Broccoli Sprout Smoothie & Microwaved Blackberries

Two weeks ago, I wrote about growing broccoli sprouts at home here, and how Dr. Michael Greger claims they are the “biggest nutritional bang for your buck.” The element that is in broccoli sprouts that has been identified to be so healthful is called sulforaphane. A quick search on PubMed found all kinds of published studies on how this compound is being studied in cancer research. For all of these reasons, I am now growing a fairly constant supply of broccoli sprouts in my kitchen.

Harvest day is always exciting!

Most people put sprouts on a sandwich or a salad, but I’ve been putting them in a “dessert” green smoothie. The fruit covers most of the spicy flavor of the sprouts. Also, since it’s advised to rinse sprouts thoroughly before eating them, this way I don’t have to worry about drying them before I eat them. I just rinse and plop them into the blender. The resulting smoothie isn’t even green in color:

Thanks for your concern about my cat, Roxy, and her dental procedure on Tuesday. She’s doing much better this morning after a good night’s sleep. My other cat, Xena, was upset by the change in Roxy’s behavior, too. She sulked most of yesterday until Alan brought home a box from Costco that she could explore:

Alan was so excited because he found organic blackberries and raspberries at Costco, yesterday. I should say he got a little over-excited, because he brought home six 3-pound bags! I don’t know how I found room in my freezer for nearly 20 pounds of frozen fruit, but I did. After dinner last night, we busted open the stash and had microwaved blackberries for dessert. This surprisingly simple dessert is one of my favorites.

I also love eating blueberries this way, just put your frozen fruit in a bowl and microwave for about a minute or so.

We had two bowls each. I’m not a calorie-counter, but I noted that one cup of blackberries had 60 calories and 8 grams of fiber. Woo-hoo!

I don’t have anything exciting planned today, so I’ll be back here on Saturday this weekend with a new post. Have a happy, healthy rest of your week.

Comments

1. Loraine says

Wow, sprouts in a smoothie! That’s amazing. Do you have to rinse even the ones you grow in your own kitchen? Why is that?

Hi Loraine, it’s recommended to rinse sprouts because there could be some mildew growth over the 3+ days that the sprouts are growing on the counter. So, I take the added precaution of rinsing them well.

2. Paul says

the best protection against pathogens is a separate hydrogen peroxide (3%) and vinegar rinse. Note, these are separate sprays. There is no better defense against pathogens and food poisoning. The ingredients are cheap and rinseable. The academic basis for this can be found here. http://ever77.myweb.uga.edu/Publications/DisinfestantSprays1997.pdf

If you want a more plain english version, goole Susan Sumner vinegar peroxide and something will come back. I don’t just use this for sprouts. I use this for everything.. cutting boards, knives bowls, glasses, eating utensils. Once you have had food poisoning, you don’t soon forget it. This is an easy and cheap way to deal! Thank you Susan!!!

Paul

Seriously, you spray your sprouts with this? I was taught in Biochem that hydrogen peroxide is toxic when ingested. Did you see Dr. F’s comment in his member center yesterday about me being “paranoid” for cooking frozen green veggies according to the manufacturers’ directions?

• Paul says

yes, I spray everything with this. I don’t ingest it or the vinegar I didn’t see Dr. F’s comment. But paranoid seems a little strong. Seriously the vinegar and peroxide rinses off and clean. Would you rather use bleach or face salmonella? This seems like a noninvasive alternative. Peroxide is a skin disinfectant, I have no problem with using it for reducing my risk of pathogen exposure. We spray substances we don’t ingest every day. I guess it’s at each person’s own comfort level.

Paul

• Paul says

Just read Joel’s comments. Yeah a little abrupt. As he was with my wife’s lupus. Bedside manor and all that. But, risk cannot be eliminated. It can only be managed. So, if I cook my food, I might kill nutrients which increases risks that the raw food could address. If I don’t cook it, I might be at risk of pathogens. Tradeoffs. Not all tradeoffs are created equal. for fresh produce, don’t cook unless part of a recipe. Vinegar & peroxide. Nothing better!

Paul

• Paul says

In case I didn’t make that clear… I rinse in tepid water thoroughly after the spray…. just like you would do with any disinfectant.

So you spray it on and then rinse it off? That sounds reasonable to me. Are there foods that you feel are at more risk than others for food poisoning?

• Paul says

see Greger. alfalfa sprouts (see greger), spinach. I don’t take the risk though. fwiw, I just give Joel what fer after you called that to my attention. he does not intimidate me. he was out of line. And he should know it and own it. I’m going to send him 10,000 tons of chubra COD!!! lol

3. Robyn :) says

Cats are so funny. Wonder what the attraction with boxes is?

What is maca powder? I am sure I can find it, but am curious as to what it is.