Dairy-Free Cheezy Kale Salad

I made a kale salad this weekend that I loved. The dressing is made with hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, dates, ginger and coconut vinegar, and it only took a few hours to marinate. I started with two bunches of kale that I washed, de-stemmed and put in a big bowl:

Dairy-Free Cheezy Kale Salad from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

I then made the dressing in the high-speed blender and poured it over the kale leaves:

Dairy-Free Cheezy Kale Salad from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

I used scissors to chop the leaves with the dressing (most people recommend using your hands but I personally don’t like to do it that way). The scissors help break apart the toughness of the leaves and tenderize them. I cooked a sweet potato in the oven and served it with a generous serving of the salad and that was dinner:

Dairy-Free Cheezy Kale Salad from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Here’s the recipe:

Dairy-Free Cheezy Kale Salad
Recipe type: Main Dish, Salad
Serves: 4
  • 2 bunches curly kale, washed and destemmed
  • ¾ cup hemp seeds
  • ½ cup nutritional yeast
  • ¼ cup onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 4-6 Medjool dates
  • 1 1-inch piece of ginger root
  • 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
  • 1 cup coconut vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2-3 tablespoons of water, if necessary to blend
  • 8-10 scallions, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  1. Put kale leaves in a large bowl. Make dressing by processing hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, dates, ginger, no-salt seasoning, coconut vinegar and turmeric in a high-speed blender. Add water if necessary to blend. Taste for flavor and add additional dates if you prefer.
  2. Pour dressing over the kale leaves and use some clean, kitchen scissors to chop the leaves. Use a large serving spoon to stir the dressing into the leaves. Marinate for at least two hours.
  3. Before serving, stir in chopped scallions.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!

1. Glenda says

Good on you for taking the weekend off blogging. My daughter has a writer’s blog and she had to take Sat and Sun off from blogging and it’s made a huge difference for her. I have to say I found myself looking for the email and missing the blog, but now that I know why, I’m glad you had the rest….

Thanks for the support, Glenda. I’m thinking I might evolve my blogging schedule to be every day during the week but take the weekends off. I love blogging but it’s nice to have a few days off. :)

2. Angela says

I think taking a rest day (or two) a week would be a healthy habit. Don’t want to burn yourself out and it’s not the quantity of your posts that matter, but the quality 😉
    I earned my undergraduate degree in neuroscience, so I certainly agree that the brain is a complex, but amazing thing. Meditation and yoga are great ways to help let go of thoughts that are cluttering your mind…I definitely need to do this more often. Thanks for another great post and recipe, Carrie!

• Angela says

I actually double majored and earned my B.S. in Neuroscience and Biology. I did my undergrad thesis on oligodendrocytes -very cool. Now I’m in grad school earning my Master in Public Health :)
        Thanks for asking…

Hmmmm, oligodendrocytes…had to look that one up. Well, geez, you sure should picked an easy topic for your thesis. Ha! I didn’t realize you’re also getting an MPH…what is your area of focus?

• Angela says

Yeah, I didn’t really get to pick that topic. There was an opening in a lab and the professor was studying oligodendrocytes, so I did too! Heh.
            My MPH program doesn’t have areas of focus; however, I am taking a food policy class next semester and I’m planning on concentrating on food insecurity for my Master’s thesis. I’ve been inspired by the organization A Well Fed World and I hope to look at food insecurity from the perspective of using plant-based diets to combat hunger (you can feed a lot more people with plants!) and chronic disease in poor populations. That’s the plan anyways, we’ll see where God brings me in this chapter of my life. Thanks for your interest!

Hey Angela! I have heard of this organization, wasn’t someone from that program interviewed on the Our Hen House podcast in recent months? I LOVE your plan, it makes so much sense to address food insecurity with a plant-based diet. I’m picking a topic for my thesis right now, but I’m leaning toward social media since I have a background in marketing. I’m interested in inspiring people to cook more at home and increasing fruit/vegetable intake. I’d like to look more at how to get more people to consider plant-based diets, but the problem is that there isn’t much research on that topic. You have made me think about it a little bit more though so I’ll keep you updated on which direction I go. :)

• Angela says

Yes, I believe so Carrie! Leave it to the Our Hen House ladies to interview an awesome organizations like A Well Fed World. Their podcasts are phenomenal 😉

I believe I might have some ideas/literature for your potential thesis topic on social media. We can continue this conversation via email. I’ll be in touch soon. Take care.

Thanks Angela! I would love to see any references on the topic of social media. I’ve done a fair amount of research on PubMed, but you know how that goes, it can be overwhelming and I often don’t find exactly what I’m looking for.

3. Diane says

I bought a whole bag of kale at the grocery store but it is so tough and the taste is horrible. Are there different kinds of kale or something? I’ve been throwing it in my smoothies because its the only way I can handle it. Even then I can still taste it over my berries in my smoothie. It just seems to be what I would consider the equivalent of eating a leaf off a tree in my front yard. Maybe it’s just me.

Hi Diane! Yes, there are definitely different types of kale, although overall kale does have a thick texture. Most people massage it with a dressing to make it more tender when eaten raw, or steam it gently to eat it cooked. My husband dislikes it, too, so I most often put it in smoothies. The lacinato or Dino kale variety is less bitter an the curly variety is ideal for kale chips.