanks, Lilly! I’m going to be in Seattle in November for the Vida Vegan Tech Conference!!! And, thanks for your sweet words on my recipes, I would love to try and re-create the collard wraps.

6. Tyrene says

Everything looks so yummy, and healthy! I live in the South and can only dream through those tasty pics taken in Oregon. We need vegan restaurants down here, that for sure!… Love traveling with you Carrie. ;)

Looks like you’re having a great time in Portland. Those collard wraps look amazingly perfect. The color of those collards is fantastic! I want that cheesecake now…and if you try that irish moss, you’ll have to tell me how that works…I’ve never heard of that.

Thanks, Shelby! Irish moss is a raw food thing. I’ve never seen what it looks like and I think this was the first time I had eaten anything made with it. I’m not even sure where to buy it, but I’ll certainly blog about it when I do. :)

Loved all of your portland posts, which I just finished reading! I’m visiting Jasmin and Mariann very soon, so this is inspiration for my trip :)