My Savory Breakfast & “Greenish” Strawberry-Banana Smoothie

Good morning! I was sad to miss posting yesterday, but I’m getting closer to the end of the semester (yay!) and I had to work on some projects yesterday. However, I did make good on my promise to try a savory breakfast this week. Sure, I’ve had tofu scrambles and those types of dishes for breakfast in the past, but a regular vegetable-based dish? Nope.

I gotta admit that I wasn’t exactly craving vegetables yesterday morning. In fact, nothing sounded better than a refreshing, green smoothie. Once I tasted this dish, though, I was hooked. It was hot, creamy and satisfying AND did just fine fueling me through a morning workout. I started with about three baby bok choy that I water-sauteed in a pan:

Next, I added some cooked sweet potato (hey, it’s breakfast, I gotta have it sweet):

After that had warmed through, I added about 1/4 cup of chickpeas and about 1/3 cup of cooked rice:

I topped the whole thing with a green sauce I made from hemp seeds, parsley, two dates, lime juice, garlic and vinegar (I will post this recipe soon, but I want to test it one more time). I wouldn’t have enjoyed this breakfast had it not been for the creamy hemp dressing, that made it vibrant and satisfying:

I was pleasantly surprised that this amount of food filled me up and held me over just fine through my morning workout and activities:

The biggest change is taking the time to actually “cook” breakfast when I’m so used to throwing ingredients in the blender for my green smoothie. I made sure I had everything prepped ahead of time including washing the bok choy and pre-cooking the potato, beans and rice, as well as preparing the dressing. All in all, I think it is reasonable to make one savory breakfast a week, but I don’t think it is going to become a habit for me.

Even though I’ve taken a few days off from my green breakfast smoothie (you can read my post about it here), I’ve been experimenting a little with a smoothie I make to go along with lunch. I call it dessert because it is fruit-intensive with just a little bit of green. This one uses fresh strawberries since they are starting to come in season here in California. The ingredients pile easily in the Vitamix:

Even without sweeteners, the resulting mixture is thick and just barely, barely sweet enough for me:

I can’t taste the spinach at all (even though it’s green in color!), but my tastebuds are still adjusting to the natural sugars in fruit. I ended up blending in a couple of dates to the mixture for my husband’s serving.

I don’t have any other silly pictures to share with you today, I’ve been a workaholic this week trying to get through my to-do list. I’ve eaten out of my freezer for the past five nights for dinner and I’m finally coming up for air this afternoon to make a new batch of bean and vegetable blended soup. Plus, I have a few other recipes calling my name for today and this weekend. The weather looks to be beautiful so I am making time to go to the farmers’ market tomorrow along with a trip to the beach and a community yoga class on Sunday. I will also be blogging on Saturday or Sunday. Have a great Friday!

Comments

That looks awesome – and for some reason, a savory rice breakfast bowl freaks me out less than a savory oatmeal bowl. I’ve been all about the salty lately, but it’s hard for me to branch out from eggs and sauteed veggies!

2. Robyn :) says

I am looking forward to the recipe for the breakfast :) The smoothie looks good. I bought a smoothie book from a company that sells to us at work every couple months that has 84 recipes in it so I have lots of choices! I also went shopping at the Commissary today and bought a bunch of fruit and veggies to start the Eat To Live Program. I will be relying a lot on the recipes I have saved from you as well :)

I’m so excited for you Robyn. Just remember, it might take a few weeks before you start to feel amazing. In other words, you might not feel so great while you are adjusting. Does your doctor know what you are doing? Is there anyway you can join the member center on Dr. Fuhrman’s website where you could get additional support?

• Robyn :) says

Well, the doctor said I need to lose weight anyway so I think he would be in support of this lol. I am thinking about joining the member center on the ETL website. I am going to try to apply the same thinking I did when I gave up caffeine — it felt horrible, but I reminded myself that if I went back I would have to go through it once again!!

Hi Robyn! That is a great attitude, just think of it as a journey and that you are moving toward a healthier place. I enjoy the process of making adjustments and improvements as I learn more and figure out what works best for me. Reducing my intakes of sugar and caffeine were the hardest changes I’ve had to make. I’m 100% caffeine-free now, but still working on the sugar issue. I would highly, highly recommend joining the member center because you have access to tons of information at the time when you need the support the most. There is a search function that I use all the time to find answers to questions. It is also suggested that you start an “accountability” thread where you note your progress. Don’t be surprised if you have people cheering you on and helping you. It is really great!

3. Judy says

Carrie – I’m new to the “don’t-eat-fast-food-3-times-a-day” world and am excited that I’ve joined the “ETL” world (wow…that’s a mouthfull). Your site has inspired me to believe that I can live without fast food, and that vegan/plant based eating is for me. After all that…your breakfast looks delish, and could you please tell me how you cooked the sweet potatoes, and how you stored them after they were cooked? Thank-you.

Hi Judy! Congrats on your transition to ETL!!! I bake my sweet potatoes or yams whole in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour (flipping once). Prior to putting them in the oven, I scrub them well and pierce them all around with a fork. I try to buy organic versions so I can eat the whole potato, skin and all. I usually bake 3-4 at a time and then just put them in the fridge. I re-heat them for a few minutes in the microwave and serve them on salads or with veggies. Yum!

You too, Gina! I found out that the community yoga class is cancelled on Sunday due to the holiday, but hopefully I can get back to it soon. I did the “crow pose” for the first time today so my arm strength is definitely improving. How is your yoga practice going?

Sometimes I just have leftovers for breakfast…. no prep needed :) but most of the time I make extra chickpeas/beans/lentils/roast veg and stick them in the freezer so all I have to do is pull them out the night before or leave aside some from dinner and I’m good to go.
    But on the mornings I can’t be bothered I just have fruit and stick some veg and seeds in a bag for when I get hungry.
    Keep going with the low sweetness smoothies- you’ll adjust, it just takes a little time :)