Foods for Busy & Stressful Days

Good morning! I hope you had a nice end to your week. The 4th of July holiday occurring on Wednesday this year threw me off for a bit, but I’m happy it’s the weekend now.

Remember the sweet potatoes I roasted for my yet-to-be determined salad for the 4th of July party? I ended up throwing the potatoes into a coleslaw with a can of black beans. It turned out like this:

It was a combo between a coleslaw and a potato salad, but I loved it and there was hardly any left at the end of the party, so I’ll take that as a good sign. (My dressing can be found here).

My friend Janet made these adorable fruit and jicama kebobs for the party, along with an amazing peanut butter-roasted tofu that I’m going to re-create at home:

I had a bit of a stressful day yesterday because it was the day for our brokers’ open house as Alan and I attempt to sell our home on the Central Coast. The combination of making the house look nice, gathering the cats to go in the car and knowing that strangers would be in our house was stress-producing for me.

I packed some really easy wraps for Alan and me to eat in the car while we waited for the open house to finish. I simply piled on avocado, beans, some Veganaise, onions and sliced bell peppers onto a brown rice tortilla for me and a sprouted wheat tortilla for him:

For dessert, I made a version of Gena’s Raw Strawberry Vanilla Pudding. Mine is more chocolatey and substantial because I use carob powder and silken tofu.

I started with the tofu:

Thrown in my Vitamix:

I added all my other ingredients including avocado:

Dates:

Vanilla:

I had some mint on hand so I used that, too, along with a pint of fresh strawberries. Here’s the mixture pre-blended:

I LOVE this pudding!!! It turns out all creamy and delicious:

This recipe is very similar to my Blueberry-Avo Chocolate Pudding, with the addition of strawberries.

Have a great weekend, and I’ll see you back here on Monday!

Comments

Very creative with combining coleslaw and potato salad into one dish. Looks really good and sounds like it was a hit! We’ve been making Gena’s strawberry pudding this week too. We bought some goji berries awhile ago and haven’t found tons of things I like them on but they were excellent on the pudding like she recommends. Will have to give your version a try too!

Thanks, NutriWife! I used to put goji berries on top of green salads, but they aren’t all that tasty. Now I just throw a handful in my smoothies. :)

2. Susan says

Carrie, how do you keep your Vitamix container looking so good? Mine is much more stained even though I wash it immediately after every use.

Mine used to be all stained too, but I had a warranty repair and got a new one! So, I can’t claim to have any magic tricks for keeping it clean. I’ve heard there is a cleaning kit sold by the company, though.

Some great looking eats here Carrie! I love the idea of combining a coleslaw with potato salad- combining 2 picnic foods into one amazing one :)

I hope your open house went well and that you’re a little less stressed! Have a great week!

Thanks Gabby! The open house was pretty good, but no offers yet. :) I’m feeling a lot less stressed now that we have everything ready. Now it’s just a matter of finding the right buyer.

4. Jane says

Hi Carrie,
    I was curious why you added the avocado to the pudding. Would it work without or is that fat necessary– or could I omit it and add more tofu. I’m asking because I feel that soon I will be eating avocado at every meal.

BTW I just sold my home last November. Best wishes. It is taxing.
    Jane

Love that you love the pudding! And though I can’t imagine it without the avo (the fats are so essential to my delight and satiety with this recipe) I do love silken tofu puddings in their own right.

Your potato coleslaw bean salad sounds…delightful. The wheels of inspiration are spinning :)