I made a kale salad this weekend that I loved. The dressing is made with hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, dates, ginger and coconut vinegar, and it only took a few hours to marinate. I started with two bunches of kale that I washed, de-stemmed and put in a big bowl:
I then made the dressing in the high-speed blender and poured it over the kale leaves:
I used scissors to chop the leaves with the dressing (most people recommend using your hands but I personally don’t like to do it that way). The scissors help break apart the toughness of the leaves and tenderize them. I cooked a sweet potato in the oven and served it with a generous serving of the salad and that was dinner:
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 bunches curly kale, washed and destemmed
- ¾ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 Medjool dates
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root
- 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
- 1 cup coconut vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 tablespoons of water, if necessary to blend
- 8-10 scallions, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Put kale leaves in a large bowl. Make dressing by processing hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, dates, ginger, no-salt seasoning, coconut vinegar and turmeric in a high-speed blender. Add water if necessary to blend. Taste for flavor and add additional dates if you prefer.
- Pour dressing over the kale leaves and use some clean, kitchen scissors to chop the leaves. Use a large serving spoon to stir the dressing into the leaves. Marinate for at least two hours.
- Before serving, stir in chopped scallions.
My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!