“Just Greens” Creamy Stir-Fry & My Road Trip

Good morning! I made it safely home on Sunday to where I live on the central coast of California. It was a long day as I made the 300+ mile drive with my husband and two cats in tow. It was a smooth trip though, thankfully. I made an easy lunch to eat on the road, it consisted of wild rice topped with microwaved broccoli, avocado, dried cranberries, toasted sunflower seeds and chickpeas and a bit of vinegar splashed on top. It was quite the hodgepodge meal, but it did the trick!

After a month in the desert, I was so happy when I saw the ocean again. This was taken somewhere between Ventura and Santa Barbara:

I stopped on the way home at one of my favorite farm stands, The Classic Organic,where I picked up a bunch of greens that I later transformed into dinner.

I didn’t have a lot of ingredients, so I made the greens the star. I stirred in a batch of cashew cream sauce and it was a mighty tasty dinner. Washing and blotting dry the greens is the most labor-intensive part. I used two bunches of kale:

And two bunches of collard greens (I tore the leaves off the stems from both types of greens):

I water-sauteed a chopped onion and addd spices to start (you should also add the tomatoes at this point. I forgot about them and added them  later):

Then I just started piling on the greens until they were wilted. I put the collard greens in first because they are tougher than the kale:

Next, the kale:

The greens shrink so much:

I made the cream sauce in my Vitamix with cashews, soy milk and vinegar:

Rather than spoon the sauce on top at the table, I just poured the entirety on top of the greens in the wok:

Talk about healthy AND delicious…I loved this! It could be served over rice or a roasted sweet potato or just eaten as is. I topped mine with sesame seeds and chopped green onion:

Here’s the printable recipe:

I’m starting to think my hair needs its own blog. I tried washing and styling it myself after getting it cut last Thursday, and freaked out because it did NOT look like how my stylist did it all pretty (you can see a photo here). So, I had to make an emergency appointment at the salon on Saturday morning where I got a 45-minute lesson in how to style short hair. So much for low-maintence. <sigh.>

It looked pretty cute after she did it again, though:

Now it is up to me to figure out how to manage this mop. If you want day to day updates on my hair, don’t forget to follow me on Twitter here. I’m joking. Kinda. I also Tweet other important news like about my cats and so forth, ha ha. See you tomorrow!

Comments

1. Cathy says

That looks delicious. Am wondering which model vitamix you have. I’m considering purchasing one. I’m also finding I’m eating way too many nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios) as a snack. What is your go to easy snack. I work at home and find myself wondering thru the kitchen too often.

Thanks
    Cathy

Hi Cathy! I think my version of Vitamix is the 5200? I try not to snack so I am only eating 3 times a day. Giving up my afternoon snack was hard but it helped with my weight management and increased my appetite for dinner (I had to start eating a little bit earlier). Working from home makes it tempting to grab food but I adjusted my habits pretty easily over several weeks and now I’m not even tempted to snack.

2. Gina says

I agree with Tara. Your hair looks just beautiful on you. :)
    And I agree…those hairstylists always do a great job of making it look cute and then you get home and have to figure out how the heck they did that. But you have good hair. I can tell. I, on the other hand have crazy hair that goes all over the place! You just keep practicing and you’ll get the feel of how to work with your new style. It fits you really well!

Thanks Gina! Don’t let the pictures fool you, my hair is CRA-AZY!!! I literally can mold it into a mohawk. I just went out and bought some styling products today to help with the process. :)

3. Robyn :) says

Updates on cats are very important, lol.

I am going to try to visit that farm market either on the way to or back from San Luis Obisbo this summer.

4. shoshannah says

Your hair looks SO adorable! I wish I could pull off something that cute! btw you should totally wear it as a mohawk sometimes. Jealous…
    I love to see you eating all this kale and collard greens, previous veggie hater! :)
    love and kisses! xox

5. Laura S. says

Thanks to you I read ETL this past weekend! I don’t think I would have ever picked it up if it hadn’t been for your advocacy, because it doesn’t tout itself as a vegan book, even though it kinda is. Although there was a lot of technical medical stuff in there (which honestly makes me glaze over and I had to skip over some parts!), of course it all makes sense and I am going to renew my commitment to whole foods. Even though I’ve been vegan for 4 years, I realize I wasn’t doing it completely right. Not to say that I don’t love fruits and veggies, but I still hadn’t cut out enough grains/breads, oils and I also haven’t been vigilant enough about avoiding packaged foods or anything that has “enriched” or white flour in it. And then there’s sweets of course, which I notice has been a hot topic on your blog this week! Congratulations on cutting out sweetners!! On other vegan blogs I’ve seen cookie and dessert recipes that use gobs and gobs of maple syrup, agave or Sucanat while being touted as “healthy!” All along I’ve thought, they still contain a TON of sugar, how can they be healthy?? So when I read the book, his plan and explanations made a whole lot more sense. Feed yourself true nutrients and your body will reward you with true health! I am hoping I will see and feel a difference with this renewed commitment.

One question though (and sorry for the long comment!)…he says you can eat unlimited raw and cooked veggies, but he does not recommend snacking. So if you get hungry way before mealtime, does that mean you did not previously eat a big enough meal, or are you allowed to have raw veggies or a salad as a snack in between meals? I am going to look at his website to see if I can find anything on this topic but I thought I would ask you as well to get your advice.

P.S. Cute hair! Short hair is soooo easy once you get used to it. Have fun with it!!

Hi Laura! Thanks for the message!!! I am soooo happy that you read ETL and got some tips from it. I found it to be completely inspiring. Dr. Fuhrman’s advice about getting hungry between meals is this: if you are truly hungry, then eat a meal. But, his theory is that many people snack because they are experiencing “toxic hunger” from withdrawal from sugar or caffeine late in the day. So, ideally you would be eating enough at your mealtime so that you don’t get hungry every 2-3 hours, but can go more like 5-6 hours between eating. This also allows your body to complete its normal metabolism and not be in a constant state of digestion. Does this help?

• Laura S. says

Yes, that does help, thanks!! Yes, I remember he talks a lot about true hunger vs. toxic hunger. He defintely stresses the HUGE portions of veggies we should be eating so my problem may be that I’m still getting used to what a huge portion is, and actually might not be eating large enough meals. I don’t have a scale so I am basically guessing how much 1 lb is (unless it’s marked on the bag or my receipt of course).

Also, I tried his Blue Nut Oatmeal this morning and although it was a generous portion, I wouldn’t say it was “huge” and I was hungry about 2 hours later. And I believe it was true hunger! I will have to keep a closer check on my feelings of true vs. toxic…

Thanks again!!!!

Hi Laura, I’ve found that if I include healthy, whole-food fats from avocados, nuts and seeds with every meal, that helps a lot with satiation and staying reasonably full until the next meal.

I love this stir-fry! I am totally making this tonight! And your hair is adorable by the way. Short hair always takes a bit of getting used to, but you pull it off well! :)