Peanut Butter Satay Sauce

Remember the roasted tofu I mentioned that my friends made for their 4th of July party? I should have taken a picture of it, but it was a chicken satay recipe that was converted for use on tofu. I tried to make it at home this weekend. The tofu didn’t turn out right, but the sauce is incredible!

I started out with the tofu cubed and ready to go on the baking sheet, but it never got crunchy and firm because I used the wrong type (I used regular instead of super firm). Oh well, the sauce tasted delicious on my stir-fry vegetables and I did use the tofu, but the texture was more soft instead of crispy.

The sauce is best made in a blender and it’s not all that different from the peanut butter sauce I’ve made before for use on vegetables. The extra step of blending the ingredients makes it that much more flavorful and complex.

The sauce is really easy to make, you just combine all the ingredients in the Vitamix. The star of the sauce is the peanut butter, but the addition of vinegar and dates with a touch of spice makes it really taste like a real satay sauce (see below for recipe).

It starts like this:

Peanut Satay Sauce from Carrie on Living | #dairyfree

Seconds later, you get this:

Peanut Satay Sauce from Carrie on Living | #dairyfree

I water-sauteed a bunch of veggies:

Veggies for Peanut Satay Sauce from Carrie on Living | #dairyfree

Plus a bundle of Swiss chard:

I added some satay sauce into the mixture, and then some on top when I served the dish:

Fantastic! This tasted better (and healthier) than any satay dish I’ve had at a restaurant. Here’s the recipe:

Peanut Butter Satay Sauce
Recipe type: Sauce
Serves: 6
  • 1 cup peanut butter (I used half salted and half unsalted)
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ medium onion
  • 5 Medjool dates
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tablespoon each marjoram and lemon balm (you can substitute no-salt seasoning)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  1. Combine ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until smooth. Add more vinegar or a tablespoon or two of water if necessary to blend. Serve over vegetables or use as a marinade for baked tofu.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.

1. Robyn :) says

I have been clutter busting and it has been going really well. I took 4 bags of stuff to the thrift store yesterday! I also started going through my scrapbooking stuff and have a full bag already for the swap table at a crop I am going to in 2 weeks. I expect to have another bag by the time I am done. I normally have a hard time parting with this stuff as I think I will use it eventually, but from now on I am only going to buy stuff when I need something specifically and intend to use it that day or within a week or 2 :)

As for other parts of my life, haven’t really thought about it. Just trying to concentrate on the apartment as of now.

Hi Robyn! That’s awesome that you’re making progress with your clutter-busting, especially if you might be moving in the future. I love your idea of only buying stuff you really need, I am trying to do that, too. In fact, my credit card bills are already a lot lower since I’ve adopted this attitude.

2. Geoffrey Levens says

Maybe if you caught the tofu mistake in time and you pressed it for awhile under a flat weight to remove more water, or even did a freeze/thaw and then pressed it might get crispier?

Sauce looks great. On my short list now!

3. Geoffrey Levens says

Just made this for tomorrow and…we have a winner!!!

I did make one small change in that I used smoked chipolte powder instead of the cayanne. This is a top of the list keeper in my recipe section for sure.

Thank you!

• Geoffrey Levens says

“I love peanut butter. She likes toast and jam…”

I do love peanut butter though usually I eat whole dry roasted peanuts I can get for much less/pound. I generally don’t eat nut butters because it is too easy too just chow it down and my body requires very tight calorie control to be healthy.

Anyway, all that side track to say I used whole peanuts in the making of the sauce, just stacked them in my BlenTec along with everything else and powered it up. It as so super thick at the end that I did add couple Tbs water and it is still very thick, heck could almost spread it on toast if I did that sort of thing…

• Geoffrey Levens says

thought about texture but ended up running blender long enough it is smooth a buttah!

One note…good as it tasted, it was MUCH better after sitting overnight in the fridge. I think the different flavors got to know each other better and sort of had a party.

4. Geoffrey Levens says

Would you settle for an ice cream flavor?

Peanut Buttah

Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Crunchy Peanut Butter Sugar Bits, Peanut Butter Cookies & a Peanut Butter Cookie Core

For p.b. fans & cookie spread-heads who want it all, here’s a flavor that delivers it, from the creamy to the crunchy to the peanutty core of crushed-cookie stuff that spreads like buttah (and tastes even bettah).