Dairy-Free Egg Nog Smoothie

I love Twitter (follow me here!) and all forms of social media. Just the other day, I tweeted a question about how one would make vegan egg nog from scratch. A mere ten minutes later, I had tweets back with links to several different recipes, so I made my own with that inspiration.

The results? Pure Mmmmm! It even looks like the real thing:

Dairy-Free Egg Nog Smoothie from Carrie on Living | www.carrieonliving.com

Dairy-Free Egg Nog Smoothie
Recipe type: Smoothie or Dessert
Serves: 2
  • ½ cup frozen mango chunks
  • 1½ bananas, frozen
  • 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon flax meal
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 medjool dates, pitted
  1. Place bananas, mango chunks, soy or almond milk, flax meal, pumpkin pie spice, dates and vanilla extract in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
  2. Pour into two glasses, sprinkle the top with extra pumpkin pie spice, if desired, and serve cold.

My goal is to provide inspiration for healthy, balanced living. You can find more links on my Recipes and Resources pages.

I’d love to have you follow me on my social media accounts, too @carrieonliving: FacebookInstagramPinterest, and Twitter

P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.

1. Darryl says

Hi Carrie, your vegan eggnog recipe looks great! I’ll have to give it a try.

I have a different take on bacteria. I believe that our culture has a hypercleanliness obsession, which ironically works to our health detriment. Googling “microbiome” will bring up some fascinating recent research suggesting that our bacterial population is a critical component of good health. Each of us is a walking ecology with ourselves as only one of the participants. In fact, one might think of us as only the bus driver.

Bacteria have coevolved with us since we’ve been on the planet, and the great majority of our resident bacteria are helpful to us, not harmful. As with good garden soil, it’s precisely the prevalence of health-promoting bacteria that keeps the bad guys in check, so a rich, diverse population is critical for good health. We provide our symbiotic bacteria with housing (indeed we give them shelter, warmth, and a portion of our food for nourishment), so they have a vested interest in keeping us operational.

Since I became aware of this a few years ago, I’ve been careful not to be too careful (for example, I have no qualms about eating food that has been in the kitchen sink). I’m just a sample of size 1, but I can report that I never have the least bit of digestive upset, and have had only two mild colds in the past five years (even after 14 and 16-hour overseas flights to China and Australia). No doubt a nutritarian diet, exercise, adequate rest and vitamin D, and controlling stress are key factors, but it also helps to know that my microbiome is watching over me, always on patrol.

Hi Darryl, thanks so much for your input on bacteria. I agree with a lot of what you said. I think there is a fine line between being hyper vigilant and asking for trouble with microorganisms. I was surprised to learn in my Microbiology course that 75% of our immune system is comprised of “healthy” bacteria. However, there are also very dangerous, pathogenic microorganisms in our environment that are not healthy to become exposed to. In the lab where I swabbed surfaces around the house, we were not required to identify which types of bacteria were present. I can only assume that some of them could be pathogenic which is why I continue to wash my hands before eating and not touch my mouth, eyes or nose without washing my hands first. This also decreases the chance of viral infection. So, the bottom line is that, yes, bacteria aren’t necessarily bad, but it is unwise to try to infect yourself without knowing if something is pathogenic or not.

I’m a vegetarian that avoids dairy (because even with pastured cows they have be to be forced to be pregnant all the time so they produce milk) but I do eat eggs. But I only eat them from farms where I have seen the pastured chickens running around, doing their thing, and enjoying their life. I feel very lucky that I have this opportunity and can connect with my farmer because I know not everyone has the opportunity. Factory farming is horrifying, and the crueler we are to animals, the more desensitized we are to human suffering. This is a really great video on the connection between animals and humans by Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ItSthuJhx0&feature=youtu.be

Liz, thank you so much for sending me this link to the TedX talk. It was incredible, it gave me goosebumps and tears. I wish everyone were more aware of the issues so we can at least make informed decisions in our food choices.

3. Rebecca says

Great job speaking out about factory farming! I do not like the idea of treating animals so ruthlessly as a way to maximize profits.

Happy birthday Roxy! My kitty looks just like yours, except she’s only 5 months old. I adopted her from a shelter, I went to visit and all the animals without homes tugged at my vegan heartstrings. I’m so happy to be able to provide her with a loving home :)

This looks awesome!
    I definitely never consume factory farmed animal products—for the inhumanity of it and the scariness of the food contents.
    I’ve tried going without animal products altogether, and I just have a really hard time feeling good based on digestive issues, so I keep it to mostly farm eggs, some cultured dairy from a farm I’ve visited and trust, and very occasionally…meat from farms I trust. The “good” farmers actually love their animals and treat them so well—the animals have a really good life. That being said, I still prefer to consume things like eggs and cultured butter rather than products that require killing the animals.

I love that you make these types of choices, Lisa! My hope would be that more and more people think about where their food comes from. Happy holidays if we don’t “talk” before then. :)