How to Make Green Juice Pulp Crackers

I haven’t talked a lot about juicing on this blog. I did write about my juicer when I bought it just over a year ago here. Although I make juice about once a week or every ten days to drink as a beverage, I mainly use my juicer to make vegetable juice to use as the base for my vegetable and bean blended soups, like this beet-based version here.

I’ve also tried several times to make crackers or something from the juice pulp as opposed to throwing it away. I’m pleased to report that I finally made a cracker that tastes great! I started with my bowl of greens (kale and parsley) and fruit and vegetables (cucumber, ginger, one orange and one lime):

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

The juice was very, very green!

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

Rather than using the pulp from all of the veggies including the fruit which might have altered the flavor I was going for, I only saved the pulp from the kale and parsley to use in the crackers:

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

I then used my food processor to mix in the extra ingredients including flax meal, chia seeds, nutritional yeast, reduced sodium tamari, and water:

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

I then plopped the mixture onto a baking sheet to go into the dehydrator (you could also use your oven if it has a fan and has a minimum temperature setting close to 135 degrees at the most):

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

I used a spatula to flatten it out as much as possible and then used a knife to score the batter into cracker sizes:

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

I flipped them once after 12 hours and then another 12 hours they were crispy and ready to eat!

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

I really like the flavor of these crackers, it’s pretty amazing that they are made from green pulp. The soy sauce and nutritional yeast pumps up the flavor and the pulp, flax and chia seeds give them a wonderful texture. I did a little photo shoot with them this morning:

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

See the printable recipe at the end of this post.

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

The “winning” shot:

Green Juice Crackers from Carrie on Living |

Have a great day!

Green Juice Pulp Crackers
Crisp 'n Tasty Green Juice Pulp Crackers - Makes about 12 crackers
Recipe type: Side dish
  • Pulp from 1 bunch of juiced kale leaves and stems and 1 bunch of parsley (about 1½ cups of pulp total)
  • ¼ cup flax meal
  • ¼ cup chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • ¼ cup water
  1. Combine ingredients in a food processor and whirl until combined.
  2. Pour mixture onto a dehydrator sheet or baking sheet and flatten as much as possible using a spatula. Then, use a knife to score batter into crackers.
  3. Dehydrate on 120 degrees for 12 hours and flip. Dehydrator for another 12 hours (24 hours total) or until completely dry and crispy.
  4. If using an oven, use the minimum temperature setting with the convention fan on and keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. I did have not tried making them in an oven so I cannot recommend how long it will take to cook them (let me know if you try it this way!).

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!

1. Gina says

Carrie, you amaze me! I can’t wait to try these! I’ve been trying to figure out to do with all my veggie pulp and these look awesome!

Hi Gina! Thanks, but I can’t take credit for the idea of using pulp to make into crackers, although I did come up with this recipe on my own after a few dismal failures. I think I originally heard about it on the Choosing Raw blog. Do you read this one? It is excellent and the author (Gena) shares your name, although she pronounces it like “Jenna.” Here is the link:

We love our juicer and use it a few times a week – usually with carrots and fruits. We haven’t quite learned to do much with the pulp yet, since our oven doesn’t go low enough to dehydrate. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Even though people in the raw food world claim that dehydrating foods on higher temperatures can destroy helpful enzymes, I don’t know how much of this is fact. So, you can actually use your oven to make traditional raw recipes like these crackers. One website that I read (the link is here: says you can bake the crackers in an oven at 325 for 30 minutes. I have tried this and it works pretty well.

It looks very tasty, I can’t wait to try this. I recently started juicing and find this such a good idea to use the left-over pulp! Much cheaper than all the healthy crackers I find at health food stores… Thanks for sharing :-)

I just discovered this today as I was searching for a way to not let all that beautiful veggie pulp go to waste (been juicing a lot, lately). I will try it out. I know this is a corny question, but… where did you get that pitcher? I love that it’s tightly sealed, and glass with a spout. Looks very practical for daily juicing.

Hi Dominique, sorry it took me awhile to respond to your question. I got the pitcher at Crate & Barrel years ago. I agree, isn’t it great? I love the tight-fitting lid. Let me know if you make the juice pulp crackers and how you like them!

5. Shoshana says

Thank you for your recipe! We just started juicing and I have been trying to figure out what to do with the pulp. I made your crackers today, but I used mostly carrot and beet pulp – which doesn’t seem to be the best. I am looking forward to trying tomorrow using mostly green pulp. I didn’t have nutritional yeast, I put wheat germ and ground flax seeds instead. Do you ever add seeds or nuts? Thanks so much for your recipe! You have inspired me.

Hi Shoshana! Thanks for the note. You could absolutely add seeds to your crackers, hemp or sesame seeds would be fantastic. Sunflower seeds might work too, except they might be a little big. Let me know how your next batch turns out! :)

6. barb says

I’ve just started juicing. my daughter got sick( not related) had to leave before putting up my supplies. so left the pulp out over 8 hrs didn’t know if it’s any good? should I throw it out? this happens from time to time so I’d rather not waste but wont compromise if it’s not good.I just need info. thanks

7. janet lunsford says

I made the crackers, love them BUT they were crisp when I finished them. I allowed to cool completely. After store 3 hrs. or so they reverted to chewy not crisp. UGH!! How do you store yours? What type container or wrap?? thanks!!!

Hi Janet! Hmmm, I am thinking that they didn’t get absolutely 100% dehydrated? Otherwise, that shouldn’t have happened. However, if you live in a damp climate, then I could see that as a possibility. I store mine in a tightly sealed container, but not the fridge. How did you store yours?

8. jan says

It has been rainy/humid past wk. but thought once chips were dry, packaged they would remain dry. I stored mine in plastic, sealed container when they reverted to chewy. I’m going to try storing in wax paper or some other sealed container. I also am learning to dehydrate only on sunny days. I live in VA. thanks for your reply & help. Janet

These crackers literally SAVE me! I just finished a 30 day juice fast, and made a couple of batches of these in my final days. Now, slathered with hummous, or a nice big slice of tomato they are so amazing and I cannot feel guilty in any way when eating them.
    My only problem is overindulgence. Just curious, did you ever work out a nutritional chart for them? I can input the ingredients, although it might be difficult to get nutritional information for pulp! (fibre, fibre and fibre). I’d love to know the breakdown if you ever figured it out!
    Thanks again,