Amaranth Veggie Salad

One of you lovely readers asked me about the grain amaranth a long time ago, and I promised to try it at some point. I finally remembered to buy some in my last Vitacost order (click here for $10 off if you’re a new customer) and I’m glad I did. It’s a gluten-free grain and I had fun incorporating it into an easy salad yesterday.

I ended up cooking a half-batch or 1/2 cup for this salad and I’m glad I did, because it made a lot. The texture after cooking for 20 minutes on the stove-top was very porridge-like, I think it would be ideal for a breakfast dish:

I had a lunchtime Toastmasters meeting, so I wanted to take something portable and easy to assemble. My fridge was a little on the empty side, but I did have some extra carrots, mint and celery that I chopped up into a bowl. I also added “goodies” like dried cranberries, avocado, pumpkin seeds and chopped onion:

After I chopped the veggies, I just poured the cooked amaranth into the bowl and mixed it all together. I squeezed some fresh lime and lemon juice on top for the world’s easiest salad dressing. Then, I spooned some into my to-go container and off I went to my meeting:

I highly recommend using avocado and some type of nut or seed in this recipe, because those ingredients add richness and staying power. Here’s the recipe:

After my meeting yesterday, I decided to take a quick trip to the mall to shop for some new summer dresses. I ended up at the Gap where I tried three options:

I ended up getting the green and blue dresses, one of which was on sale (yay!). As I get closer and closer to my ideal weight, clothes shopping has become a lot more fun. I don’t necessarily think that weight and appearance should be a huge part of self-esteem, but I have found for myself that the healthier I feel, the more confident and self-assured I am. The change in outer appearance has been a side benefit of the hard work I put in to make foods that protect my health, plus focusing on staying committed to my exercise program.

It’s been a few months since I’ve been clothes-shopping and it was the first time doing so since I’ve gotten into the whole clutter-busting movement, but I felt okay about since I recently cleaned out my closet and was down to only one business casual-type dress. And, I’m starting to think about clothes for my upcoming trip to Florida where I am going to Dr. Fuhrman’s summer getaway! Just imagine: a whole week of not having to cook, yet having healthy, gourmet foods fully prepared for every meal. Even though I do love to cook, I can’t wait for a week off. :)

fyi, if you can’t make it to the event, I plan to take along my laptop and blog daily if not twice a day about my experience.

Happy Friday and see you back here on Monday!

Comments

1. carrie says

Awesome, I have some amaranth I don’t know what to do with. I’ve heard its a nice soup addition. Love the blue dress, love!

I thought this whole time I made amaranth and it came out “porridge” like, I was doing something wrong! Due to this consistency, it’s hard for me to figure out what to do with it. I have used in in veggie burgers, as it seems to help bind everything.
    I love your dress choices there…if it was me, I would’ve bought all 3, but I’m just so indecisive that’s what I end up doing. I love the Gap…one of my faves! I have an outlet store right near my house that I end up going to and good thing about there is that everything is always in season, not the out of season rejects like you usually see at outlets! Total score!

Amaranth! I haven’t tried it since I was a baker at a food co-op (ages ago) and used it in a gluten free muffin. It looks like it would make an amazing sweet porridge as well as the savory salad you made. Yum. I’m always grateful to find new gluten free options, especially the quick and easy multi-purpose grains.

Really cute summer dresses! I love knee length. And you’re so right about feeling better in clothes the healthier we get. Feeling good in my own skin has been a journey, with whole plant foods and physical activity being a staple focus. Yay for feeling good. And yay for cute summer dresses :)

I’m REALLY looking forward to your blog posts about the Dr. Fuhrman event! Eat To Live was the first book I ever read about eating a healthful plant-based whole foods diet. What a great opportunity!

4. Glenda Love says

You look great in all the dresses! Lucky you to attend Dr F’s Getaway in Florida! I was seriously thinking about it and was told (via email from his staff) that next year’s will likely be in California, so Im going to hold off until then. Amelia Island is beautiful, you will have a great time! Looking forward to your blogs about it.

5. Rebecca says

All three dresses looked lovely! I applaud you for treating yourself well. I’m really interested to hear about your experiences at Dr Fuhrman’s conference – I’m glad you are going to blog about it.

6. Linda says

Had to stop by and say WOW! you make those dresses look fabulous! I especially love the green one (and I’m not usually that fond of green, perhaps my perceptions are changing, with all this GREEN food I eat all the time now!).

Does amaranth’s taste remind you of another comparable food? I’ve thought about buying some, but with my many food intolerances, I might not be able to eat it…so it’s only worth trying if I think my kids will eat it even if I cannot. Thanks for posting; your salad looks yummy!

Thanks Linda! I’m glad you like my green dress, that was the one I wasn’t sure about. :)

I would describe the texture of amaranth as similar to that of cooked steel-cut oats, but with an even milder flavor. The benefit is that amaranth is gluten-free.

• Linda says

The green dress…oh yeah! I’ve got a silvery chain belt that would set it off perfectly. Maybe a silvery chain necklace to go with the belt…