Have you ever seen such sweet cheeks? I am loving spending time with this little one this weekend:
To celebrate Memorial Day weekend, I decided to bust out my ice cream maker (got it as a bridal shower gift 9 years ago) and make some vegan ice cream. There are many substitutes for dairy when making frozen desserts, the ones I am aware of use either full-fat coconut milk or nuts. I learned everything I know about this topic from the book called Lick It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love by Cathe Olson.
I’ve been finding frozen sweet cherries at the store more frequently lately so I decided to make a Sweet Cherry Ice Cream. I used these ingredients:
If you want to put whole cherries on top of the final product, then be sure to buy an extra bag and let them defrost in the fridge. I used the Vitamix to blend the coconut milk, dates, vanilla, cherries, carob (unpictured) and soy milk:
I then poured the base into the frozen ice cream maker and let it do its thing for 30 minutes:
Oh baby, this was good!
The little one is still too young for people food, but I have a feeling I may be making him some vegan ice cream in the future. In fact, his mama has made a special request that I pass along my cooking skills to him so he can cook for all of us one day. For now, we’ll just keep pinching his sweet little cheeks and letting the grown-ups eat all of the ice cream. Enjoy the rest of the long weekend!
- 2 10-ounce bags of frozen cherries (one frozen and one defrosted in the refrigerator)
- 1 13.5 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk (chilled in refrigerator)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons carob powder
- 1½ cups Medjool dates or about 12 pieces (or more to taste)
- 1¼ cups of unsweetened soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- Place the contents of the bag of frozen cherries, chilled coconut milk, vanilla, carob and dates in a high-speed blender and process until smooth. Taste the mixture and add more dates if necessary for sweetness.
- Pour the resulting mixture into the base of an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions for freezing.
- Serve the ice cream frozen with a scoop of the defrosted frozen cherries on top.
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!