How to Make a Tempeh Veggie Scramble

Ack! I missed posting yesterday because it was one of “those days.” The good news is that I finished my summer school class except for a few loose ends. Yay! I have a lot on my plate right now with moving and some other projects, but that’s just how it is sometimes.

I have another video blog to share with you, though. This time, I show you how I water-saute veggies to make a tempeh scramble. The ingredients look like this:

The video blog can be seen here:

Here’s a photo of the final product:

As I mentioned in the clip, I served this dish with some roasted sweet potato, but you can use rice or just eat it plain. It’s really good!

Here’s the printable recipe:

For dessert, I tried one of these…do you know what it is?

It’s called a cherimoya and I found it at the farmers’ market. When it is ripe, it feels like a ripe avocado. It looks like this on the inside:

I would describe the flavor as like a creamy pineapple, I loved it! You don’t eat the seeds, by the way. :)

Since Alan and I are planning to move from the beach back to the desert as soon as our house sells, I’ve started visiting some of my favorite spots to say goodbye. I do plan to visit, but I’m sure you agree that it’s different when you live somewhere and you visit. I will miss this spot, it’s one of my favorite in the world (note my blonder hair…I’m still working on it!):

I have a feeling I will live at the beach again someday:

Lastly, this is the last day to enter to win a signed copy of Brooks Palmer’s new book Clutter Busting Your Life. You can enter here. Brooks is so talented and drew this awesome picture for me in my copy:

I like his statement, “Thanks for being open to letting go.” It’s admittedly very, very scary to let go of things and relationships that don’t serve our lives anymore, but I can guarantee that the process will open up new doors and adventures to you that you never dreamed possible. It is happening to me!

Have a great day and I’ll see you back here this weekend.

Comments

Hi Judy! Tempeh is made from fermented soy beans and it can be found in any health food store in the refrigerated section. Trader Joes also sells tempeh.

1. Gina says

Hi Carrie…..that dish looks really hearty and yummy and I’ll definitely be making it soon. I love that you’re doing more videos! Keep up the awesome work. You rock!!!

2. Nadine says

Cool video. Do you heat the cashew sauce up after you’ve stirred it in or do you let the warm veggies heat it up?
    I make “bowls” that are similar, but I often use a can of beans as a sub for tempeh or tofu.

Hi Nadine, I don’t like to cook the cashew sauce too much, but mainly just let the hot veggies warm it up, as you suggested. Good luck! :)

I’m loving your videos that you’ve been making! How fun! I think tempeh is such an underused ingredient. I love it too but use it so much less than I should. I love a good tofu scramble but love your idea of using tempeh instead. Some bell peppers would be good in there too!

I’ve heard of cherimoyas but never have had them…they sound right up my alley though. I’ll have to look for them where I live.

Thanks for the sweet comment on my videos, Shelby! It is a whole new experience for me, but I’m enjoying the challenge. I hope they only improve from here. :)

4. Paula says

The tempeh recipe looks so good & easy to do. So many times I see recipes for temeph that are tomato based (like a sloppy joe) so it is a great change to see it made differently. Love your hair color. It looks great on you and lighting up the hair can lighten up the spirit. I have been toying with the idea of buying that de clutter book. It might just be what I need to regain my spirit.

Thanks Paula! As you know, I’m quite taken by these two de-cluttering books and by the concept overall. If you feel like you have clutter in your house or in your life in general, then I highly suggest checking out these books and going through the process. It has been life-changing for me (in a good way).

Great post – I love the video. Do you think this dish would work with seitan too? I am trying to cut down on the amount of soy products I use, and I love seitan.

It looks as if you live in a beautiful place. Are you happy to be leaving the beach? I think I love the ocean more than anything, but the desert can be beautiful too.

Thanks, Rachel! You could definitely use seitan in this scramble, that would be delicious and just as easy.

I love living at the beach, too, but one of the great things about California is that you can find the beach, mountains and desert within 2 hours of each other. So, I’m never too far from all types of natural beauty. :)