20-Ingredient Antioxidant Soup

Are you ready to clean out your fridge? I made this 20-Ingredient Antioxidant Soup a few days ago when I found myself needing to clean out the excess of produce taking over my kitchen. Sometimes I go a little overboard at the farmers’ market and buy too many vegetables, so this is an excellent way to put them to good use.

This soup is an off-shoot of my Health-Promoting Soup that was originally inspired by Dr. Fuhrman’s Anti-Cancer Soup. You definitely don’t need to follow my recipe exactly, I would encourage you to improvise and utilize what vegetables you have. The most important parts of this recipe in my opinion for flavor are using some yam or sweet potato and using fresh vegetable juice blended with nuts for creaminess.

I started by making some fresh vegetable juice for the base using carrots, cucumber, kale, parsley and bell peppers:

I poured the juice in my Vitamix container and added some sunflower seeds and cashews. I set it aside until I was ready to blend it into a cream sauce:

Then, I heated up some water in a large pot and started water-sauteeing my vegetables. Here, you can see I used onions, celery and tomatoes:

My next step was to add two sliced yams, mushrooms, garlic and spices:

After a few minutes, that’s when I started really going crazy with the produce. I added these four ingredients:

I probably could have kept going, but I really wasn’t sure how all of these would taste together. I let the pot simmer for about 10 minutes and then added my cream sauce which was the vegetable juice blended with the nuts:

The last and final step was to batch-blend the soup in the Vitamix to make it all pureed. What resulted was pure antioxidant perfection. I topped the soup with some chopped onion, cilantro and sesame seeds (I didn’t even count these as soup ingredients which would have brought my total number of ingredients to 23!) and it looked like this:

Don’t even ask me how this tastes so good, but it does. Plus, with all of those vegetables, we are talking about a major antioxidant punch.

Here’s the recipe:

Yesterday, I saw some friends I hadn’t seen in awhile and we checked out a vegan restaurant we had never been to before. As you can see from the photos, we had quite a feast. I had the “Peace Plate” (pictured top right) with an eggplant dish, salad, rice, mint chutney and vegetable curry. Alan had a monster burrito with rice and a salad.

Today is another busy day because I’m traveling to Santa Barbara for some appointments. I made our lunch to eat on the road so we have plenty of time for a walk at the beach and maybe even some shopping. Have a great day!

Comments

Oh wow that looks good Carrie! I love to puree soups, I think it brings on a much different (but pleasant) taste.

One day I’m going to have to come up there for a visit and eat at the yummy restaurants you have nearby!! xo

Thanks Ginny! You are always welcome to visit, of course!!! :) I am going to e-mail you, by the way, I think I will be in Temecula in June and would love to see you again.

What a great looking soup with such a healthy kick, Carrie! I do the same thing…I buy so much produce and when I look in the fridge I always wonder how in the world I will use it all. I use it in the same way by throwing whatever I can into a soup, veggie sauté (mess!) but it all tastes great! Fresh veggies are so great in all different combos! I like how you used a veggie “juice” as your base, I will definitely have to try soon.

3. Robin says

My fiance is allergic to pistachios, pine nuts, and cashews! Therefore, he is afraid of ALL nuts; even the ones we KNOW he is NOT allergic to. Sometimes he gets so worked up he thinks he is having an allergic reaction that is just anxiety over it! I don’t keep any of the above nuts in the house because I don’t want him to accidentally eat leftovers that have nuts or kiss me after I’ve had nuts. It really stinks that I can’t have cashews though. They are my favorite nut and in soooooooo many vegan recipes. What do you recommend that I use instead? The only nuts I know are safe are walnuts, pecans, almonds, and brazil nuts. Unfortunately, I am uncomfortable introducing any other nuts b/c we just went to the hospital a month ago for the new pistachio allergy. Luckily, it was at a restaurant and NOT from my cooking! haha! Do you think brazil nuts would be best?

Hi Robin! Oh my goodness, how scary for both of you. BUT, there is hope. I think for a creamy texture, brazil nuts are awesome. However, I wouldn’t go overboard with them because they are rich in selenium and you don’t want too much of that. The other nuts you mentioned are great, too. Can he do seeds? I have found that hemp seeds make a creamy texture as well as sunflower seeds. I am not that familiar with testing nut allergies and the allergens present in each one so I think you are wise not to introduce anything new unless under the advice and care of a physician. Hospital visits are no fun!!!

4. Robin says

You have 1/2 of cashews listed in the recipe above. Should I use a 1/2 cup of brazil nuts also? I’ve read a lot about selenium and heard mixed reviews. Some say it is bad b/c of the selenium and others think it’s awesome to eat 1 brazil nut everyday with greens. What do you think overboard is?

I never thought of seeds being an alternative for the creamy textures! That is a great idea also! So far there are NO known seed allergies. I’ve used sesame, sunflower, and flaxseed in recipes that he’s eaten so I know those are safe.

Oddly, he is super sensitive to red onion in the air! He can’t eat red onion raw but cooked is okay! He could be in a complete different room and walk into the kitchen to ask if I am cutting onions. His eyes are already red and streaming. This is worse since his last nut episode. But I’ve been cutting onions in my bathroom or outside in the summer to avoid that one!

Hi Robin! You could definitely substitute brazil nuts for the cashews in this recipe. The advice I’ve heard on the quantity of brazil nuts to use in a week is about 7, or 1 per day. That was what Dr. Fuhrman said at the Getaway this summer when someone else asked him about the selenium issue. I’m so happy that your fiance can eat seeds, that will certainly make your life easier. That’s also really interesting about the raw onion. He’s lucky to have someone like you who is so careful about his allergies!