Avocado and Sprout Sandwich & My Vacation

Someone’s been a little relaxed lately:

It’s not just Xena who is enjoying our vacation here in Palm Springs, but I’m taking a slower pace, too, and enjoying the warm weather and gorgeous scenery. The weather has been in the low 100’s which makes for lovely breakfasts on the patio:

And, although I rarely ever eat refined grains anymore, I bought some bread at the health food store to make sandwiches for lunch. I chose the Food for Life China Black Rice bread that is gluten-free:

I toasted the bread which brought out its sweet flavors. And, although there are only two slices in this picture, Alan and I each had two for a total of four slices needed to make two sandwiches. My other fixins’ included a small avocado, 1/8 lb. of sunflower sprouts, onion and a sliced red bell pepper:

It’s been so long since I had a sandwich that it felt so decadent. It sure hit the spot on a hot afternoon. I served it open-faced since the bread slices were small and the sprouts were so, for lack of a better for, spring-ey. I even ended up eating this with a knife and fork because I am strange like that:

The avocado was creamy enough that I didn’t even need Veganaise which is good because I didn’t have any. The subtle salt from the bread must have helped give it more flavor, too. I loved this lunch so much that I had it two days in a row:

For my American readers, do you have any fun Memorial Day weekend plans? My BFF from San Diego is visiting with her hubby and their cute, adorable baby. Here’s a picture from the last time I saw this little cutie:

Someone is even going to baby-sit for a bit on Sunday night while Mom and Dad go out to dinner. I’ve asked Alan to help me, but I have a feeling it’s going to be just Auntie Carrie on duty. Good thing I have 10+ years of baby-sitting experience under my belt. Should be no problem, right? Have a fantastic, safe weekend and I’ll see you back here on Monday.

P.S. Have you read my interview with Dr. Greger from NutritionFacts.org yet? It’s located HERE on the Our Hen House website and you can enter a giveaway (ends Monday!) for a full set of DVDs from Dr. Greger. This is a really valuable prize and would be a great addition to your personal, nutrition library. As of right now, there are only 27 entrants so I would ske-dattle right on over there to enter if I were you (you just have to leave a comment on the interview). Good luck!

Comments

1. Gina says

Carrie,
    Glad you’re getting some relaxation in! You seem to work so hard all the time so it’s nice to see you’re enjoying some down time. And have fun babysitting! What an adorable little one. :)

Gina

Thanks Gina! You would be proud of me, I am not working nearly as hard as I have been and I’ve been making time for yoga, meditation and overall taking good care of myself. How is everything with you?

2. Robyn :) says

I have been using avocado on my sandwiches, too, in place of Veganaisse. It makes a nice dressing :) I had bought some chia-millett bread.

My refurbished Blend-tec came today so I am going to test it out this weekend before my trip.

Have fun babysitting!!

Thanks Robyn! I was sooooo excited to read about your weight loss on FB. Can’t wait to talk to you more about it in person! I have a healthy restaurant in mind where we can get together in Palm Springs when you are here. It is called Green Palms Cafe if you want to check it out: http://www.yelp.com/biz/palm-greens-cafe-palm-springs. Other options are Native Foods or a great cafe inside a health food store.

Have fun using your Blend-Tec. If you want to “wow” your husband, try blending a frozen banana, soy milk, peanut butter and a few dates and he’ll love you forever. :)

• Robyn :) says

Wherever you want to go is fine with me :) I heard there is a Cafe Gratitude in Los Angeles so I am hoping to check that out with Bonnie or my other friend I am staying with, Kim.

I will try that recipe in the Blend-Tec. He liked the ETL Peach Freeze I made a couple weeks ago in the regular blender. He was very surprised by the size of the blend-tec! He was glad I did not pay full price for it either lol.

How can you not relax with a view like that in your backyard?!?! Seriously, I need to be there! This weekend will be my last weekend before summer school starts on Tues. :-( so I am going to try and make the best of it! Maybe a BBQ, maybe some time at the pool…sadly my pool is at a gym, very unlike the one you have there ;-)